when does it get easier?!

Options
dmoses
dmoses Posts: 786 Member
I am definitely not a runner but I want to be! I am on week 2 day 2 of the C25K, and I'm just wondering - when does it get easier?!?! I'm still struggling with the short 90 second intervals of running. :grumble:

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I think doing 90 second bursts is harder then just continuous running. I find if I stop, I don't want to start again, whereas when I just keep going I feel fine after the first 2km.

But overall, running starts becoming fun after about 4 months. The first 3 or 4 months are hell.

edited to add, but it pays off, because once you get past that it is wonderful.
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a couple of years on and off, and pretty seriously since February of this year. I always think it feels so hard to get started. It takes a while for your body to adjust and get used to the stress you're putting on it. You will get stronger and it will get easier. The next thing you know, you'll be complaining about doing your run just because you might not feel like it that day. It really becomes rewarding when you finish your first race and realize how far you've come. There is a definite pay off if you stick with it! I've been where you are, and I know how hard it is, but you can do it!
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    For me, running became fun when I took off enough weight that my knees and shins no longer hurt. Plus I was in fairly decent shape form 6 days/week of exercising for 3 months before I started the c25k program. I am now on week 6 day 1 (tomorrow) and I have to say, I look forward to the days I can get out and run. But I think it's a love / hate thing.

Why do you hate it? I hate running on a treadmill and refuse to do that unless I HAVE to. Maybe there's an easy fix to why you hate it.
  • Carek99
    Carek99 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've read everything I could find on this. I'm on week 2 as well (second effort after an injury). The common answer seems to be if its too hard, slow down.

Not to be discouraging, but if you are running too fast they say you won't make it through week 5.

Slow down until its not so bad, speed will come later, perhaps even after the 9 weeks.
  • dmoses
    Options
    I've been working out on the elliptical for going on 2 years, minimum 5 days/week. I can't figure out if it's my stamina, my breathing or if it's a mental thing (that love/hate relationship). I don't think I'm going too fast. Is there a secret to the breathing that I just don't get yet?
  • lightspeed007
    Options
    I would say put in for a race. they are really good fun and once you have paid your fee , it really motivates you to get out and train.
  • janiedoe111
    janiedoe111 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Are you running inside or out?

It is brutal out there in the NC heat this week. Maybe a really tough week if you are trying to increase your running stamina.
  • dmoses
    Options
    Outside, and yes, this heat/humidity isn't ideal. I wait until it's cooled down in the evenings at least!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    What is C25K? is it when you run and walk , just keep switching back and forth?
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It never gets easier for me... I constantly keep my heart rate between 75-85% of my max while running... I just keep pushing harder and harder to maintain that training zone... I'm getting faster and can run longer... but it never gets any easier per se.
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I started training for c25k!! It seemed like such work to run 3 minutes straight....I trained up to week 3 b/c I had to have my wisdom teeth removed. Since I had that surgery...I took 3 weeks off before I started running again. It seemed like all my hard work went down the tubes, b/c I took time off... Then after about 2 weeks of repeating week 3 and then two weeks of repeating week 4....it got easy!!!!
    I can run 3 miles straight w/o being out of breath or having pains in my side... It just miraculously got easy!!!!
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Echoing the go slower sentiment.

One of the best rules I read for beginning runners was "go slow, if you think you are going slow enough, go slower."

I have only been running since sometime in February. Have made huge strides since that time. I run slooooow, but usually put in atleast fifty minutes five or six days a week. And can do up to nine miles in two hours. And have even hit and eleven minute mile. The speed and distance will come as you fitness level increase. For now just concentrate in form, and finding a pace that allows you to keep moving.

Is it easy? No. But at some point it did get easier. And the endorphins kick in earlier and earlier everyday.
  • dmoses
    Options
    Thanks all for the words of wisdom! I'm not going to let it beat me just yet!! I'll slow my pace more and see if that helps.
  • hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am only into the first week but I find I SPRINT for the first 20 seconds or so ... I need to PACE myself :)
  • theMightyAnt
    Options
    Hi i'm doing Couch to 5 Km (C25K) too and am on week 2. I too am finding it hard, definitely not a traditional runners build.
    However I know friends who are 3-6 months ahead (they suggested it to me) they find it much easier now and can run non-stop for an hour so keep going.

The timing for it feeling 'easier' seems to depend on the individual but around 3-4 months of running seems the norm. One friend just completed a half marathon in 1 hour 43 mins after 6 months, having started with this only 6 months ago. Which I find truly inspiring.

Everyone feel free to add me as a friend.
  • theMightyAnt
    Options
    Further to my previous post I just did day 1 of week 3 this morning. When I saw that the longer run was a whole 3 minutes I initially thought "I was struggling with 1 and a half how am I going to do 3!"
    With that in mind I started very slowly, concentrating on slow, deep rhythmical breathing. I am happy to say that I found it easier than week 2. In truth I was probably taking it a little too slowly than I needed to but this allowed me to speed up in my last minute.

Maybe you will find the same.
  • lamb45952
    lamb45952 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did Couch to 5k last summer, it does work! I struggled so much every week, but kept at it. I believe it was week 5 that felt like a breakthrough. It was a sudden and dramatic difference. So just keep it up! Best wishes.
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    I have also just started C25K and completed Week 2 Day 3 this morning :smile:

I have to say that I never thought I could run for 90 seconds and am surprised at how much I am enjoying it - and actually looking forward to Week 3. That first initial run is horrible and I find it hard, but after that everything seems to settle down and it becomes more comfortable - wouldn't say that "easier" was the best word LOL.

Unfortunately I'm still breathing like a wounded buffalo but I'm sure I'll get there!!!!
  • dmoses
    Options
    I'm still plugging away at it! Finished up week 3 this week - know I looked like I needed an ambulance after each 90 second run... I'll start week 4 in a couple of days. I'm hoping for that week 5 breakthrough!