Low-Cal, Low-Fat Dessert? Yes please!

Options
Being an "almost dietitian" (I'm an intern with 2 months left of my internship, YES!) I have told my patients many, many times about healthy "alternatives" to dessert... like fruit with low-fat cool whip, etc.

I'll be honest with ya... for me, dessert has to be a little bit more than that. Sometimes that's delicious... but most of the time, I want the good stuff. Ice cream, cookies, cake, pudding... oh my.

My biggest weakness and most difficult struggle as far as dieting goes has been ice cream and cookies. I had a really hard time controlling myself. Well... I've found an awesome solution to my problem, besides self-control.

Kroger Vanilla Frozen Yogurt, a 1/2 cup is only 100 calories! Pair that with a Keebler Baker's Treasure chocolate chip cookie (only 70 calories) and a little bit of Hershey's chocolate syrup... and you have a yummy dessert for under 200 calories. Something I can definitely fit in most days!

Just wondering if anyone else has any other tricks or tips on not so guilty desserts? Especially pudding... chocolate... cake... omg... :)

Replies

• unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Have to go to work but would love to see what response you get :)
  • ksuhre
    ksuhre Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'll have one of the jello chocolate mousse temptations with 2 teaspoons of peanut butter. Its a substitute for reeses, but in my opinion it tastes way better.
  • smackie01
    smackie01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite treats is to take a graham crackers and put cool whip in between them and put in the freezer. Tastes just like a ice cream sandwich. It was a wieght watchers reciepe. Great low calorie snack.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    It's warming up outside and I've been having sherbert. Mmmmmmm....

It's like ice cream, but less fatty and more fruity. :flowerforyou:
  • timeforachange2011
    Options
    love the jello temptations as well! They are already portioned out and they are super tasty! The strawberry cheesecake with strawberry topping is pretty good but the double chocolate is amazing!! :) Also, the Fig Newton "thins" are actually pretty good as well, 3 large cookies for only 140 calories!
  • michelleisgettinfit
    Options
    One of my new favorite things is something I got from another thread on here.
    Cut up a banana
    Freeze it for an hour
    Blend it up until it becomes the consistency of ice cream
    Add peanut butter, cocoa powder, pb2 or whatever your heart desires.
    Yummy good low carb, low cal treat. :)
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite treats is to take a graham crackers and put cool whip in between them and put in the freezer. Tastes just like a ice cream sandwich. It was a wieght watchers reciepe. Great low calorie snack.

You just gave me the best idea ever.
  • bparsont
    bparsont Posts: 50
    Options
    My new find is "So Delicious" Coconut Milk Ice Cream Sandwiches. They are to die for and only 100 calories. I try and stay away from artificial crap like cool whip. It's great to watch calories but to put things like "grease" and artificial sweetners into your body is counter productive to healthy living IMO. You can eat "real" foods and still lose weight, I'm living proof of it.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Jello mousse temptations on top of a chocolate vita top with sliced strawberries!!!
  • Calidaho
    Calidaho Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love sugar free angel food cake with strawberries that have been macerated in truvia topped with fat free whipped cream. 60 calories for a slice of cake--and it is a pretty big slice, 10-20 cals for the whipped topping and 50-75 cals for the strawberries. So yummy. Plus, the cake actually has some protein in it!

And I am addicted to Jello 60 calorie pudding snacks. Dark chocolate is my favorite because it is really chocolatey.
  • Calidaho
    Calidaho Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Another treat I like to go out for is Penguin's Frozen Yogurt. I don't know what kind of voodoo they have going on there but the sugar free, fat free flavors are 8 calories per ounce. I top it with mini marshmallows for texture. Their website is under construction at http://www.penguinsfrozenyogurt.com/. It might be a local chain but I am sure other froyo places have a similar offering.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Protein fluff
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/212981-protein-fluff-dessert

This is probably 2 serves for most but I like a mass dessert :P

Or
    1 cup cottage cheese
    30g choc whey
    1 tbsn natural pb
    bit of skim milk

Or
    1cup cottage cheese
    1tbsn natural pb
    1tspn honey

Not overly low cal but they are high protein and just adjust the serving size to suit your calorie requirements.
  • caterpillar2Butterfly
    Options
    Bump
  • snickerpants
    snickerpants Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Semi-frozen yogurt with a tablespoon of either maple syrup, chocolate sauce or honey. It's sweet, kinda solid, and not as caloric as Ben and Jerry's.

I second the frozen graham cracker cookies - I use about 1.5 teaspoons of frosting (left over from birthdays n'stuff) but they are less caloric than cake and still tasty!