Kid friendly cake recipe

Options
ladybg81
ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
My son's 3rd bday is coming up and like any good mommy, I want to make his cupcakes from scratch. I did his cake last year and it was AMAZING but not at all low fat or healthy. I am really struggling because all the other foods I will be serving are very healthy (and tasty) so I am wondering if I should just splurge a little and make last year's cake into cupcakes (seriously, AMAZING cake!!) Thoughts?

Any good recipes you want to share. I looked on skinny taste but did not see anything I wanted to try.

Replies

• dbendelow
    dbendelow Posts: 27
    Options
    i have a yummy chocolate fudge cake recipe but its not healthy at all. your welcome to it though if you want it
  • Shutterpillar
    Shutterpillar Posts: 208
    Options
    if it were me, I would just splurge a little on the cake and make sure to do some exercising later. Maybe try to fill up on some of the healthy snacks so you dont want so much cake.

Happy birthday to the little guy! I have the same dilemma coming up. my daughter has a birthday in a couple weeks.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    i have a yummy chocolate fudge cake recipe but its not healthy at all. your welcome to it though if you want it

That is what mine is too!!! I also make a homemade buttercream icing to go with it. OMG, I can not describe how good it is!!!
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Not knowing the components of the actual recipe I am wondering if you could swap anything out -- egg whites instead of whole egg, sweet n low brown instead of brown sugar, apple sauce instead fo vegetable oil...that sort of thing. If you haven't tried it yet I highly recommend you use the Recipe Builder Option in Track Foods - enter all your usual ingredients and the expected # of cupcakes you think it will yield and let MFP do the math. You can edit the recipe with swaps you think could work and see how the changes effects the calories per cup cake. Knowlege is Power!

Then, as a side note...I'm thinking 3 year old = Sponge Bob watcher... maybe you could do something with pineapple and low sugar angel food cake mix or

carrot cake -- just because it has carrot in it LOL