P90X pull-up bar

Options
My Fiance and I have decided to do P90X but I'm concerned about the pull-up bar. We live in a late 1800's victorian home so our doorways aren't standard. My Fiance has the iron gym pull up bar and when we moved into this house it wouldn't fit on any of the doorways because the trim on the top is very thin, nearly non-existent.

I've read about the resistance bands as a substitute but I really want to try and use the pull-up bar because I know it's the better option. So my question is will this kind of pull up bar work? http://www.amazon.com/Fit-Deluxe-Doorway-Pull-Bar/dp/B001CZ4ZN0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1306304405&sr=8-8

It doesn't have the same options as far as hand-holds go so I'm worried I won't be able to do all the exercises?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Replies

• ljd0693
    ljd0693 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    That pull-up bar looks like a glorified shower curtain rod. I'd be concerned about it coming loose.

Consider spending a little more and getting something like:

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Vision-PT600-Power-Tower/dp/B000M29CCI/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1306306624&sr=1-1

Quite a few of the reviewers used it for P90X.
  • groovymint
    groovymint Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Lexie, I have used all different kinds of door pull up bars and the example you provided on Amazon is quite good. You will be able to do most of the exercises in p90x using it apart from the wide grip pull up, although if your doorways are quite wide you might be able to just about do it!
  • MeaggyTheGreaty
    MeaggyTheGreaty Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's not the price I'm worried about, I just don't think I have much room here for something like that. So I don't know what I'm going to do yet...but thanks for the suggestions.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Could you redo the trim on the top of one door? If you do it on the inside of the room (not the hallway, etc.) nobody would probably notice that it is thicker.

I just started P90X Sunday and while I think the chin up bar works best, I did the resistance bands for a few of the moves and they work too. You might just try them to see how they work. You could always buy a bar later if you aren't getting what you want out of the bands.