800+ Calories left, but already over on sugar and sodium

Options
vanb0052
vanb0052 Posts: 50 Member
So...I have a battle brewing here. I have over 800 calories left for the day, but have gone over on my sodium, sugar, and protein. I can't figure out how to eat enough calories, but also stay under these other goals! Feel free to take a look at my diary and offer any suggestions.

Thank you!

Replies

• Lefriedline
    Lefriedline Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem too! Definitely looking forward to these answers...
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'll be interested to see the responses you get! The same thing happens to me pretty frequently.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    you went over the sugar because of 2 pieces of fruit....if its fruit you dont count the sugar in this because its a different kind of sugar....and american healthy guidelines is about 5 pieces of fruit per day.......drink lots of water for the sodium
  • miguel3074
    miguel3074 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and you will need to get away from the processed foods like the cheese and the lunch meat. Basically if it didn't go from raw to cooked when you made it it will have added salt/sugar. Also bread is destroying your sugar counts as well. Try to balance out to about 200-300 calories 5 times per day to spread out hunger spikes. Natural fruits, veggies and meats are the key. Use complex carbs like brown rice and quinoa instead of bread.
  • miguel3074
    miguel3074 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Also have you tried the books Eat This Not That for healthier choices?
  • mrsdaytons
    mrsdaytons Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Some things u need to cut are the hot dogs and all the cheese. The soduim that u had just in that one meal is what put u over greatly. Most prosessed foods have a lot of soduim, which u need to stay away from. In reference to the sugar, as long is u are not eating loads of refined sugar, u will be ok because most of yours was from fruit. Hope this helps :)
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    You have to cut asap has too much sodium!!! Roundy's - Fat Free American Cheese Singles, 2 slice 620
    Try to eat more vegetable instead of even brown rice. If you want to eat cheese I would suggest to eat mozzarella string cheese.
    Now the other is Jell-O Pudding Snacks - Chocolate Sugar Free, 1 snack which has 180 way too much of sodium!
    Ken's Light Italian Dressing - Salad Dressing, 2 tbs 230 sodium???

Try to make your own dressing because the one that you buy in shops is full of bad calories. I make it with non flavored yogurt, salt, pepper, bit of extra virgin olive oil or if I don't feel like eating yogurt I make from balsamic vinaigre.
    These are easy to make and will change totally your diet.
    Heinz - Tomato Ketchup 40 oz, 1 Tbsp has too much sodium and sugar added try to avoid or eat like once a week only a bit from it. Oscar Mayer - Hardwood Smoked Turkey Hotdogs, 3 link I don't know if you realized but these links are the most dangerous food to eat( small and has way too much calorie) eat instead of hot-dog some turkey breast or chicken ham or deep fried ( you can eat more from these and will have less calorie/sodium intake! If you would like just friend me and check my diary!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i dont worry about healthy fats (like olive oil/avocado/nuts) or lean proteins, or sugar from healthy whole sources like fruits and veg.

i DO concern myself with sodium.. i stay well under 1500mg sodium per day. Feel free to have a look at my diary for ideas if you wish...

note:
    i used very little 'processed' foods like frozen meals or canned items like soups. i always get no salt added canned tomatoes etc etc.

cooking from scratch let's you control the salt *S*
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about the sugar because it's from fruit. Being over on your protein a little bit is ok too. The sodium is not good. Drink lots of water to flush it out, and try to limit the processed foods. I'd also try and get some extra veggies in too.

But overall, it looks like you are eating ok. Good job.
  • 153rebeccak
    Options
    I had a look at your diary and you need to reduce the processed foods you eat, they all contain sooooo much sodium. Maybe think about becoming healthy, as well as losing weight? If you have to make it yourself from fresh stuff, at least you'll know how much sodium is in there! : )
  • FryingPanda
    FryingPanda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Things like hotdogs and sausages also tend to have lots of sodium in them. Cheese is also bad for sodium, especially the more processed it is.

