is it still 1200 calories if I am working out?

Options
Should I still aim for 1200 while working out daily? I find that I go over and I wonder if this is preventing a larger weight loss amount.

Replies

• mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    yes...but 1200 NET calories. Eat back your exercise calories. You'll go over your intake, but you're net calorie intake will be 1200.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    No, watch your diary & after you add your daily exercise, your daily calorie goal for the day will change.
    There are different ideas on whether you chould eat back all or some of your exercise calories.
    I would encourage you to eat at least half of them back if not all. Exercising revs up your metabolism
    & you need to re-fuel your body so that it will run efficiently for you.
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    I burn about 400 a day and do not eat them back. I don't think the program is quite as accurate as others do, but that's just my opinion. If my BMR is 1183 I don't see how I can eat 1200 cals in a day and still lose, according to this site .6 pounds per week. And if I enter that I'd like to lose 1 pound per week or 1.5 pounds per week, it still suggests that I eat 1200. (Yes, I know....it can't "legally" tell me to eat less than 1200 cause it's not healthy......blah blah blah) If I exercise 400 off and eat 1600 / day, I'm going to gain weight. Period. I do not think that one-size fits all or one diet "suggestion" fits all.

Learn by trial and error and do what works for you. Best of luck!
  • Dreawolf
    Dreawolf Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    As long as you never go below 1200 calories a day no matter what. When you do that, your body goes into starvation mode and starts "eating/using" your muscles for energy. So just make sure of that and after you work out eating something with protein within 45 minutes of a workout. . :)
    If your eating back all your exercise calories in my opinion your not creating much of a calorie deficit. You could always try staying close to 1200 or so for a few weeks and see if it works for you since everyones body works differently.:smile:
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I burn about 400 a day and do not eat them back. I don't think the program is quite as accurate as others do, but that's just my opinion. If my BMR is 1183 I don't see how I can eat 1200 cals in a day and still lose, according to this site .6 pounds per week. And if I enter that I'd like to lose 1 pound per week or 1.5 pounds per week, it still suggests that I eat 1200. (Yes, I know....it can't "legally" tell me to eat less than 1200 cause it's not healthy......blah blah blah) If I exercise 400 off and eat 1600 / day, I'm going to gain weight. Period. I do not think that one-size fits all or one diet "suggestion" fits all.

I don't really want to get into it but for the record, I wasn't loosing weight because I had the exact same idea as you until someone shouted at me to eat more. Now? I've lost 6lb and I eat up to 1300 a day. (& to be frank I've a really tiny frame so I don't need much food)
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options

I don't really want to get into it but for the record, I wasn't loosing weight because I had the exact same idea as you until someone shouted at me to eat more. Now? I've lost 6lb and I eat up to 1300 a day. (& to be frank I've a really tiny frame so I don't need much food)

That's fantastic! I'm so glad that works for YOU. Unfortunately, my results were were the opposite. I did not lose weight. Kind of why I said - one size does not fit all.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have found in my experience that the people that eat 1200 calories slow their progress. What you need to eat is based upon your BMR and your exercise calories. Calculating your BMR is integral to success. Because if your body burns 1500 calories at rest and then you workout and burn 500 calories.. it means you burn 2000 calories a day. If you only eat 1200 calories, your deficit is 800 calories and that is way too big of your deficit. There are two ways to do it:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

or my preference because it utlizes Lean Body Mass

http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

The bottom one will give you a better assessment but you need to know your body fat %.