Jillian Michael Videos. Do you....?

Options
Hey,

I have a HRM to tell me exactly what I'm burning when I do any type of exercise. I start the HRM when I start any JM video during the warm up. And then I stop recording just before the cool down.

Do you think I should count the cool down? It's just stretches. But I guess it wouldn't be any different than counting yoga as exercise.

What do you guys do?

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Honestly it is probably minimal so I would not.
  • MTLumps
    MTLumps Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I keep mine on for the whole workout. Most of your calorie burn comes from the workout itself, but I think the whole thing counts as your exercise session...
  • ssc0303
    ssc0303 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I keep mine running until my HR goes back to baseline...
  • thor9424
    thor9424 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have read that you should keep your monitor on until your heart rate goes back to resting rate. That will be a while even after the cool down. You are not counting calories that are being burned, but if you would like to keep those calories off your food chart as an extra bonus, then shut it off!!
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I leave it on until my HR goes back to the starting rate. After all, you're still burning the extra exercise calories when it's still elevated.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I count the full workout for her power yoga DVDs. Heart rate is still elevated during the cool down.
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    I leave my HRM on until the workout is completely over. Your heart rate is still up, even during a cool down. Leaving it on during the stretch may not add a ton of calories, but I like to monitor the entire workout for tracking purposes.
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I leave it on until my HR goes back to the starting rate. After all, you're still burning the extra exercise calories when it's still elevated.

This is what I do...
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Every single workout that you do should include a warm up & a cool down...it is part of your workout, you should count your calories burned from start to finish.
  • LemonCitron
    LemonCitron Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks ladies!!!
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I keep mine running until my HR goes back to baseline...

Same here.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I just stop my HRM when my rate drops below 100. For me, when it's over 100bpm, it still feels elevated; below that, not so much. There's a certain amount of calories that you would burn during that time if you weren't exercising. So, it's better to error on the side of caution to not overestimate your burn.
  • Licacorona
    Licacorona Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I leave mine until the workout ends. Any extra calories burned after that are an added bonus :)
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I have read that you should keep your monitor on until your heart rate goes back to resting rate. That will be a while even after the cool down. You are not counting calories that are being burned, but if you would like to keep those calories off your food chart as an extra bonus, then shut it off!!

I've heard this too but I personally shut it off after my workout is over and don't count the after-burn. I don't really have a 'reason' for doing this, I just always have.
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I start it as soon as the warmup starts, and then I stop it after the cool down is over and the workout is completely done.
  • veriviki
    veriviki Posts: 44
    Options
    I start my HRM as soon as I begin my workout, then shut it off as soon as my heart rate drops below my target zone.