are you eating enough fiber?

Options
vsetter
vsetter Posts: 558 Member
In your daily diet, you are supposed to be eating 25-30mg of fiber per day. Some sources actually recommend 30-40mg per day. The average American gets about 10-15mg. YIKES!

There are so many benefits to eating high fiber (including keeping you 'full' longer). My hubby and I are working hard to improve this portion of our diet. But I will admit, it's tough....especially if your total calories for the day are limited to 1200.

Are you getting enough fiber? Any good suggestions for getting that fiber into the day? My favorite so far -- Fiber One honey cluster cereal and blackberries. I am now averaging the 25-30mg on my 1200 calorie diet (and in retrospect, I was probably the average before). :tongue: Let's share ideas!

Replies

• anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have heard Fiber supplements are good for you. I have trouble getting my amount of fiber for the day it is something I have been trying to work on.. Good Luck
  • suzumichan
    suzumichan Posts: 127
    Options
    I like the Fiber One Bar's for snack's if that doesn't there are fiber pills or powder mix for drinks. (Which I do not recommend. talk about Yuck!) Good Luck
  • nadiambe13
    nadiambe13 Posts: 25
    Options
    Fruits and veggies are packed with fiber! And veggies tend to be very low cal, fitting nicely into your 1200 Calories per day! :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer that it's not only important what goes in but what comes out. I take 2 Citrucel Fiber Capsuls every night and yes every morning what I ate the day before is gone.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Just checked my diary , yes i'm fine.. in fact i'm will be over by tonight..
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    According to the MFP Nutritional Reports on this site, my fiber intake is well over 40 grams on most days. I don't really intentionally focus on high fiber so I can't really describe what it is that I am doing, but you are welcome to look over my diary if it would help; it's set to public viewing, and I will change fiber to show instead of sugar for a few days. I always have a cereal or steel cut oats, and I always have a nice big salad every day. I guess that is the main source. Oh yeah, I also have one serving (1 cup) of long grain brown rice every day too. I think that's about 10 grams.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am always over on fiber according to MFP, but I think they set it too low. I don't purposely overeat fiber but I always choose whole grain over white breads, cereals and pastas because I don't want the insulin spike (I have a family history of diabetes), and I eat a lot of veggies and nuts which have a lot of fiber.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I always kind of max out on the fiber "allowance" given to me by MFP. I'm a vegetarian though so it's fairly easy to do. I just eat a ton of fruits, veggies, whole grains and beans. Here is one of my favorite recipes to pack in some fiber (and lean protein). I usually leave out the green onions because I'm not a huge fan, but I'm giving you the full on recipe so you can decide for yourself. :-)

Lentil Chili with Cumin and Green Onions

2 tsp olive oil
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 Tbsp chili powder
    1 Tbsp ground cumin
    1 tsp dried oregano leaves
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (add more to make it hotter)
    4 cups (or more) water
    1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed (I used green ones)
    1/2 cup tomato puree
    1/3 cup plus 2 Tbsp chopped green onions

Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another 30 seconds. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano leaves, and cayenne pepper; stir for 30 seconds. Add the 4 cups of water, lentils, and tomato puree. Increase the heat and bring to a boil, skimming off any foam from the surface. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until lentils are tender, adding more water by 1/4 cupfuls as needed if dry, about 30 minutes. Stir in 1/3 cup green onions. Season chili to taste with salt and pepper.

Divide the chili among 4 bowls. Sprinkle with remaining green onions and serve.

I am having this for lunch today with a sweet potato and some salad. I always make a double batch and freeze individual portions so I can have little "to-go" meals on those days when I just don't want to cook.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I average at 25 grams of fiber a day. I eat mainly just whole grains (whole wheat pasta, whole grain bread, etc.), don't do any sort of low carb thing, and love love love beans, so I usually blast by MFP's recommended goal every day.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I'm "over" on fiber every day (I also think MFP sets it too low). I eat a lot of steel cut oats, Shredded Wheat, Fiber One and Fiber Plus bars, apples, pears, broccoli, kale, spinach, almonds, 100% whole wheat bread or pasta, lettuce, cucumber, beets, etc...

Fruits and veggies are the way to go for fiber, but high fiber cereals and bars help a lot, too.