HYPERthyroid...extreme hunger

Options
Is there anyone else out there with HYPERthyroidism? I have atypical Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Typically this causes hypothyroidism, however I have been in a consistent state of hyperthyroidism for the past few years. I also have a cancerous thyroid nodule which my endocrinologist is trying to shrink. That being said, with the hyperthyroidism, I have found that my metabolism is revved up and I just can't seem to eat enough! I don't gain weight, but it's certainly not cute looking at my food diary ;) Anyone else out there with the same situation?

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone else out there with HYPERthyroidism? I have atypical Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Typically this causes hypothyroidism, however I have been in a consistent state of hyperthyroidism for the past few years. I also have a cancerous thyroid nodule which my endocrinologist is trying to shrink. That being said, with the hyperthyroidism, I have found that my metabolism is revved up and I just can't seem to eat enough! I don't gain weight, but it's certainly not cute looking at my food diary ;) Anyone else out there with the same situation?

I dont have the problem like now... but I had hyperthyroidism in the past.
    The reason why you are hungry all the time is because your metabolism and body needs are revved up significantly.
    The best thing you can do is feed your body (try to choose healthy foods) because your body is begging you for more...
    Eventually Hashimoto's causes hypothyroidism and then your needs will change... enjoy the hyper while you can!
  • Satya_Ayurveda
    Satya_Ayurveda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I understand completely. I am a healthcare professional myself and eat very clean and organic. My Hashimoto's is atypical and the endocrinologist suspects I will likely stay hyper and not be thrust into they hypo state. Although, a lot of cases do bounce back and forth, you are correct. Just wondering if there are others out there who have experienced the same hunger?

The reason why you are hungry all the time is because your metabolism and body needs are revved up significantly.
    The best thing you can do is feed your body (try to choose healthy foods) because your body is begging you for more...
    Eventually Hashimoto's causes hypothyroidism and then your needs will change... enjoy the hyper while you can!
  • AliCat2705
    AliCat2705 Posts: 22
    Options
    I dont have hyperthyroidism, but I do have Lupus and I am taking a steroid that makes me EXTREMLY hungry all the time!! I hate it becasue unlike you, my metabolism is not all reved up and I will gain weight if I just feed my body when its telling me too! I agree with what the other person wrote though, eat healthy food and enjoy the fact that you aren't gaining!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I understand completely. I am a healthcare professional myself and eat very clean and organic. My Hashimoto's is atypical and the endocrinologist suspects I will likely stay hyper and not be thrust into they hypo state. Although, a lot of cases do bounce back and forth, you are correct. Just wondering if there are others out there who have experienced the same hunger?

Im a nurse practitioner... and have Hashimoto's myself.
    I spend years in hyper ... and actually bounced back to normal for the time being...
    And I was ridiculously hungry all the time... unfortunately I kept those same eating habits when I swung back to normal.
    My mom had Graves Disease... and although you are supposed to lose weight with Graves because her appetite was soo severe she actually gained weight and then lost some it when they did the medications.

Good luck sweetie! :)
  • epoint
    epoint Posts: 88
    Options
    I'm hyperthyroid due to a "hot nodule", but it''s been under control for a couple of years now with tapazole. I had trouble believing it when I was first diagnosed because not only did I feel awful, I was also gaining weight. That made no sense to me until I got my thyroid controlled and realized how much less hungry I was. I was eating all the time! The weight came off gradually then and I did pretty well until menopause hit. Oh well, it's always something! :)
  • Satya_Ayurveda
    Satya_Ayurveda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm hyperthyroid due to a "hot nodule", but it''s been under control for a couple of years now with tapazole. I had trouble believing it when I was first diagnosed because not only did I feel awful, I was also gaining weight. That made no sense to me until I got my thyroid controlled and realized how much less hungry I was. I was eating all the time! The weight came off gradually then and I did pretty well until menopause hit. Oh well, it's always something! :)

It IS always something... ;) isn't it?! Did they manage to shrink your nodule? I too have a hot nodule, however mine is cancerous which is why they are attempting to shrink it. I was given the option of surgery or the less invasive method. I am more of a hippy dippy naturalist so I voted for the least invasive. So, at least I am not alone in my ravenous appetite ;) I have seen other posts on here regarding hypo, so I thought I would start a thread regarding hyper. I am mainly here just to track my gluten free diet but have found use in *some* of the message boards. Best of luck to you!
  • epoint
    epoint Posts: 88
    Options
    No, luckily mine is not cancerous, and since it has (so far) been easily controlled using tapazole (methimazole), that's what I do. I agree, we hear a lot more about hypothyroidism than we do hyperthyroidism. My doc has me come in for bloodwork every 3 months. It seems a bit excessive and I asked him about it, since I know LOTS of people who are medicated for hypothyroidism and don't go in nearly that often. He said that hyper individuals need to be followed more closely because of the risk of bone loss if it is uncontrolled, and since I'm at that menopausal age anyway it's important to keep on top of it. He does tweak my dosage ever so slightly if my values slide in one direction or the other.

Good luck with your nodule -- I hope you can shrink it down quickly!
  • soccermom04
    Options
    Hi, I saw your post and had to reply b/c I too feel mostly hyper with my Hashimotos (started after having baby #3 May 2008)
    I am upto the point where I can't take the synthroid, it makes my heart want to jump out of my chest (hr 128 bp 160/110) when normally I have hr 70 and bp 100/70. A cardiologist even told me my mitral valve was about to prolapse that I needed to take a beta blocker (propanolol) which helps but then I feel really tired in the afternoon. I am seeing a new endo this week since all the ones I have seen only care about the labs and don't listen to my symptoms. The last endo didn't even want to check a nodule that the radiologist said I needed to get examined! I too also got thinner and had more muscle tone by being hyper or the effect of the synthroid, but be careful and see a cardiologist b/c your heart is working overtime and could be affected. Hope it isn't though.