Chili - Beans or No Beans

Options

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    On another forum I'm on (yes..I'm forum addicted embarrassed.gif) one of our most hotly contested topics is whether chili should have beans or not.

This is MUCH more important then November's sillies vote. :bigsmile:

What say you??? :smile:

Shannon you are cheating on us??? :sad: :sad:

course not, baby. sofahider.gif
  • Shannon023
    Options
    On another forum I'm on (yes..I'm forum addicted embarrassed.gif) one of our most hotly contested topics is whether chili should have beans or not.

Shannon you are cheating on us??? :sad: :sad:

course not, baby. sofahider.gif

I'm cheating on them. :bigsmile:
  • Emdicio
    Emdicio Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Gotta have the beans (and Adobo sauce, a pint of Guiness and Coffee)! :tongue:
  • Shannon023
    Options
    Gotta have the beans (and Adobo sauce, a pint of Guiness and Coffee)! :tongue:

Coffee & Guiness IN your chili??? :huh:
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Chili without beans goes on hotdogs...

but firehouse Chili requires beans, usually in several different varieties. If the person sleeping in bed next to you at night isn't having second thoughts, then your Chili doesn't have enough beans in it.

I hope you don't pull the sheets over her head when you release the beans! :laugh:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    It's not just you, its the other 10 forums she belongs to.

:grumble:

She does get around..

Don't hurt me Shannon...or do...:devil:
    :laugh: :laugh:
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Of course beans, Duh.

What I'm not sure about is if this is a weight loss topic or a "what do you put on your hot dog" kind of topic.

I'm wondering if not putting beans in chili is a regional thing, as they're pretty much always there in my experience.
  • Shannon023
    Options
    It's not just you, its the other 10 forums she belongs to.

:grumble:

She does get around..

Don't hurt me Shannon...or do...:devil:
    :laugh: :laugh:

:angry: No I don't. :angry:

Although, I WAS happy to discover that I actually am the mother of my child! rally.gif

I mean.....no I don't. :angry:
  • dothompson
    Options
    For anyone who's mouth was watering following this topic.

This is a Weight Watcher Receipe, I haven't calculated the calories, but it's very light. I'm planning to stick it in the crock pot on Friday, so I don't get tempted to go out when I'm tired on Friday night. I'm making it with Soy Crumbles though. This probably isn't going to appeal to anyone who actually got passionate about this subject.

One Point Hearty Chili

10 oz. Extra lean ground turkey
    1 medium onion, diced
    2 (28 oz) cans diced tomatoes
    1 medium zucchini, diced
    2 medium yellow squash, diced
    1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    2 (15 oz) cans fat-free, reduced sodium chicken broth
    4 celery stalks, diced
    2 green bell peppers, diced
    1 (1 ¼oz) package dry chili seasoning

1. Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over a medium-high heat. Add the turkey and onion and saute until browned, about 5 minutes.
    2. Transfer the browned turkey and onion mixture to a large soup pot and add the tomatoes, zucchini, squash, beans, broth, celery, bell peppers, and chili seasoning. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Continue to simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.

Serving size: 1 cup =1 point
    or
    CORE
  • dothompson
    Options
    Original Chili didn't have beans in it. It's just something we've added as a cheap filler. But my chili has tons of beans. High in fiber and protein way too good for you to leave out. Here's how I make mine it's very thick and very yummy.

Brown 1 pound of hamburger with 1 chopped onion, 1 clove of garlic and salt and pepper. In a blender puree 1 sm can of tomatoes, 1 can of kidney beans, 1 can of chillets, dump in pot then add to pot 1 can of kidney beans(not pureed), 1 can of chillets (not pureed), browned hamburger, chili powder, ground red pepper and paprika (this might all be the same I'm not 100% sure, but I have a can of each I shake into the pot). The amount of spices you use depends on how spice you like it. Simmer a 1hour or so.

Heres the important part. Serve over Fritos and top with shredded cheese.

What the heck is a chillet?
  • Shannon023
    Options
    For anyone who's mouth was watering following this topic.

This is a Weight Watcher Receipe, I haven't calculated the calories, but it's very light. I'm planning to stick it in the crock pot on Friday, so I don't get tempted to go out when I'm tired on Friday night. I'm making it with Soy Crumbles though. This probably isn't going to appeal to anyone who actually got passionate about this subject.

One Point Hearty Chili

10 oz. Extra lean ground turkey
    1 medium onion, diced
    2 (28 oz) cans diced tomatoes
    1 medium zucchini, diced
    2 medium yellow squash, diced
    1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    2 (15 oz) cans fat-free, reduced sodium chicken broth
    4 celery stalks, diced
    2 green bell peppers, diced
    1 (1 ¼oz) package dry chili seasoning

1. Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over a medium-high heat. Add the turkey and onion and saute until browned, about 5 minutes.
    2. Transfer the browned turkey and onion mixture to a large soup pot and add the tomatoes, zucchini, squash, beans, broth, celery, bell peppers, and chili seasoning. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Continue to simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.

Serving size: 1 cup =1 point
    or
    CORE

Where's the 3 bottles of tabasco listed?? :laugh:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    This has Bean a good topic.

Must have beans, onions, and cheese. That is chilli to me.

YUMMY!
    I agree!!!

And the more HEAT, the better.
    (If not in the chilli, then at least as an optional addition)
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Original Chili didn't have beans in it. It's just something we've added as a cheap filler. But my chili has tons of beans. High in fiber and protein way too good for you to leave out. Here's how I make mine it's very thick and very yummy.

Brown 1 pound of hamburger with 1 chopped onion, 1 clove of garlic and salt and pepper. In a blender puree 1 sm can of tomatoes, 1 can of kidney beans, 1 can of chillets, dump in pot then add to pot 1 can of kidney beans(not pureed), 1 can of chillets (not pureed), browned hamburger, chili powder, ground red pepper and paprika (this might all be the same I'm not 100% sure, but I have a can of each I shake into the pot). The amount of spices you use depends on how spice you like it. Simmer a 1hour or so.

Children, cooked in a skillet, then canned.
    They are super tasty in chili!
  • dothompson
    Options

Children, cooked in a skillet, then canned.
    They are super tasty in chili!

Oh, I see why they you might want to puree them then.
  • BEFORE
    BEFORE Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Chili without beans goes on hotdogs...

but firehouse Chili requires beans, usually in several different varieties. If the person sleeping in bed next to you at night isn't having second thoughts, then your Chili doesn't have enough beans in it.
    Bravo well said. (poor Manda)
  • Crystal019
    Options

You know me chica.

Beans!! :bigsmile:
  • Shannon023
    Options

You know me chica.

Beans!! :bigsmile:

That's my girl! wub.gif
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    Beans baby!!:love:

but now I want rice and beans!!!:tongue: