HRM...can't be right?

Options
I just started using my Polar HRM again (it's a P4 or 6?) Anyway, I have used it the last few workouts and the calories burned seems very low compared to what MFP and my stairmaster says. I do 45 minutes of stairmaster at highest level - average of the two has me burning about 500 calories (I'm 117lbs). My HRM has me burning just 250. That seems really low.
I jumped rope this mornign for 20 minutes - HRM said 98 calories, MFP had me at 138.

I know I'm in pretty good cardiovascular shape as my heart rate is about 140 at highest but still I shoudl be burning more, right? Anyone have ideas? HRM is a about 4 years old with only one tune up.

Replies

• hasselh
    Options
    I just started using my Polar HRM again (it's a P4 or 6?) Anyway, I have used it the last few workouts and the calories burned seems very low compared to what MFP and my stairmaster says. I do 45 minutes of stairmaster at highest level - average of the two has me burning about 500 calories (I'm 117lbs). My HRM has me burning just 250. That seems really low.
    I jumped rope this mornign for 20 minutes - HRM said 98 calories, MFP had me at 138.

I know I'm in pretty good cardiovascular shape as my heart rate is about 140 at highest but still I shoudl be burning more, right? Anyone have ideas? HRM is a about 4 years old with only one tune up.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Can't go be websites---they are estimate only. Always go with the HRM.

Sorry.

Numbers sound right anyway. I burn only about 500 calories an hour cycling when I push it, and I weigh alot more than you, so I burn more; so 250 for 40 minutes sounds right to me.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I agree because the HRM is counting the actual heart beats per minute, along with your age, weight and height.

Sorry but your just too darn fit!:drinker: :drinker:

I am finding it harder to get my heartrate up and I am happy, happy, happy.

Resting HR went form 78 to 63.
  • Fit2btied
    Options
    I trained this morning and asked the trainer the same question! The site showed 500 for what I recorded, but the HRM showed 350. He said the 350 was right. Sorry! I'd stick with the hrm. You might consider borrowing someones to check it, but it seems right to me. Good luck!
  • hasselh
    Options
    BLAH! I pretty much knew the answer, hoping I was wrong...but expected your answers.
    I'm going to go pout now.
  • Sunibc22
    Options
    I was on the eliptical at the gym the other day and was excited about how many calories I burned...then I looked at my HRM and it was 150 cals less!!! I went with the HRM unfourtunatly....better be accurate and not overeat my cals I suppose.:grumble:
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Yeah...unfortunetely you burn less calories the more fit you are. So, as you lose weight and gain muscle, you will be burning less and less calories.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    A little quirk I've noticed with my (Polar)heart rate monitor, if you don't wet the right spots and have it always flat on chest it doesn't read right. I've had to re-set 20 minutes into a workout cause of it.
  • tamazinglee
    tamazinglee Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    A little quirk I've noticed with my (Polar)heart rate monitor, if you don't wet the right spots and have it always flat on chest it doesn't read right. I've had to re-set 20 minutes into a workout cause of it.

How do you know it's not working right? I am questioning mine because I will do the same workout two or three times a week and the monitor will give me extremely varied results.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options

How do you know it's not working right? I am questioning mine because I will do the same workout two or three times a week and the monitor will give me extremely varied results.

Oh on mine, it stops beeping at me, when I KNOW I am not in the target zone.
    Yesterday it was at my resting heart rate then jumped up to 150 then back to resting, within a few seconds. I just started it over but it's frustrating cause then numbers are out of whack.