Help please, suggestions welcome

Options
I have been at this for a few weeks now and am at a loss. I initially lost 8lbs and have since gained a pound at each of my last 2 weigh ins. I started at a 1200 cal goal and lost but have bumped it up to the 1500 that is my BMR because I thought I may be holding on to weight due to low calories. My excersise is not well planned but it does happen at least 4 times a week. Usually cardio stuff because I am a massage therapist and find when I do weights(even at low weight/reps) I often end up too sore to feel I am working efficiently the next day, should I just suck it up and be in pain for the next few weeks? I have low iron that I am currently supplementing for and my doc thinks my muscle fatigue/pain may go away once my iron is in a healthy range again. Suggestions are welcome. My food diary is missing some days but that is a fairly good picture of what I am eating, I have not had much in the way of cravings, so the food part is easy(er).

Replies

• Slayer66
    Slayer66 Posts: 265
    Options
    Hi, I only checked the one day, hehe, but we seem to eat similar carb to fat to protein wise. I also suffer from anemia too, never heard of it causing pain, fatigue yes but not pain.

From what I see here a lot of the first initial weight loss is water associated. I dropped quite a few pounds at start then gained as i gained muscle from weights and I average 1300 to 1800 cals a day.

Do you drink plenty of water? showed 0 cups on day i looked at.

Not much help to you but hopefully gives you something to compare to as a fellow low iron person =)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It appears you are eating right. Your might want to lower your carbs. I would suggest doing a custom setup (40/40/20) carbs/proteins/fats. Also, make sure your carbs are whole wheat/whole grain carbs. Also, you really should do weight training. Soreness means your muscles are growing. Over time that will decrease. Also, getting enough protein post workout can help reduce the soreness. I do fat free milk with EAS protein and it has helped me. Also, more muscle means you can eat more and burn more calories.
  • jentidd
    jentidd Posts: 80
    Options
    make sure your activity level is correct, as an massage therapist, you will burn more calories in a day than someone with a desk job. This could make a difference in your BMR.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for taking a look for me. I do drink a ton of water, over my 8 cups a day most of the time, I just don't bother logging what I know I am already doing right. I am eating a 40-30-30 carbs, protein, fat ratio with all whole grains(when I do grains at all) and I try to get most of my carbs from veggies and fruit. I do have a long weekend coming up so maybe I will get fired up on the weights and get rid of most of the resulting pain/fatigue/weakness in a shorter stretch on days I am not having to actually do my job well. I have a pretty high pain threshold but the iron deficency and muscle pain makes it really difficult. Wish me luck it may be an interesting weekend. Thanks again for taking a peek.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thank you all for taking a look for me. I do drink a ton of water, over my 8 cups a day most of the time, I just don't bother logging what I know I am already doing right. I am eating a 40-30-30 carbs, protein, fat ratio with all whole grains(when I do grains at all) and I try to get most of my carbs from veggies and fruit. I do have a long weekend coming up so maybe I will get fired up on the weights and get rid of most of the resulting pain/fatigue/weakness in a shorter stretch on days I am not having to actually do my job well. I have a pretty high pain threshold but the iron deficency and muscle pain makes it really difficult. Wish me luck it may be an interesting weekend. Thanks again for taking a peek.

I would try increasing your protein by 10% and reduce fat by 10%. Since I started following this diet, I have yet to plateau. It may work for you.
  • youngmomtaz
    Options
    Will give it a try! Would be nice to see the scale move in the correct direction this week!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Your food diary is actually one of the better ones that I've seen, and no obvious reason for no weight loss. It may be that you dropped a lot of water initally and your body is trying to catch up with the fat loss. The one thing I would suggest is substituting more fish or poultry for the beef and pork. Whenever I want to see the scale move, I do fish (salmon, especially) with some steamed veggies for dinner, and that seems to really help.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Food diary looks pretty damn good to me.

I second the, should do some resistance training as well as cardio. You will get DOMS for the first few times but really after that it shouldn't be too severe that it would hamper your working ability.
  • youngmomtaz
    Options
    Have done weight training twice since OP. Once Wed evening and once this morning. I am making sure to have a high protein snack/meal directly after working out and have been icing sore muscles as needed. Hopefully by my Sunday weight training more of the muscle soreness will have passed. It helps that it is raining this weekend, I am more apt to do the weights than run because if I cannot run outside I just don't. Treadmills are no fun.

I do have a lot of pork and beef in my diet. We own a small hobby farm and that just happens to be what I have in my freezer right now. I do buy grocery store chicken occasionally but my meat birds will not be ready for the freezer until September, and the lambs by October. My new layers will also start producing in the fall. As for fish, we love in the middle of nowhere, in a town of only 600 so the only fish I can find are freezerburned in the freezer section. We do plan on stocking some trout in the dugout next spring so that will add a bit more variety. I am really having issues getting in all my protein. I am so thankful for whey protein(I order online) or I would be struggling so much more!