hypocrite

Options
Ok so thinking of getting a personal trainer to help me develop a new workout plan. But at the gym I go to there is about three overweight trainers. I don't mean 10 pounds overweight but more like 30+ pounds overweight. So reason why I haven't attempted to get a trainer is because am afraid they will want to assign me to one of the overweight trainers and how I would have to tell them "NO" and try to explain myself. Why?, because I feel that first of all that my trainer needs to be a my fitness level. Secondly, if they can't represent what they are promting, which is fitness and health how can they train me? Is it their knowlege that I should be after and not what they are at with their own weight?

So where is the hypocrite question coming from? As a nurse, we promote health. We teach patients the affects of drinking to much alcohol, not being healthy,eating to much salt, being overweight, smoking ect, ect. But nurses are the worse, its amazing how many nurses smoke or that are overweight, I guess patients can look at us in the same manner?

So what is your opinion?

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    it's your money. Your money, your choice of trainer. Good luck and we are behind you!

I left my acupuncturist for the same exact reason - he called himself a 'healer' and he's morbidly obese.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I would simply say- I wouldnt hire an obeise dietician, just like I wouldnt hire a hair stylist with a mullet!!! Enough said!
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I think your point is entirely valid.
    We, as nurses, spend so much time trying to help others that we often neglect ourselves.
    One, among the many, of my reasons for investing time and commitment to MFP.
    I want to be the model for what I profess to my patients, and my family and friends. I want people to do as I do and not just as I say and have it be beneficial to them!
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    Definitely request who you would want. Maybe it will make them re-assess what they are offering!
  • musica814
    musica814 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I agree, I wouldn't feel comfortable with an overweight trainer. What motivates me when I work out to Jillian Michael's DVD's, for example, is her amazing healthy and toned physique. If she was overweight and out of breath, she wouldn't be very motivating to me and I would be much less likely to respect her as a trainer. As someone else says, it's your money so ultimately nobody can (or should) fault you for whatever decision you make.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    it's your money. Your money, your choice of trainer. Good luck and we are behind you!

I left my acupuncturist for the same exact reason - he called himself a 'healer' and he's morbidly obese.

Exactly! You are spending money on a trainer - get the one you want. I will say this about trainers and my experience. I was trained by a man and he trained me like he would a man. By that I mean he had me lifting a LOT. My bench is up to 130lbs after 6 months of working with him. What I liked about him was that he was an ex-fighter so instead of 'regular' cardio exercises, we did a lot of boxing and martial arts. I see how women train other women though and they train them really to look like women whereas I have humongous biceps that I now need to taper down a bit. I'm now training women and I have a hard time stepping back from how I was taught.
  • monchand
    monchand Posts: 62 Member
    Options

We, as nurses, spend so much time trying to help others that we often neglect ourselves.

I so agree, that we care that into every part of our lives!!!
  • MissMoxy08
    MissMoxy08 Posts: 32
    Options
    I would simply say- I wouldnt hire an obeise dietician, just like I wouldnt hire a hair stylist with a mullet!!! Enough said!

I agree. One big difference to me is, as a nurse, the sole purpose of your job isn't to tell people how to eat right or how to quit smoking etc. A personal trainer... that IS their job. That's the only function they have. They're suppose to tell you how to eat and exercise so you can be in shape and healthy. It's amazing they got their jobs. I absolutely could not listen to a trainer who was as out of shape as me or worse. I would end up snapping and asking them why they aren't down in the floor doing crunches with me. lol And it really makes it hard to trust their advice.
  • lynda167
    lynda167 Posts: 7
    Options
    I wouldn't go to a dentist with bad teeth, and I wouldn't use a trainer who isn't representing the results I'm looking for. That being said, the right trainer is really hard to find. Even if they look how you'd expect, not all trainers are going to work for you. I think its normal to try out a bunch of trainers - not everyone provides motivation in the way you need/want it - so I'd say to take a chance. If you don't like the trainer - because of their weight, or more likely thier training style (some are REALLY boring, or try to make you feel guilty) - you can try a different one - until you find the right person for you! :)
  • monchand
    Options

