Starting our kids off WRONG

Options
We all know that eating 6 small meals a day instead of 3 big meals is so much better for you, but once our kids hit school age it seems that we try to mold them in to the 3 meals a day pattern, and it's no wonder that we have so many over weight kids turning into over weight adults. I particularly worry about this because I have a husband that was always "chubby" and now have a son with the same problem. And it breaks my heart to see so many young girls on this sight with weight problems, some of them very severe. I personally didn't have any major weight issues until after I got married and had badies.

When my kids were little, I ran a daycare in my home and I would serve breakfast, 10:00 snack, lunch, 3:00 snack, which I thought was a great schedule for the little ones. Now my kids are in school and they eat breakfast (which I have to force down them), a big lunch, a snack and a big supper. Which they will do for 13 years (k-12) That's a 13 year habbit that they will then have to break in order to be "healthy" later in life.

What are your guys' thoughts on this?

Replies

• Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    We all know that eating 6 small meals a day instead of 3 big meals is so much better for you, but once our kids hit school age it seems that we try to mold them in to the 3 meals a day pattern, and it's no wonder that we have so many over weight kids turning into over weight adults. I particularly worry about this because I have a husband that was always "chubby" and now have a son with the same problem. And it breaks my heart to see so many young girls on this sight with weight problems, some of them very severe. I personally didn't have any major weight issues until after I got married and had badies.

When my kids were little, I ran a daycare in my home and I would serve breakfast, 10:00 snack, lunch, 3:00 snack, which I thought was a great schedule for the little ones. Now my kids are in school and they eat breakfast (which I have to force down them), a big lunch, a snack and a big supper. Which they will do for 13 years (k-12) That's a 13 year habbit that they will then have to break in order to be "healthy" later in life.

• klikittyklak
    Options
    Yeah, my parents are still mad about what school did to me. Supposedly I ate very healthily, not a lot of sugar or anything, then I went to kindergarden and ruined my good diet. That's really why schools need to push better meal programs, and less (or healthier choices) in school vending machines. Starting off right is really important. Good habits formed early on play a huge role in later success.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Metabolism for a child is different from an adult. While it would be better to have that big meal in the morning and afternoon, and a light dinner, because of the growth rate of the body, kids don't (normally) store fat at anywhere near the rate of adults, thus can eat a lot more calories (proportionately) then adults in one sitting and not put on much (if any) fat. There are, of course different situations and every child is different, but as a whole this is generally the case.

This does NOT mean you can give a child whatever, and they won't get fat. Especially in children, I feel it's far more important to feed them the RIGHT food, then too much food. I.E. if they are eating large meals, but they are at least nutritionally balanced and don't have much saturated fats and/or simple sugars and carbs, then I feel like it would take a LOT to make one (assuming normal health) gain excessive weight.

As to the 6 meals and kids, I don't think it's anywhere near as important. Child metabolisms are ramped up to such a high level that, anywhere from 3 meals to 6 meals will give them what they need (as long as they are healthy).
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    Your right, the school system sets them up for 3 large meals,. I guess the only thing to do is explain how they should eat, what is healthy, and how eating at small intervals keeps their body fueled and motabolism up. I'm guess that like most Americans, they will always have a life that makes being healthy difficult, even as adults. Now is when they will learn that they will have to excert some effort to stay healthy, and work around "the system" sometimes.They should get 2 breaks in school, one before lunch and one after. They could eat a snack between those breaks, it seems. (Oh my, I don't want to think of a world where schools don't let kids eat for 4 hour stretches. I hope that isn't the case!)
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    Bank, I agree, but my whole thing is that we get them in a routine that they do for 13 years, then they change
    and they way their process things change, and they need to change they way they eat, but when they been eating a certain way for 13 years its hard for them to break the 3 big meal a day habit and switch to 6 smaller meals. So then even if they eat 6 meals 3 of those still end up being big meals (because breakfast, lunch and supper have always been big for them). Therefore over all they end up eatting excess calories.

That seems to be the pattern I see
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    (don't do it Marla-- don't do it)

Well, okay, here's what I think-- I think our "obesity" epidemic is because our kids are either in school all blinkin' day on their behinds, in after school programs, daycares and on video games instead of being outside playing and riding their bikes like we were as kids.

I wasn't a fat kid UNTIL age 10 when my mother went back to work fulltime, turning me into a latchkey kid who ate unsupervised, and sat around and watched TV 'cause no one was there to tell me get my butt outside and play.

I think it's less about what the kids eat. Heck, all the skinny girls in school when I was a kid still ate Twinkies, but they were active so it all came out in the wash. Me? I ate a Twinkie and got fat. It's about the supervision they have and what they do with their free time.

I think it's outrageous my kid CAN'T get a soda in school if he wants one because the schools are so nutty about this topic that all sugar and fat is off limits. It's madness. I think the schools job is to teach Readin', Ritin' and Rithmetic, not dictate what our children eat. That's my job.
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    Your right, the school system sets them up for 3 large meals,. I guess the only thing to do is explain how they should eat, what is healthy, and how eating at small intervals keeps their body fueled and motabolism up. I'm guess that like most Americans, they will always have a life that makes being healthy difficult, even as adults. Now is when they will learn that they will have to excert some effort to stay healthy, and work around "the system" sometimes.They should get 2 breaks in school, one before lunch and one after. They could eat a snack between those breaks, it seems. (Oh my, I don't want to think of a world where schools don't let kids eat for 4 hour stretches. I hope that isn't the case!)

My kids eat breakfast at 7:00 get to school at 8:00, and don't eat anything until 11:45, then nothing again until 4:00. I would die if I had to go that long with out food
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Bank, I agree, but my whole thing is that we get them in a routine that they do for 13 years, then they change
    and they way their process things change, and they need to change they way they eat, but when they been eating a certain way for 13 years its hard for them to break the 3 big meal a day habit and switch to 6 smaller meals. So then even if they eat 6 meals 3 of those still end up being big meals (because breakfast, lunch and supper have always been big for them). Therefore over all they end up eatting excess calories.

granted and I agree. Although, I imagine that once we get them into jr high and high school we can consiously change their habits and instill in them the importants of eating the right amounts and at the right times. Even though the habits are drilled into them in grade school, I think that high school is still young enough to teach them to eat right. If you have reasonable teens (I know, I know, that's a contradiction in terms), then they will at least absorb the info and have it in their head, I feel like that would be enough (or should be at least). While giving them good habits is good, teaching them why those habits are good is better, because an ignorant habit doesn't have a foundation if that habit is ever tested.
  • Anna_Banana
    Options

Well, okay, here's what I think-- I think our "obesity" epidemic is because our kids are either in school all blinkin' day on their behinds, in after school programs, daycares and on video games instead of being outside playing and riding their bikes like we were as kids.

I wasn't a fat kid UNTIL age 10 when my mother went back to work fulltime, turning me into a latchkey kid who ate unsupervised, and sat around and watched TV 'cause no one was there to tell me get my butt outside and play.

I think it's less about what the kids eat. Heck, all the skinny girls in school when I was a kid still ate Twinkies, but they were active so it all came out in the wash. Me? I ate a Twinkie and got fat. It's about the supervision they have and what they do with their free time.

I think it's outrageous my kid CAN'T get a soda in school if he wants one because the schools are so nutty about this topic that all sugar and fat is off limits. It's madness. I think the schools job is to teach Readin', Ritin' and Rithmetic, not dictate what our children eat. That's my job.

I some what agree, but I don't think kids shouldn't get to just have soda it should be something special they get only occationally, and I do feel that the school does have to teach kids about nutrition, because hell the teachers there see my kids 8 hours a day. After they sleep 9 hours and are in transport another 2, that leaves only 5 hours they are with me, of which time they are doing chores, homework, and bathing. Also there are a lot of kids in this country that the only nutrition they get is at school, and there are a lot of kids that eat 2 out of 3 meals at school. So the school is the main place they learn about nutrition
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    We home school. Part of our time during the day is for AM snack - if my kids don't get that input of fuel, their brains seem to lag... So, it's not just about feeding their metabolisms, it is about feeding their brains too.

I think a major part of why we see obesity in children is this is an instant gratification society.... There are fast food places every 100 yards and soooo many parents have overstretched their time to work extra hours, do softball, go to soccer, play with their friends, keep up with the Jonses all the while they look over their back to be sure their co-worker isn't taking their spot THAT NOW we as a society have sucum to the fast food pits. It is sad. Many too busy to take care of what is most important....

Look back 20 years ago - when my parents were raising children, they prepared their foods in their kitchens and RARELY went out to eat. Look back 35-40 years ago and think about grandparents era *zero fast food*, many working with their hands still in fields at night (even if they had a "day job").... We were healthier not just because of a lack of fast food joints, but because our society actually had to sow, harvest, reap, prepare and clean up after themselves. That is time consuming and work (burns calories).

As parents, it is our responsibility to stand for our kids and teach them what is important, why it is important and how to use their own brain power to overcome much of society-type thinking. They need our help with this... They need us to be the leaders they respect and look up to NOT that guy on the commercial, not the school teacher, not the big athlete. They need us as parents to be the parents they deserve.

OK - sorry (off soapbox now)
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options

3 large meals with 3 small snacks is not bad either. Kids are different, just like banks said. I know my kids schools have mandatory PE all the way through high school so they get at least 40 minutes of exercise built in to their day.

My kids eat a big breakfast (they have all day to burn that off!), then 4 hours later they have lunch, 4 hours later a decent size after school snack (usually fruit and nuts), then 3 hours later they have dinner and sometimes a small snack between dinner and bedtime.

The 6 meals a day plan is to help keep the grown ups from not eating. Kids are usually on a better schedule than adults because we make them stick to one but then we let ourselves continue with bad habits. The small meal plan is to eat between 4-6 smaller meals a day. If our kids get in 4 meals that is great, that is a good habit builder.

If you don't like what the school lunches are, pack their lunch. My kids take their lunch everyday and I think most parents would be surprised how little kids need for lunch. My kids are 10 and 14 and a 1/2 sandwich, a snack size baggie of grapes and a bottle of milk are about all they need, or have time to consume with the chatter amongst kids.

I signed my daughter up for the gym this summer, she just turned 14. She asked to go and I said I would sign her up and followed that with if I sign you up you are going. I also told her that this was one of the better lessons of life I could teach her and that was to get to the gym for at least 30 minutes everyday, to schedule it in, let the kids cry in the kiddie gym or whatever but that she always needs to remember to take care of herself so she can be a better her and take care of her own family someday!

The schools are not the problem. Think about the time your kids eat breakfast and how many hours between breakfast and lunch, lunch and snack, snack and dinner and even one more snack. Most schools even have snack until 4th grade between breakfast and lunch. If your kids are over 13 they are old enough to pack a snack and eat it in between meals if they are hungry.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

I some what agree, but I don't think kids shouldn't get to just have soda it should be something special they get only occationally, and I do feel that the school does have to teach kids about nutrition, because hell the teachers there see my kids 8 hours a day. After they sleep 9 hours and are in transport another 2, that leaves only 5 hours they are with me, of which time they are doing chores, homework, and bathing. Also there are a lot of kids in this country that the only nutrition they get is at school, and there are a lot of kids that eat 2 out of 3 meals at school. So the school is the main place they learn about nutrition

Well, yes, I'll agree the kids are in school all blinkin' day-- but I will not agree that the school's job is anything but to teach them academically. And wil leave it at that-- this is a nutrition forum, after all.

Have a great day--

(breathes a sigh of relief that she avoided adding two more cents to this discussion and ticking more people off with her black and white view of the world)
  • GoGetterMom
    Options

Please don't take this wrong because I think your heart is right, but NO! You are the parent. You get to decide. Schools are for academia and with all the bogus nutritional teaching done in the schools systems in the last 30 years. My goodness...

Take a close look at what those kids get for school lunch. Really, most of them are not great and loaded with sodium. There are so many healthy choices that would be better for the kids. You are the parent, do you really want that teacher (who probably has different values than you do) teaching your kids the things that are clearly important to you - to your little ones? You are on this site because health and nutrition are important. You can teach the kiddos so much by your example of daily life and healthy conversations at your dinner table.

