Can you leave rice out overnight?

live2dream
live2dream Posts: 614 Member
I put some jasmine rice in my rice cooker last night and forgot about it. It turns off automatically. So it was sitting there this morning and I threw it in the fridge- didn't smell funny or anything. Should I throw it out? Or maybe it's ok>?

Replies

• NoWeighJose74
    NoWeighJose74 Posts: 581 Member
    Should be ok if it doesn't smell funny. When I used to eat rice on a daily basis I found I could leave it out overnight in the rice cooker as long as it didn't get too warm in the house. It'll definitely take on an unpleasant smell when it goes bad. The texture will also start to change; it'll get a little slimy.
  • I have some friends who are big rice eaters (from Africa) and they always leave rice out.. As long as it stays covered 24+ hour old rice heats up and tastes fine
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    NO!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Well let me put it to you this way- I often see rice cookers at the chinese restaurants I visit. The rice has long since cooked but it's still sitting there in the cooker. Likely for up to the 8 hours the restaurant is open. I'd say you are safe.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    I leave mine in the rice cooker overnight and it's always fine, just as long as you got it covered so nothing undesirable crawls on it!
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    I believe any food left out over night should be thrown out!!