New to MFP and seeking walking friends in NYC!

Options
Hello,

I joined a few days ago and would love to make friends on here to provide and receive extra support.

I'm also relatively new to New York City and would love to meet new friends who are interested in walking the pounds off while exploring this great city!

Replies

• rebeccamareejones
    Options
    If I lived in NYC I'd be in no worries, but I think the logistics of travelling there regularly may prove to be an issue for me unfortunately :(

However, the support sounds good! I can do that!
  • readytodrop60
    Options
    Haha. Yeah, that would be very time consuming for you!

Online support is great too!
  • rebeccamareejones
    Options
    Yes it is! More than happy to offer any support, it's a good way to meet people!

Are you enjoying NYC? I am a little bit jealous that you live there! I have a terrible fear of flying which I am slowly overcoming, so one day I hope to make it over that way as a treat!
  • readytodrop60
    Options
    I love it here! There is so much do see and do. No matter what you are into, there is something here for you. At the same time the sirens and non stop noise is sometimes frustrating.

I have a fear of flying, too... I know how you feel. I want to see what the rest of the world has to offer and experience other cultures. Good luck overcoming the fear!
  • rebeccamareejones
    Options
    That's true, you would never run out of things to do there! I can imagine the noise would be difficult, it puts my complaints about traffic noise into perpective.. I live in regional Australia in surburbia and on our road we have about 10 cars go past probably every minute (rough estimate) and it makes me cranky! And it's nothing compared to NYC!

It is good to talk to someone that shares that awful fear, its just the most horrible feeling isnt it? How long have you had this for? I used to fly quite fine until a couple of years ago something happened, ( I don't know what) and this terrible fear came over me. I have been flying a couple of times a year in an attempt to overcome it and it seems to be working, I am now at the stage where I don't cry about it anymore, (hope it stays that way). I still can't fly alone though which is a bit limiting but I am so grateful that I now don't have only the option of catching a train. Did something bad happen to you to trigger the fear off?
  • Scubabarbie
    Scubabarbie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi, there! Just a suggestion - - go the NYC Road Runners Club website. You might find they offer a walk or walk/run clinics for beginners held in Central Park. This might be a way to meet people. It worked for me when I lived in NYC (Queens in the house!). Enjoy.
  • readytodrop60
    Options
    Rebeccamareejon-

I'm not sure...I haven't been on a plane since I was 4 years old. My parents say I was always a bad flyer. Apparently I would cry from the time we got on until we got off, or if the flight were long enough I would cry myself to sleep. I'm just claustrophobic and have a fear of heights. I wish my 'rents would have made me get on, but they didn't and we started taking our family vacations by vehicle. I just need to stop living in fear. I need to come visit your neck of the woods. I have heard it's absolutely gorgeous over there.

I am happy you are able to get on one, I don't blame you for not wanting to fly alone. Creepy! Plus you never know who you are going to get stuck sitting by!

Scubabarbie-

Hello. I will have to check out the NYC Road Runners Club site, that sounds great. Thanks for the info!
  • rebeccamareejones
    Options
    Wow so a bad flyer right from the start, that makes it hard! So worth it to overcome it though, it opens up so many options. It is beautiful here, I am so lucky to be here that's for sure. I love that there is so much diversity in Australia... Cities, the outback, snow, bush, rainforest and mountains. It is hard to remember sometimes that there is so much outside of Australia... We are such a young country so there is no 1000's of year old buildings and ancient history, (except for aboriginal history which in itself is fascinating). Our mountains and snow also have nothing on those overseas! Also our cities are nowhere near as big as NYC, which would be a whole different scene! There is so much to see that I haven't seen yet that it seems such a shame to be stuck in one country because of the fear of a mode of transport. I don't wish it upon anybody but it is nice to know I'm not alone with the plane thing! I agree that there are some really interesting people on planes and it is a bit of a jackpot as to who you get to share a seat with!

How long have you been in NYC for?
  • readytodrop60
    Options
    I've never been to Australia, but from pictures and stories I have heard from my parents and a few friends, I can only imagine how beautiful it is in person.

I have been in NYC for 7 months now. Luckily I'm finally starting to meet some people that I will keep in touch and hang out with. It was really tough, I was a complete loner for the first 5 months. Thank God for Skype, family, and friends from back home!
  • rebeccamareejones
    Options
    It is always really hard moving to a new place, it takes quite a few months to get to know people doesn't it!
    WHere did you live previously? And uyes whoever invented skype was a genius!!