Approx. 2000 remaining cals a day and no significant weight

2»

Replies

• somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Can I ask why the excessive amount of cardio?

If you don't want to eat those calories back, why not cut down the treadmill time in half? You're not really doing anything to help yourself by walking on the treadmill for 90+ minutes. I'd either do half of that and add in 30 minutes of strength, or only do half and eat less. It ends up being a wash.

I agree with this also.

I found that I got great results by shortening my cardio sessions drastically (and doing intervals instead of steady state cardio) and then adding in strength training.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member

If you don't want to eat those calories back, why not cut down the treadmill time in half? You're not really doing anything to help yourself by walking on the treadmill for 90+ minutes. I'd either do half of that and add in 30 minutes of strength, or only do half and eat less. It ends up being a wash.

Thank you. If you aren't able to eat it, you need to do less.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    3x cardio per day is pretty excessive. Mix in some strength, and maybe try out some HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training).
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    It's nearly impossible that you're gaining muscle with that kind of a calorie deficit.

Here's an explanation of how your metabolism changes during a calorie-restricted diet, and what you can do to begin losing weight again.

www.fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member

I agree with this also.

I found that I got great results by shortening my cardio sessions drastically (and doing intervals instead of steady state cardio) and then adding in strength training.

Bingo!!

If you're going to do cardio...which has been proven in many studies to be useless for weight loss...do it in interval format. Sprint on the machine for 20 solid seconds...walk 10 seconds, then sprint again for 20 more. If you google interval training you'll find a hundred ways to incorporate it into most workouts. I do my 'cardio' on my 100lb heavy bag...and I even interval train there. 20 seconds of HEAVY, fast paced, 100% max effort punches...10 seconds of lighter, less intense punches...for 4 minutes straight.

I want to die when it's over lol.

I would also advise heavy weight training (heavy being subjective...what's heavy for me may not be for you, etc). Muscle, burns fat. Cardio KILLS muscle.

Take a look at this article:

http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/The_Final_Nail_in_the_Cardio_Coffin.cfm

She sites a slew of studies at the lower end of the article which back up her information...and other forward thinking trainers are tending to agree with her.

Now...EAT!! Eat!!! EAT!!!! I'm 5'7", 187lbs (mostly solid), and my maintenance is 2400is calories a day...pre exercise. I eat nuts (love sea salt cashews), peanut butter and apples, and other calorie/protien dense foods that contain good fats and moderate amounts of carbs (note, I didn't say NO, or LOW carbs...just moderate!). I also eat every three hours. 1 ounce of cashews is 160 calories. You could eat 2 or 3 ounces and have yourself a full fledged caloric banquet throughout your day. Today I ate almost 2800 calories worth of food, due to 15 minutes on the heavy bag and 45 minutes of bodyweight strength training.

Anyhow...luck to you, and I hope this all helps!!

Cris
  • zacherybinx
    zacherybinx Posts: 215 Member
    If you're doing -2000 Calories a day you're going to put yourself in the hospital eventually.
This discussion has been closed.