Sugar is a debacle. I've always thought that listed sugars were simple ones, meaning fruits should count and at the end of the day glucose, fructose and galactose all get broken down the same or stored regardless of the source. Having said that, if the source is from fruits and veg probably not the end of the world, while if it is a refined source, maybe moderation or cutting out is a good idea. That and I found in my browsing of the web that there is no actual daily limit to sugar (didn't really investigate though so may be untrue). Sorry, that was a little venty...

If you are finding you are going over your Sodium consistently and one or two other goals you may want to plan out your entire days food and activities to try and figure out a balanced plan.
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Processed foods have lots of salt as do lots of "diet" or fat free foods...try & stay away from those types of foods & try and eat more whole (clean) foods!
    Do not worry about sugars that come from Fruits, they are natural sugars & not the ones you have to worry about.
    Also myself personally, I always Hoover on proteins, these are clean & lean protein sources & I work out alot, so I knowthat I need that!!
  • morningjog
    morningjog Posts: 8
    Options
    This is easy to answer because you kept a great Diary!

The sugar was mostly because of two pieces of fruit. I wouldn't worry about that one, because you went over only by a tiny bit and it's NOT processed sugar and the fruits were probably good for you even if they gave you a slight surplus of sugar.

So on to the more serious problem, the sodium: this is heavily because of two items, Turkey Hotdogs and American Cheese Singles. Sodium galore! I would watch out for those two. Aren't those heavily processed foods? They stick all kinds of sodium in them to trick you into liking them.

Good luck and congratulations on the great job on your Diary.
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and being over the sugar limit was from fruits They are good for you so don't stress about it but keep in mind calories are calories and too much fruit increases sugar and may increase hunger. Blue berries, raspberries, and blackberries are lowest in sugar. Good on cereal or just for snacking.

Stay away from processed foods as others above have stated. I love a good brat or hotdog but if you're going to splurge plan for it ahead of time. Not the healthiest but you don't want to deprive yourself of things you enjoy, just use moderation or earn it by planning ahead and increasing exercise.

Remember if something is low fat then more than likely they have increased the sugars, sodium etc. to keep the flavor appealing. Always read labels when you grocery shop and buy based on an informed decision. If you are concerned for fat and sodium then buy accordingly. For me being Type 2 diabetic I try to watch sugars and balance my carbs along with limiting sodium.

Friend me if you want. My diary, although not perfect, may give you some ideas. We all need new ideas to stay on track and do better. Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • chriscaissie
    Options
    Love these books!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    You have to start watching during the day. I would not worry so much about sugar because your carb cover it. If your carbs are ok don't worry. As long as you are not eating a lot of empty calories from sweets. Watch the soduim content in the food you are eating. If it is a lot of processed foods they have a lot of salt.
  • vanb0052
    vanb0052 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    what books?? :)
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    The book series Cook This, Not That and Eat This, Not That. There are a few of each and are very good resources. You can buy them at Costco, any bookstore or go online and search out a deal. We cook recipes from them all the time and they are good! Also shows pictures of food products to stay away from and suggests substitutes for them.. There is also one for fast food/restaurants that shows dishes not to order but what to order instead. Search them out and see what you think. I worked with a woman that was featured in the latest book. Just by following their recipes and eating only the products they suggested for her meal plans combined with daily exercise, she lost 90 pounds.

Good luck!
  • thisishowwepray
    Options
    I have noticed that this is ALWAYS true for me so far, and the sugar is definitely a result of recording the sugar in fruit. I am a big fruit eater and it has never hindered my weight loss in the past (I have weighed 20+ pounds more than I do now and eating fruit instead of simple carbs and in place of more calorie-dense snacks has always been one of my weight loss tools). I do think cutting down on sodium would be a good idea, though.

One other note is that you should see if this is happening regularly, because if it isn't, it is nothing to worry about. Some days you will go under with certain nutrients and some days you will go over. Don't make it too complicated for yourself!