You can teach them this most vital information!
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options

I don't think 3 meals a day is wrong. Look at the European countries and their lower rates of obesity. My wife just went on a teacher's trip to a few countries there, including Poland, and she noticed how she felt like the heaviest one there (though she is not as overweight as I am) same for the other countries, and in each one it had nothing to do with how much money one has, etc. She observed, and noticed 2 things:
    1) That most people walked a lot.
    2) That "snacks" were more of an American thing. The people in those countries didn't snack or have more than 3 meals a day. They generally ate a small breakfast, a regular-sized lunch, and a small dinner. Each meal was definitely not diet-like foods or low-calorie foods, except for the ubiquitious soup that was eaten with lunch and dinner to add to a sense of fullness.
    They seemed to really enjoy their meals, and interesting enough, many ate outside, enjoying the atmosphere.

I think we have much to learn from other countries. This isn't new, obviously. Most of us heard of the "French Paradox" but it's easy to forget.

I think in America, our eating habits have had a few decades to get to this point, that even those my age have never known otherwise...but when my parents were kids in the 50s, people ate more like the European countries do today.

I think the answer is to try, over time, to revert to our older ways.
  • Anna_Banana
    Options
    Well my kid's school don't serve the snacks to the kids, and as far as I know the older kids don't get to just carry snacks around and eat them when ever they want. They go to a pretty small school (my daughters 6th grade class has 25 kids in it, and there is only one 6th grade class), so it is pretty easy to monitor what goes on in the halls, and they only get 2.5 min between classes.

I do my best to keep our kids healthy, It's the society as a whole I'm really worried about. We live 8 miles out of town (pop 300) and 14 miles from the town where they go to school (pop1000), but we drove both girls into town twice a week all summer to go to basketball, and our son twice a week to go to baseball. We don't have any TV and our kids have to help with all cleaning and animal chores. Now that school started (which we live in such a rural area there is no choice what school to go to). They do have PM twice a week and my 12 and 10 year old girls play after school and weekend volleyball.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Well, my son is a veggian!!
    He is 15 going on 21.
    He eats healthy now, but did not used to when he started this change in February.
    He was eating once a day a big meal and snacking all day long.
    He lost 10 lbs. I was worried. He is already a stick.
    So now, we are education each other about veggie made burgers nad all and he loves it.
    He has gained 15 lbs and works out and is really understanding why 3 big meals is just not right for so many.
    He never eats at school so I have planned meals at the house.
    Everything from burritoes, veggie burgers, home made veggie stir fry and all he has to do it pop it in the microwave.
    I too have started with breakfast, then snack, small lunch, then snack, bigger dinner nad small snack later. It was hard at first. I thought I was eating way too much. But it is paying off. I don't get that starving feel in the mornings nad I can go longer with out the cravings.
    Just remember, healthy snacks nad I have been eating 2-3 veggies, sometimes, with my regular meals.
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    Hmm...
    My elementary school kids
    6:30 a.m. breakfast
    morning snack
    11 a.m. lunch
    afternoon snack at school
    afternoon snack after school program
    dinner
    after dinner snack about 1/2 hour before bed

At my children's school they can have a little snack at their recess. We pack their lunch and include enough for morning and afternoon snacks.

Even without changing anything about the school I think many children can eat many times a day. If you are concerned perhaps you could gently ask the teacher if a snack could be worked into the day.

If you dig around there may be some study on whether having snacks increases student performance...then the schools would all sign on.

Good luck!
  • karabeccasmith
    Options
    Okay I have been reading a book called, "Disease proof your children". It is all about feeding them healthy foods so that their immune systems are healthy and they don't develop horrible diseases like cancer at 30. On the chart of what our kids consume (and this is a little out dated) they consume like 60 + % of processed foods!!! They only consumed 17% fruits and veggies, that is scary. So even though I gained weight I am a closest junk food junkie and I have always been very aware of what my kids eat. (Well most of the time) It is just training them toward a healthy life style. I have been trying to change it more and more toward healthier foods. Because they still would eat only bread over veggies or pasta over salad. So it is just lots of work and modification.

Now on the school I have lots of issues with the public school system, thus my decision to home school my kids. I know not everyone can do this, so I think you will just have to keep after the school systems. But they have already done a lot to change the schools for healthier eating like removing the coke machines and offering more healthy choices. But like my book says if you start healthy eating habits at home then the kids will take it with them and be more likely to make healthy choices. Like this doctor pointed out one day his young daughter was going on some sort of field trip and they had to pack lunches. The daughter later asked him why the others kids parents hated them. Surprised he asked her why? She said that the others kids lunches were full of junk food and she wanted to know why their parents hated them and didn't want them to be healthy. He was a little taken back but explained to her that the parents loved their children they just didn't understand the significant healthy benefits of healthy eating.

I am one of those parents and I get lazy sometimes!! It is so much easier to whip a snack out of a package then have to plan a healthy snack or meal. It isn't easy and I have kinda ruined my kids because when I was sick and on chemo I feed them whatever because I was to tired to care. Now my daughter thinks everything should be chicken or bread and I am having to slowly break that habit. I try to give them a fruit snack in the morning between meals and veggies snacks between lunch and dinner. Dinner is my biggest struggle.

Banks is right that children need to consume more food and need more calories. However it is advisable to spread it out with three meals and two snacks. That keeps them from over stuffing themselves and forming bad habits and keeps the nutrition they need in their bodies to grow. But the point is not to let them get in bad snacking habits and fill up on snacks, that is what my three year old would do if I let her.

I don't know if I helped any, but there is my two cents :happy: .
  • GoGetterMom
    Options
    Well my kid's school don't serve the snacks to the kids, and as far as I know the older kids don't get to just carry snacks around and eat them when ever they want. They go to a pretty small school (my daughters 6th grade class has 25 kids in it, and there is only one 6th grade class), so it is pretty easy to monitor what goes on in the halls, and they only get 2.5 min between classes.

I do my best to keep our kids healthy, It's the society as a whole I'm really worried about. We live 8 miles out of town (pop 300) and 14 miles from the town where they go to school (pop1000), but we drove both girls into town twice a week all summer to go to basketball, and our son twice a week to go to baseball. We don't have any TV and our kids have to help with all cleaning and animal chores. Now that school started (which we live in such a rural area there is no choice what school to go to). They do have PM twice a week and my 12 and 10 year old girls play after school and weekend volleyball.
    We home school, but at a co-op that is technically part of the district (and I am on staff there), so...

Your tax dollars are at work here. If at any point you don't like something for your kids or want a general input, your principal or district superintendent should meet with you. Same with the teacher. Without good quality help and input a school district can't do a lot. They are restricted by state regs and, unfortunately, due to funding issues (yes, most have $$ probs) they are on red alert in other arenas.... Go get involved YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE...
  • Anna_Banana
    Options

I don't think 3 meals a day is wrong. Look at the European countries and their lower rates of obesity. My wife just went on a teacher's trip to a few countries there, including Poland, and she noticed how she felt like the heaviest one there (though she is not as overweight as I am) same for the other countries, and in each one it had nothing to do with how much money one has, etc. She observed, and noticed 2 things:
    1) That most people walked a lot.
    2) That "snacks" were more of an American thing. The people in those countries didn't snack or have more than 3 meals a day. They generally ate a small breakfast, a regular-sized lunch, and a small dinner. Each meal was definitely not diet-like foods or low-calorie foods, except for the ubiquitious soup that was eaten with lunch and dinner to add to a sense of fullness.
    They seemed to really enjoy their meals, and interesting enough, many ate outside, enjoying the atmosphere.

I think we have much to learn from other countries. This isn't new, obviously. Most of us heard of the "French Paradox" but it's easy to forget.

I think in America, our eating habits have had a few decades to get to this point, that even those my age have never known otherwise...but when my parents were kids in the 50s, people ate more like the European countries do today.

I think the answer is to try, over time, to revert to our older ways.

Good points.