Another blood donation question...

Options
Can I really not workout at all today?

I reeaaaallllly wanna eat more, but I don't wanna go over my cals.

If I do just an easy walking workout is it okay? Nothing too straining or that uses my arm.

Replies

• Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    Can I really not workout at all today?

I reeaaaallllly wanna eat more, but I don't wanna go over my cals.

If I do just an easy walking workout is it okay? Nothing too straining or that uses my arm.
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    How about if you calculate how many calories you burn for an easy walk and then see if it is worth it.....:flowerforyou:
  • Javancub
    Options
    Great job!!! Another person saved! :flowerforyou: I'm trying to get my other half to donate as well. but to answer your question...Its hard to say only because everyone is different. I felt fine hours after i donated...i'm talking 4 hours went by and i felt great....then all of a sudden i passed out...twice. I'd say if you do go walking I'd be very cautious to how your feeling. And maybe take a friend? With what had happened to me, i'd stay and relax. Let your body re-coop with what just happened. And if you do binge...just keep the portions down and if you do happen to go over just a little....dont sweat it. Your body may actually need the extra vitamins and minerals.
  • carterk1
    Options
    A nice walk would be good for you. Just replenish with plenty of water. You body will take 48 hours to make up for the fluid loss.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    A walk should be fine, I even go for bike rides after I give and the nurse said it was fine. Although I give apheresis so I suppose that would make me less weak since I'm not actually giving any blood. So I vote for a nice long walk.
  • diegelmansm
    Options
    I worked for the local blood bank for a year, and while everyone is different, you should be fine to do a light work out 2 hours after donation. Just make sure you stay extra extra hydrated!
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I read your whole other post about giving blood.

First of all I hope you ate a big breakfast... last time I ate toast with peanut butter which is pretty usual for me and after nearly passing out the lady yelled at me "this is not a diet day! you should have eaten a full huge breakfast" I consider peanut butter full but whatever.

Secondly, when they say no lifting, they mean it!! I had to lift something moderately heavy later in the day and thought I was fine - my poke site hurt and turned into a huge bruise.

Take it easy on your heart! Walk if nothing else but you will need to eat some extra cals. Just at least eat your BMR for the day.

:happy: And thanks for being so brave - its the veins that bother me too, not needles and blood, just veins.
    :sick:
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    Thanks guys!

Yeah, I did have a good breakfast. Oatmeal with Fiber One, a banana, and a yogurt. Much larger than my normal breakfasts.

I also had a nice big lunch right after and have been sipping on water all day.

I think I am going to do Leslie Sasone's Walk Away the Pounds 1 mile video, without doing any of the arm movements. I'll pay extra close attention to how I'm feeling and if I start to feel sick at all I'll stop.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    If you just donated blood I would absolutely not worry about going over your calories. I've given many times and you are encouraged to eat well that day, both before and afterwards. Have some fresh fruit, it will get your blood sugar levels back to normal. And NO working out. Though if you feel up to it, a leisurely walk would be ok as long as you're not going by yourself. :flowerforyou: