DISABLED DIET & CALORIE COUNTS

2»

Replies

• vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    It depends, I have a really lightweight sporty chair and I don't think it takes that much effort to push, at least on level ground, certainly no more than walking. If you're an occasional wheelchair user and don't have the lightest chair then I'd agree you won't be as efficient and you'll probably burn more. It's how to calculate my bmr that's really bugging me though.
  • newmelady
    newmelady Posts: 132 Member
    This is an interesting thread as I am also disabled and trying to lose the last 7-10 pounds. :smile:
    Since this is a very old thread, I wonder what success OP had with weight loss.
  • Hello, I have just discovered this web site. It seems very complete but I am having a bit of trouble deciding how many calories I burn when I do certain activities and was wondering if anyone had any information.

I have a standing frame (Easy Stand Glider) and so I can just stand up in it and read or watch TV, but I can also use it to tone my arms as it is like an elliptical. I don't have the slightest idea how many calories I could burn up on it.

Also at the local Gym where I go there is manual cycling machine for my cardio. Anyone know what I should mark down as calories burned?

Also when I do muscle strengthening exercises. Does anyone know of a web site where I could get this info?

Thanks,
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Set your mfp settings to sedentary. There you go.

It'll work.

Good luck!
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Hello, I have just discovered this web site. It seems very complete but I am having a bit of trouble deciding how many calories I burn when I do certain activities and was wondering if anyone had any information.

I have a standing frame (Easy Stand Glider) and so I can just stand up in it and read or watch TV, but I can also use it to tone my arms as it is like an elliptical. I don't have the slightest idea how many calories I could burn up on it.

Also at the local Gym where I go there is manual cycling machine for my cardio. Anyone know what I should mark down as calories burned?

Also when I do muscle strengthening exercises. Does anyone know of a web site where I could get this info?

Thanks,

Just quoting this and giving it a bump for people on my friends list!
  • hi, i'm a wheelchair user form Sudan. I live unhealthy live, since there is no services provide for disabled persons.. I've spinal cord injury 30 years ago. i think I weight more than 80 kg and i'm not sure how tall i am , but i think i'm 169 cm . i spend most of my day sitting and doing nothing. and problem in issues of bone and calcium,,, now i want to change my life and workout and lose weight . hope u help me with advises
  • I am an MD and also in a wheel chair. I did a lot of discussions with my fellow MD's, reading and research. All of us who are in a wheel chair have lower need of calories than are calculated for normal people. Each pound of muscle burs about 6 calories per day. Please read this.

http://www.builtlean.com/2013/04/16/muscle-burn-calories/

As we dont have muscles in our legs , it is a common sense that we need much less calories that the regular BMR calculations. myfitnesspal calculated 1200 calories for me but I reduced them to 1050 per day to calculate my intake etc.

Regarding the bike which is called Arm Ergo-meter , you burn about 6 calories per minute if your speed is about 6 miles per hour. So you can calculate how much you burned with the machine. Most of them have on board calculators as well.

I needed to lose 10 lbs. and I have been on Atkins diet for the past month and have lost 7 pounds and I take 1050 calories per day with 30 minutes of Arm Ergo-meter and 30 minutes of muscle strengthening exercises. I have lost my muscles due to laziness as well as post polio syndrome and from the side effects of Cholesterol lowering drugs. So I am trying to build my muscles back so that I can burn more calories and increase my BMR.

I hope this writing will be of some help to you.

Thanks