nicely put!!
  • cindysharp1
    cindysharp1 Posts: 20
    Options
    I agree with you , I would have a hard time doing what a trainer told me to if they were overweight. I would ask to talk to the manager or owner of the gym and explain your concern!! It is a very valid one. My trainer at the gym where I go is worried about her image as a trainer because she just found out that she is preganant. I wouldn't be surprised if I walked in and she had on a t -shirt stating that she was with child not just gaining weight. When you are in certain professions you have to be worried about your body image. Sorry but we are there to get in shape!!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    One a thought on the other side of the spectrum- Maybe they used to be fatter than they are now and they are working on themselves. They could have just gotten a degree. The postive on that is that they might be more up to date on the newest info and they will have a total understanding of where you have been and what you have done to change. Maybe you should talk to them and interview them like you would a babysitter for your kid. Just a thought.
  • monchand
    Options
    @DLAPLUME2
    true, true....but still...!!!! :huh:

but yes maybe I should do an interview and see where they are at with their fitness and health.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    One a thought on the other side of the spectrum- Maybe they used to be fatter than they are now and they are working on themselves. They could have just gotten a degree. The postive on that is that they might be more up to date on the newest info and they will have a total understanding of where you have been and what you have done to change. Maybe you should talk to them and interview them like you would a babysitter for your kid. Just a thought.

Exactly what I was going to say. I have been taking this Kickboxing class at the Y, and the instructor is easily 30+ lbs over "ideal weight", muffin top and all. But she is an amazing instructor, and has lost a ton of weight herself, and it helps me, because I feel likes she can relate to where I've been and where I want to go. But having said that, I do agree you want someone who is at LEAST at your level now, or slightly above your level, otherwise it would feel like a waste to me.
  • blondeamity
    Options
    I once wanted to be a personal trainer. So I job shadowed a lot. I was given a lot of different advice but there was one thing they all told me that was the same. That the personal trainer business is cut throat. You not only have to know your stuff (meaning get a degree in physical fitness), but you have to be in good shape. They all agreed that as a personal trainer you are your own advertisement. So all those "fat" trainers you mentioned are just making it harder on themselves.
    So as a paying customer you shouldn't have to settle. Tell them up front, "I want a personal trainer and I want to choose who will train me." If they say it doesn't work that way then they don't get your money. As simple as that. Personal trainers are there to help you push yourself. But if your not willing to listen or do as they say then your just wasting your money.
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    This topic came up in my class when i was studying to become a personal trainer.
    I myself, am a pretty fit person & always chose personal trainers that were HOT!!! lol

However, during my class discussion some valid points were made....
    Perhaps some one that was quite obese may feel uncomfortable with a tiny trainer, or think that they would not understand the trials & tribulations of an over weight person. For this reason, trainers should come in different shapes and sizes.
    Certain clientelle wants a certain trainer...we have to fill the needs for all ranges of the spectrum.
    Also, we are all different & it is possible that the trainer has a medical issue...or something that prevents her from being skinny.
    That being said, there are many people who are athletes that don`t necessarily fit the mold.... If you challenged them to a run....who knows, they might just leave you in the dust!! lol

So aside from the arguement about how a trainer should look, the main point to keep in mind is the education behind the trainer...there really is a science behind it, just because the trainer isn`t fit, doesn`t mean he or she can`t whip you into shape.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm not the personal trainer type. I'm the kind of person who wants to go to the gym and do what *I* want to do. I don't want someone in my face telling me I can do it, keep going or whatever. I enjoy learning what works with my body and what doesn't. I've seen personal trainers who do the same exact thing with every single client they train. We are all different and I don't want to do the same thing everyone else does - because it may or may not work with me.

That being said, I'm not sure that working with an overweight trainer would be a horrible thing -- if I were heavier than they are and they've lost weight. I think those of us who've lost weight and are working to keep it off would probably be some of the best trainers. We are real. We know the struggles of weight loss and maintaining it. I'm not sure that someone who has always been thin, never struggled with weight, etc would be the best to train someone. How can you relate to what the other person is feeling?
  • johnnythebaptist
    Options
    Just a qestion? If I have a nurse that smokes and is over weight and not in so good of health,,,I should not take treatment from them even though they know the treatment ?
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options

@johngallardo Thank you!!! Educate before you judge. Just because someone "looks" good doesnot mean they're healthy OR good at what they do.

@monchand> It's your money....get recommendations or reviews where ever you go. Test the trainer out.
  • monchand
    Options
    @johngallardo
    that is why am asking this question, looking at other memebers views on this question. But I can tell you one thing, I am treated differently now that am "THIN" then when i was overweight....which can take us into another whole differenet direction on this conversation. :happy: