Ketchup has sugar??

Options
Jellyphant
Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
I noticed on my food diary today that my ketchup I used has 8 grams of sugar for 2 tbsp. Lame.

I eat ketchup with, literally, EVERYTHING, so taste is a big thing for me when and if I make the switch.

With that being said, what does sugar free ketchup taste like? It may be a dumb question, but I cannot stand food/drinks that are sugar free and can't tolerate the fake sugars out and about now.

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Low sugar Heinz isn't too bad.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yep, and lots of sodium.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Can you substitute with some home made salsa? Then you can control salt and sugar and it is simple to make.
  • ampjorgensen
    ampjorgensen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You can actually make your own ketchup. It literally is water, vinegar and water for the most part. The adds like sugar and salt are mainly preservatives. I think making it tastes better. Maybe look for a recipe online?
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Have you tried switching to salsa instead? Much lower calorie and you can use LOTS of it.
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hunts has no high fructose corn syrup, but still 8 grams of sugar in 2 tablespoons.
  • Jellyphant
    Options
    Err.. I can try salsa, I guess. haha But I've been a ketchup freak since I could walk.
    As for homemade ketchup, that has sparked my interest. Time to hit up google. :D
  • monkeymomof3
    monkeymomof3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I would switch to salsa or tomato sauce....I don't use condiments, but I am trying to get the kids off ketchup - yuck! :)
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Nearly EVERYTHING seems to have sugar in it these days!! I even found HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) in a can of BEANS!!! Really?!! Why would you need to add sugar to beans????

I ditto the salsa suggestion and that is what we do in my house. If you want to make the salsa a little "sweeter", you can add a small amount of chopped mango (which we LOVE) or even some pineapple (fresh of course, since most canned pineapple contains - you guessed it - SUGAR!).

Mango-salsa on a ground turkey breast burger is the ultimate!! (dang ... now I"m getting hungry...!)
  • mattbryan
    mattbryan Posts: 147
    Options
    I'm with you....I LOOOOOOVE ketchup! I tried the low sodium stuff, and it was awful. I've never heard of low sugar ketchup though. I'll keep watching this thread!

Oh....and @ampjorgensen, I love the "water, vinegar and water" recipe! :tongue:
  • Jellyphant
    Options
    Nearly EVERYTHING seems to have sugar in it these days!! I even found HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) in a can of BEANS!!! Really?!! Why would you need to add sugar to beans????

I ditto the salsa suggestion and that is what we do in my house. If you want to make the salsa a little "sweeter", you can add a small amount of chopped mango (which we LOVE) or even some pineapple (fresh of course, since most canned pineapple contains - you guessed it - SUGAR!).

Mango-salsa on a ground turkey breast burger is the ultimate!! (dang ... now I"m getting hungry...!)
    Agreed about HFCS in everything. Ridiculous for beans, tho. :huh:
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I refuse to knowingly eat anything with HFCS in it, AND I love ketchup, so what to do, I made my own. I don’t have the recipe in front of me, but you can goggle it. I made a naturally fermented ketchup, it’s easy and the taste is close enough that after a couple dishes with it you won’t miss your regular brand.
  • bbonney
    bbonney Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Homemade is soooooo yummy and you can get the premade packets too that all you do is add tomatos (but I've never checked the sugars on them, guess I need too)
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    There is now a "Simply Heinz" ketchup that has no HFCS and it's really tasty. Still has sugar in it, but plain old sugar rather than the HFCS stuff.

If you use ketchup a lot, maybe it's worthwhile to make your own and substitute Stevia. I think the "truvia" brand has zero grams of sugars in it. Or you could just add regular sugar to taste -- chances are you won't need nearly as much as store-bought ketchup has. Only downside is it probably won't keep as long in the fridge.
  • TennisLoveGirl
    TennisLoveGirl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I recently bought Trader Joe's Organic ketchup and it only has 4g per 2 TBS. The taste is a little different from regular ketchup, but it's pretty good and easy to get used to! Good luck.
  • annarface
    annarface Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Heinz do a reduced sugar version of Ketchup. It's not a lot different... but 3 calories less per spoonful, haha!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I'm with you....I LOOOOOOVE ketchup! I tried the low sodium stuff, and it was awful. I've never heard of low sugar ketchup though. I'll keep watching this thread!

Oh....and @ampjorgensen, I love the "water, vinegar and water" recipe! :tongue:

Yeah, me too. I was wondering where the tomatos went to, it is red after all.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I noticed on my food diary today that my ketchup I used has 8 grams of sugar for 2 tbsp. Lame.

I eat ketchup with, literally, EVERYTHING, so taste is a big thing for me when and if I make the switch.

With that being said, what does sugar free ketchup taste like? It may be a dumb question, but I cannot stand food/drinks that are sugar free and can't tolerate the fake sugars out and about now.

You are not going to find a sugar-free ketchup unless you buy something fake.

Tomatos have natural sugars, so there is no way that the sugar content can be at 0 unless real tomatos aren't used........

Here is a recipe I use for making home made ketchup:

I canned mine though.....................

http://www.pickyourown.org/ketchup.htm
  • Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    Options
    Err.. I can try salsa, I guess. haha But I've been a ketchup freak since I could walk.
    As for homemade ketchup, that has sparked my interest. Time to hit up google. :D

Have you thought of making your own ketchup?? I make salsa at least once a week... I'm sure homemade ketchup wouldn't be too difficult. :)