Easy Pizza Crust

Options
ChubbyBunny
ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
As a home ec teacher I have learned kids LOVE pizza. To be honest, it's not a horrible food... IF made properly. I've seen some pizza recipes run through here, but this is one I teach my kids and of course it can be made healthier then this by altering a few ingredients (use wheat flour, less oil, less sugar, etc). I like using stuff I have on hand. Hope you like it!

1 package (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (110 degrees-115 degrees)
2 tablespoons olive oil (can fiddle with this to see if less works)
1 teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
2 ½ - 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
Cornmeal
Tomato sauce/Pizza sauce
Pizza Toppings

1. Preheat ovens to 425 degrees.
2. In a glass measuring cup dissolve yeast in the cup of warm water(it should bubble when it’s done, if necessary add a pinch of sugar to activate it).
3. In a large bowl add yeast mixture, oil, sugar, salt, and 1 ½ cups flour. Beat until smooth.
4. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough (not sticky and not too soft).
5. Turn dough onto floured surface and let rest for 10 minutes.
6. Roll dough into a 13 inch circle. Grease a 12 inch pizza pan and sprinkle with cornmeal.
7. Transfer dough to prepared pan, building up edges slightly. Pokes several holes into the crust with a fork. DO NOT LET RISE!
8. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
9. Add desired toppings; bake 10-15 minutes more or until cheese is melted.

Makes 1 pizza crust (serving 8)

Nutrition info (JUST for 1 piece, add topping info to journal):
Calories 189
Total Fat 3.8
Chol 0mg
Sodium 73.8mg
Potassium 51.3
Carbs 33.5g
Sugars 0.6g
Fiber 1.2g
Protein 4.5g

Replies

• ChubbyBunny
    Options
    As a home ec teacher I have learned kids LOVE pizza. To be honest, it's not a horrible food... IF made properly. I've seen some pizza recipes run through here, but this is one I teach my kids and of course it can be made healthier then this by altering a few ingredients (use wheat flour, less oil, less sugar, etc). I like using stuff I have on hand. Hope you like it!

1 package (1/4 oz) active dry yeast
    1 cup warm water (110 degrees-115 degrees)
    2 tablespoons olive oil (can fiddle with this to see if less works)
    1 teaspoon sugar
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    2 ½ - 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
    Cornmeal
    Tomato sauce/Pizza sauce
    Pizza Toppings

1. Preheat ovens to 425 degrees.
    2. In a glass measuring cup dissolve yeast in the cup of warm water(it should bubble when it’s done, if necessary add a pinch of sugar to activate it).
    3. In a large bowl add yeast mixture, oil, sugar, salt, and 1 ½ cups flour. Beat until smooth.
    4. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough (not sticky and not too soft).
    5. Turn dough onto floured surface and let rest for 10 minutes.
    6. Roll dough into a 13 inch circle. Grease a 12 inch pizza pan and sprinkle with cornmeal.
    7. Transfer dough to prepared pan, building up edges slightly. Pokes several holes into the crust with a fork. DO NOT LET RISE!
    8. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
    9. Add desired toppings; bake 10-15 minutes more or until cheese is melted.

Makes 1 pizza crust (serving 8)

Nutrition info (JUST for 1 piece, add topping info to journal):
    Calories 189
    Total Fat 3.8
    Chol 0mg
    Sodium 73.8mg
    Potassium 51.3
    Carbs 33.5g
    Sugars 0.6g
    Fiber 1.2g
    Protein 4.5g
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    You rock!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'm going to try it with whole wheat flour!! Oh, and what is the serving size? 10 slices per pizza?? Thanks!

Jess
  • tilly6277
    Options
    (In Homer voice) Mmmmmmmm pizza.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Oh sorry guys! That would be an 8 serving pizza! It fits in just a regular sized pizza pan (not the really big ones). Adjusted it on the recipe!
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Also, don't forget. The only real reason pizza is bad is the stuff you put on it.
    Limit cheese and regular meats.
    Load up on veggies!

AND don't wolf down the pizza, Nutrition info is for one piece...it's not horrible (especially if you tweak recipe) but it's not the best.
  • pecksun8
    Options
    I have been thinking about making pizza, this is perfect timing! Thanks.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Oh sorry guys! That would be an 8 serving pizza! It fits in just a regular sized pizza pan (not the really big ones). Adjusted it on the recipe!
    Thanks! Just wanted to see how big of slices I should cut. :wink: Yes, with some yummy pizza sauce, lots of veggies, canadian bacon, and some FF feta cheese that would be a great healthy pizza!