Sugar Eaters Anonymous

Options
2»

Replies

• nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    My sugar addiction is the only reason I'm any kind of overweight. I don't eat much fat or white starches. Most of my meals are small portions, until I smell the sweets. I am a cook and a baker so I have so much trouble staying away at work. For home, I try not to buy candies or pastries but my fiance does. I've asked him to only buy sweets with nuts in them since I'm allergic. He's also learned that if the sweets don't have nuts he'd better hide them or they will disappear before he gets any. I don't have the ability to stop until it's all gone. I can dish a small portion but will keep on going back for more until it's all gone.
  • lhalstead76
    lhalstead76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I will drink some unsweetened vanilla almond milk (trader joes is awesome) when I'm wanting sweets, usually at night. But during the day, I fight it because I don't ant to put it down on my food log, and see it slapping me in the face. It's been keeping me in check. A snickers is like almost 300 calories. I have to be on the elliptical an hour to burn 500 calories, and I want to burn off the real food so the exercise counts, not just burn off a candy bar. Give me a week, and I will have to be looking for substitutes. I do buy this Gnu Fiber bar (chocolate brownie flavor) @ whole foods and it's got 12 grams of fiber, so it fills you up, and fiber is great for you anyway. Here's the nutrition label, check them out.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 1 bar (45g)
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 140Calories from Fat 35
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 4g 6%
    Saturated Fat 1g 4%
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 30mg 2%
    Total Carbohydrate 30g 10%
    Dietary Fiber 12g 48%
    Soluble Fiber 8g
    Insoluble Fiber 4g
    Sugars 9g
    Other Carbohydrate 9g
    Protein 4g 6%
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    My name is Susan, and I'm a sugar addict.

I had to cut carbs cold turkey for a couple of weeks to break the sugar habit (South Beach Phase 1) . This really helped me cure it -- most of the time, I am able to say "no" to a sugary treat. My sister gave me 3 Snickers/Reeses eggs for Easter (my ABSOLUTE FAV!), and I still have 2 left. (YAY!)

Before everyone goes postal on me for a "fad diet" I have introduced whole grains and fruit back into my diet (Phase 2) - being careful to recognize my "sugar triggers." I have noticed that certain carbs will trigger my sugar habit, and if have too many, I am hungry all of the time. (today I had more than normal, and I have been hungry all day. Going to snack on protein tonight!)

I still have "treats" -- most of the time with sugar free versions, and sometimes I allow myself the real deal. Just depends on how badly I want it, and how much I'm willing to work out to get it!