HELPPP!!

Options
I dont understand... My caloric intake is set to 1200, I usually come right underneath that or right at it, but then I usually burn between 500-800 calories a day at the gym, doing cardio and such,, so than when i finish my entries it tells me I am eating too few calories... okay.. but my husband.. who's is set to 1700 some odd a day, he will usually eat right at that or a lil over, then after he puts in all of his excersize.. which he usualy burns between 800-1000 calories a day (military PT and gym), but when he finishes logging he usually still has 1200 calories he could take in... yet it doesnt say he is eating too few calories, or that he is going into "starvation mode".. why is that??

Replies

• McKnightAM
    McKnightAM Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I dont understand... My caloric intake is set to 1200, I usually come right underneath that or right at it, but then I usually burn between 500-800 calories a day at the gym, doing cardio and such,, so than when i finish my entries it tells me I am eating too few calories... okay.. but my husband.. who's is set to 1700 some odd a day, he will usually eat right at that or a lil over, then after he puts in all of his excersize.. which he usualy burns between 800-1000 calories a day (military PT and gym), but when he finishes logging he usually still has 1200 calories he could take in... yet it doesnt say he is eating too few calories, or that he is going into "starvation mode".. why is that??
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    First--you shouldn't be at 1200 a day. That is too few for you. That is a severe caloric restriction that is really only for those with a lot to lose--like me. You can cause your body to go into starvation or "hibernation" type mode at that level.

Second--you HAVE TO EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!

Third--NEVER EAT UNDER 1200 CALORIES--EVER EVER EVER! Unless you are on a doctor's strict regime. That is why MFP is warning you that you're not eating enough.
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    First--you shouldn't be at 1200 a day. That is too few for you. That is a severe caloric restriction that is really only for those with a lot to lose--like me. You can cause your body to go into starvation or "hibernation" type mode at that level.

Third--NEVER EAT UNDER 1200 CALORIES--EVER EVER EVER! Unless you are on a doctor's strict regime. That is why MFP is warning you that you're not eating enough.

agreed. ^^
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options

I Only had about 19 lbs. left to loose and MFP put me on 1200 calorie plan. But I always ate my exercise calories.

-Adrienne:heart:
  • shorerider
    Options

I Only had about 19 lbs. left to loose and MFP put me on 1200 calorie plan. But I always ate my exercise calories.

-Adrienne:heart:

MFP will choose your calories based upon how many pounds a week you select to lose. Most want to lose weight fast (which isn't healthy), so they want to lose 2 pounds per week or more. That is often why MFP will default to 1200. When, in reality, those with just a relatively small amount to loss should really be looking at max of 1/2 pound a week.

Plus, you can customize your goals and get an even smaller daily deficit--because there are some for whom even 1/2 a pound a week is too much. Some might benefit from simply toning instead of losing.
    As Banks likes to say (paraphrased), there is a time when you should stop looking at your weight and grab a tape measure instead.

Wanted to add that I can't wait until I get to that day!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    This site really needs a human food metabolism 101 tutorial, and stickies. It's discouraging that it allows you to use any goal you want and doesn't really warn you that that may be the wrong goal for you. It's nobodys fault, it's just that the goal gives people certain, sometimes unrealistic, expectations but doesn't explain what entails each goal.
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    this has me thinking. i normally keep my cals around 1300/1400. i don't eat all my exercise cals. my daily is set at 1200. i was just thinking the other night i needed to look into adjusting it all, because by my bedtime my tummy is growling. i try not to eat after 8 at night. i am diabetic, so i know the importance of balance, etc. my last A1c was 5.8. i can eat anything it doesn't affect my levels. but, i am hungry. so this week i am going to eat all of my cals and see where this gets me. i do take measurements every month. i do have it set at a 2# loss a week. yes, i am over 200#s. before when i had lost most of this 62#, i was just doing the carb count for diabetics, so wasn't really watching cals. i was losing quickly. i know i was eating at least 2000 cals a day. i just had to make sure i didn't go over 45 carbs per meal. after i quit smoking i tried lots of ways to start loseing weight again. found this site and love it. so went the calorie route. interesting stuff. sorry it's so long.
    chipper
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    :happy: bump
  • melissa73
    Options
    I would definitely look at the links that Shorerider provided...
    These links for me is like a bible. I have several that I read all the time just to keep me on track.

Good luck... Melissa
  • shorerider
    Options
    This site really needs a human food metabolism 101 tutorial, and stickies. It's discouraging that it allows you to use any goal you want and doesn't really warn you that that may be the wrong goal for you. It's nobodys fault, it's just that the goal gives people certain, sometimes unrealistic, expectations but doesn't explain what entails each goal.

But Banks--then what would we do to fill our spare time??
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

you mean instead of re-buming the same 10 posts every 30 minutes? LOL, dunno. I'd sleep probably. :ohwell:
  • shorerider
    Options

you mean instead of re-buming the same 10 posts every 30 minutes? LOL, dunno. I'd sleep probably. :ohwell:

:laugh: