Cardio vs Strength Training (workout plan help!)

Options
dipteshr
dipteshr Posts: 39 Member
Hi all,

I started my quest at 107kg, I am currently at 87kg. I can see a massive difference in my appearance - but what I would like some advice on is when I should stop the cardio and start weights?

As per my understanding, the processes for cardio vs strength are opposites (eg cardio creates a calorie deficit in order to use fat, but strength requires me to consume extra calories to turn it into muscle)

I dont want to start consuming to much and put on weight again so an explanation would help me loads!

Also, when is the right time to make this change?

Thanks!

Replies

• SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't stop cardio and start weights; a well-rounded plan incorporates both of these very important components of fitness!

You could, however, try doing HITT (High Intensity Interval Training) for your cardio workouts in order to make them as time effective and most "bang for your buck" as possible. A quick Google search will yield several sample workouts and ideas in this regard.

As far as weight training goes; if your goal is to obtain onverall muscle tone and definition, try doing some circuit training. Again, Google is fantastic for this; my favorite websites to go to are Women's Health Magazine Online (tons of printable workouts there with very detailed explanations) as well as Oxygen Magazine.

Plyometric exercises and training is a perfect example of combining cardio and strength... and it kicks your butt!

Hope this helps :)
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't stop cardio and start weights; a well-rounded plan incorporates both of these very important components of fitness!

You could, however, try doing HITT (High Intensity Interval Training) for your cardio workouts in order to make them as time effective and most "bang for your buck" as possible. A quick Google search will yield several sample workouts and ideas in this regard.

As far as weight training goes; if your goal is to obtain onverall muscle tone and definition, try doing some circuit training. Again, Google is fantastic for this; my favorite websites to go to are Women's Health Magazine Online (tons of printable workouts there with very detailed explanations) as well as Oxygen Magazine.

Plyometric exercises and training is a perfect example of combining cardio and strength... and it kicks your butt!

Hope this helps :)

Annnnnnnnnd I just took a peek at your profile and discovered that you're a guy, so I'd direct you to Men's Health Magazine onlien and bodybuilding.com as opposed to the previously mentioned links... unless you want to check out some fit ladies in bikinis :)
  • dipteshr
    Options

Annnnnnnnnd I just took a peek at your profile and discovered that you're a guy, so I'd direct you to Men's Health Magazine onlien and bodybuilding.com as opposed to the previously mentioned links... unless you want to check out some fit ladies in bikinis :)

Hot ladies in bikinis doesnt sound so bad! lol. I'll check those sites. Thanks.

I was under the impression that too much cardio can slow down the process of gaining muscle mass. I think more research is due! its just so time consuming as every website has its own version and you end up reading so much just to be more confused at the end!
  • b1delane
    b1delane Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm not a pro or anything but Ive talked to sum personal trainers at the gym and they all have told me to incorporate both cardio and strength training in your exercises weekly...3-5 days weights and 2-3 cardio or 5-7 weights bout 1 hr wait 45 mins (errands,read a mag or book,have a convo with someone) then 20-40 min cardio.You can also go to the gym 2x a day once for weights once for cardio. Remember to add more calories to your diet when you do this though and drink lots of water!
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'd start incorporating strength training from today. While it's true that to build major muscle mass you need to be in a calorie surplus, if you're new to strength training the chances are that you will pick up a fair bit of muscle quickly and easily. Once you're closer to your goal weigh you can look at changing this up to concentrate more on muscle gain and less on fat loss if that fits in with your goals.

Including both strength training and cardio in your workout plan helps to ensure that you're minimizing your losses from lean muscle mass and dropping your body fat percentage rather than just your weight.
  • notoriousgtt
    notoriousgtt Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Its not a choice between one or the other as said before.

You need to balance cardio and strength to get the most from your workout.

Without knowing what you do at the gym at the moment its hard to say what you should do/change but remember that muscle will weigh more than fat so you are likely to put on weight if you are building muscle.
  • dipteshr
    Options
    Its not a choice between one or the other as said before.

You need to balance cardio and strength to get the most from your workout.

Without knowing what you do at the gym at the moment its hard to say what you should do/change but remember that muscle will weigh more than fat so you are likely to put on weight if you are building muscle.

Thanks for all your answers...

I will start to incorporate some weight training from today. I currently run, cross train and cycle (about 333 calories each to total 1000 cals per workout, about 4 times a week)

I dont want to be really bulky, i just want some definition. i think i need to tone more than build muscle
  • instructor03
    instructor03 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You can do cardio everyday. Try working lower body one day and upper body the next when you weight train. This allows a day of rest for the muscles you just worked.
    So many great ideas have been suggested. You certainly won't get bored doing the same thing every day.
    I do cardio every day, whether it is walking or aerobics and I do a weight resistance class for an hour 3X a week. This class works the whole body, so I give a day of rest.

"Pressure makes diamonds"...... so hit the weights and put pressure on those muscles and get "cut"
  • tekiegirl
    tekiegirl Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don' think you need to completely change form one to the other. Strength training helps you to burn fat. People who want to build muscle eat/drink loads of protein after working out to build their muscles.

I found this very interesting study on weight loss and weight training in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Those that dieted and did strength training lost weight and maintained their lean body mass - so what they lost was fat not muscle, etc. Results and the study.

Maybe you can start introducing it to your routine now. It's good to mix up your routine so your body doesn't get used to it.
    There is lots of advice around on how many reps to do, etc. Just Google weight training for weight loss.

I recently completed the 30 Day Shred which consists of three sets of 6 minutes. Each 6 minutes is 3 minutes of strength, 2 of cardio and 1 of abs. Gillian Michaels says this is the quickest way to shed fat and tone up. I must say that the biggest difference after 30 days was the toning in my arms and legs. I highly recommend it! :o)