We are a newbie family

Options
First day on this site. I joined a local biggest loser contest and the sponsor recommended MyFitnessPal. I have A LOT of weight to lose so I will hopefully be around for awhile.
I am 45 and have spent the better part of my life battling my weight. About 13 years ago I was successful in losing 70+ pounds which I kept off for 6 years which included two pregnancies. Towards the end though I was working out a lot, which made me incredibly hungry. At that time it was okay because I was burning it off. Then I destroyed my knee and had to have surgery and couldn't work out but yet kept eating like I was. A year later we moved to another state, I quit smoking and now have been battling depression. Unbelievable that I let myself get up to 288lbs!
Well finally something snapped just recently when I saw my children are struggling because of their own excess weight. They are only 10 & 11 and I do not want them suffering like I have! So we have all joined the biggest loser to help motivate us to get started. Next we are joining the YMCA to get more active!
It's only been a few days but already we have made some excellent progress. I have eliminated my soda and am restricting my beer intake, which were my primary fluids and replaced it with water. The girls are not having chips and cookies in their lunch. We are all limiting our after dinner food intake, they have a freeze pop instead of ice cream.
This is not going to be a diet, it's a change of lifestyle.
Thanks for taking the time to read about us!

Replies

• ceirawillsucceed
    ceirawillsucceed Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    you sound like you are all starting really well and seem very motivated.
    good luck and keep going.
    feel free to add me if you like.
  • slyder432
    slyder432 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!! I think it is awesome that this has become a family goal! Mine are slowly following my example. The best thing you can do is be a positive role model. CONGRATULATIONS for making the lifestyle change!! Add me if you like!! Good Luck!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Try sorbet instead of ice cream too. it is so good and 80 calories, 0 fat a serving instead of 250 cal and lots of fat or more for the ice cream. I am getting my son active with me it is more of a play then exercise. Sports burn lots of calories and are fun!
    I wish you luck and you are on the right track joining this site. :)
  • destinationparadise
    Options
    That is great that you got your kids involved as well. I wish you all the best of luck!!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Excellent! I'm glad you have the whole family working together to be healthier, you can support each other when one of you is having a bad day! Welcome aboard!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    WELCOME! Stay positive and motivated! You have definitely come to the right place! Feel free to add me if you'd like!