pimp my green tea

Options
I hate green tea! It tastes awful but I want to try it. Does anyone have ideas on how to disguise the taste?

Replies

• maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Buy a different kind! I hate the gross ones that taste like spinach. I prefer the clean tasting ones. I drink loose tea and get it from Adagio, they have a huge selection of flavors. I like their apricot green tea.
  • javarushed
    javarushed Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My one bud buys green tea and puts a orange spice tea bag into it to mask the taste lol
  • xNightguestx
    xNightguestx Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have Clipper green tea, they have different types and I get the one with raspberry...tastes so good!
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Put a slice of lemon in it. It helps :drinker:
  • whateverdamnit
    Options
    I drink Green Tea with Jasmine Petals, or Green Tea with Elderflower petals.. a lot nicer than plain Green tea!
  • bigmang
    bigmang Posts: 27
    Options
    Add up to a tea spoon of honey to sweeten it up, different honey's have different flavours too, I like acacia honey.
  • spaggyj
    spaggyj Posts: 1
    Options
    There are loads of different flavours. Green tea comes with lemon, mint, blueberry (that's fab), orange and pineapple, jasmine, orange... there are loads. I'd recommend the blueberry if you don't really like the green tea taste. It's by Tetley and they sell it in ASDA.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I like green tea but I like it diluted with extra water. Try white tea. I like that too, though, so maybe you won't. But it has similar health benefits and a milder flavor. You can also try brewing some up then putting it in a pitcher and after it's cool adding some cut up fruits/veg like pineapple, orange slices or melon or cucumber slices (also good with plain water). Let them sit in there in the frig for a couple of hours. Yummy. Drink up! :drinker:
  • Smurfette64
    Smurfette64 Posts: 64
    Options
    I was wondering the exact same thing - bought some the other day but only got around to trying it today - all I can say is YUK YUK YUK!!!! - smelled like warm pee or dishwater and tasted almost as bad.

I usually drink Irish Breakfast tea with a very minute dribble of milk and 2 level tsp of raw sugar. Although I usually only have it in winter and when I get a headache (I can't take paracetamol and the warm sweet tea is the only thing that helps besides ice packs).

But after reading all the data and recommendations on Green Tea thought I'd give it a go. I wonder if it gets any better the more you try it or you just give up :(
  • SuzieR
    SuzieR Posts: 127
    Options
    I'm not a huge tea drinker, but lately I've been enjoying Twinings Green Tea with Cranberry - quite yummy! Drink it hot though ... don't let it get too cool - bleugh!
  • Rowann
    Rowann Posts: 86
    Options
    If you make it too strong it can be really horrible and quite bitter. The trick is to get it so the water is barely coloured, and then it's lovely... :)

I like to make it in a bit pot, only use one tea bag, and then remove the bag once the water has the right colour. It will darken as it oxidises, but won't get any more bitter. I can then quite happily drink the whole pot.... for some reason I never use mugs for green tea - its always my proper tea cups... :)
  • CyborgDreamSt8
    Options
    If you can find it try Hedley's Royal Jasmine. I have found that to be the only green tea I can drink regularly. I, like you, find the taste to be quite abhorrent, however with the Jasmine it just tastes so wonderful and smells just as nice.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Brew it for one minute at slightly less than boiling water. If the water is too hot or the tea is steeped too long it will be bitter :(
  • Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    Options
    I drink Twinings green tea with a tsp of honey & Truvia.
  • barbacasec
    barbacasec Posts: 106
    Options
    i use one bag of organic bigelow decaffinated green tea with one bag of bigelow organic green tea with pomagrante and acai (caffinated) with 1 stevia and a splash of coconut milk creamer--- yummy afternoon treat at work.
  • jad54
    jad54 Posts: 192
    Options
    I drink Twinings green tea with a tsp of honey & Truvia.

This - but with Splenda.
  • THINLINCOLLIER
    Options
    I mix mine with black tea and sometimes a little squeeze of lemon.:drinker:
  • margielewis
    margielewis Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am going to try some of your suggestions. I made my first cup this morning and it was so terrible I dumped it down the sink - being determined though, I decided to hide it in my coffee lol. It didn't work and the tea overpowered the coffee. As said in a previous post---- it tasted like warm pee!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Never thought of it as being like pee. Gross! I've never had it warm before, though. I always use one tea bag in a cup of hot water, steep 3 minutes, then add two cups of cold water (to dilute it) then drink as iced tea. I love it. Plain water is too boring to drink...
  • Smurfette64
    Smurfette64 Posts: 64
    Options
    OK just tried another cup with my lunch - brewed it in a glass mug this time, added some cooled water after a minute or so and then 1/2 tsp of raw sugar - not as bad as yesterday. Will try again later and see if my taste buds were just off this time or not LOL