best weightloss tips...whats yours?

Options

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Only eat when you're hungry (unless of course your job forces a certain lunch time on you - that meal yer kinda stuck with). I don't mean you should wait until you're STARVED - that's always a bad idea because we make bad judgements when in that mode. But don't eat based on emotions or habits or any of that. Before you put food in your face stop to think "Am I hungry?" I find that 80% of the time the answer is NO.

You have to be careful with this.

I eat every 3hrs (give or take), period...and I'm NEVER hungry...ever. Hunger is based on a lot of inputs from your body...any of which can be misunderstood by your brain, misinterpreted by you, or just flawed to begin with. People who have made a habit of never eating...overweight or not, have small stomachs (they shrink), people who always eat a lot...have large stomachs. Those two people can weigh exactly the same with the same bodyfat. Who will be hungry first? Who will be full first?

Hunger can be a trap for people, either to eat too much, or not to eat enough. Better to plan your meals and eat what you know your body needs, hungry or not. If you feel stuffed, work yourself up to eating the proper amount per meal over the course of a week or two...but most CERTAINLY eat, whether you're hungry or not.

Additionally, I find I make healthier food choices, and consume smaller portions when I eat before I actually feel the need for food. The same with drinking...if I keep myself sated with water, I never feel the craving for a pepsi (also, when I'm not hydrated...I want SWEETS!!!).

Hope that helps!

Cris
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    BE CONSISTENT!!! Keep your head in the game, keep an eye on your nutrition, stay active, stay determined... everything else will follow!
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    keep a daily food diary, drink your water daily AND excercise 5xs a week.

faithfully!!!
  • JD92
    JD92 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Do not deprive yourself of your favourite foods - the urge for them will grow and grow and break out in a binge-fest. Treat yourself to them in smaller amounts once or twice a week or whatever works for you.

If you feel physically hungry, then by all means EAT. If you don't, that hunger will gnaw away at your self control until you attack the fridge.
  • acakeforawife
    acakeforawife Posts: 207
    Options
    PLAN! And even more -- have a plan b, and a plan c, and a plan d and so on. :smile: Like for instance, I usually PLAN to take my lunch to work. If I forget it at home, I have a list on my desk at work of various lunch options within 10 minutes of my office, all under 400 calories or so. That way I'm never having to rack my brain trying to figure stuff out -- I just go straight to the list.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    PLAN! And even more -- have a plan b, and a plan c, and a plan d and so on. :smile: Like for instance, I usually PLAN to take my lunch to work. If I forget it at home, I have a list on my desk at work of various lunch options within 10 minutes of my office, all under 400 calories or so. That way I'm never having to rack my brain trying to figure stuff out -- I just go straight to the list.

Smart girl!
  • mike20603
    mike20603 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Prepare.

1. Prepare your meals before hand (stops unhealthy but quick meals when you are suddenly starving)

2. Prepare to exercise (give yourself enough sleep/food/time/space to do it every day you want to)

3. Prepare to be challegened (and sabatoged by your friends/family/spouse/life/kids/work/life)

4. Prepare to do things you haven't done in a long time (like believe in yourself, sweat like a pig, and pass on foods that used to own you)

5. Prepare to succeed (by making choices every day that contibute to your goal and life)
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    - Eat your exercise calories.
    - Track, track, track EVERYTHING
    - Don't let one "cheat" meal derail you completely
  • gcsjmoore
    gcsjmoore Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yikes. I'm not even home by 7pm. My drop dead time is 10pm (which is probably too late)
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Yikes. I'm not even home by 7pm. My drop dead time is 10pm (which is probably too late)

Past diet wisdom said don't eat within 3hrs of going to bed...because your body cycles from sleep mode to active mode, and during sleep, everything in your stomach goes to fat. There's been quite a bit of evidence to disprove that theory...so I understand. Things like 'your metabolism doesn't know if you're asleep or awake, or what time it is...it does the same things all the time' are becoming very common statements. On that note...I've been told by people I trust IMPLICITLY, that it's ok to eat before bed, as long as you're careful what you eat. High protien, low carb snacks like cottage cheese digest slowly, and give the body various things it needs to build lean muscle in your sleep. Fiber is also a nice choice before bed.

Now, as for eating full on dinner, I'd just try to make it as close to 3hrs before as possible, to be safe. Also, I'd make dinner the smallest meal of the day if possible...again, just to be safe. If you're still hungry before bed and have extra calories (I have a cup on workout days whether I'm over my calories or not), have some cottage cheese. It'll cut the hunger and help repair your muscles overnight.

Cris
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Prepare.

1. Prepare your meals before hand (stops unhealthy but quick meals when you are suddenly starving)

2. Prepare to exercise (give yourself enough sleep/food/time/space to do it every day you want to)

3. Prepare to be challegened (and sabatoged by your friends/family/spouse/life/kids/work/life)

4. Prepare to do things you haven't done in a long time (like believe in yourself, sweat like a pig, and pass on foods that used to own you)

5. Prepare to succeed (by making choices every day that contibute to your goal and life)

This is great advice as is the eat regularly comment. DO NOT LET YOURSELF GET "HUNGRY"! When you let your body get hungry that is telling you that your blood sugar level is not high enough and you will crave the BAD BAD BAD stuff.
    Eat regularly throughout the day, small amounts, (do not eat one big meal and then feel stuffed) to keep your blood sugar level consistent.
    Eat breakfast within 1/2 hour of waking up so that your blood sugar starts the day off right.
    Blood sugar levels are a big key to weight loss.
    And drink alot of water. There is nothing wrong with only drinking water.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    No non complex carbs and eat almost as much protein as carbs
  • Stephinow
    Stephinow Posts: 273
    Options
    Prepare.

Amen!
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Stop eating unhealthy and fattening foods and start eating fresh vegetables, selected fruits, and lean meat.
  • Missy123556
    Missy123556 Posts: 80
    Options
    When you are craving something bad, don't just deny yourself having it or you will be miserable! First, make yourself something healthy, eat it, and wait 15 minutes and reconsider your craving. It will usually be gone!

And do NOT go grocery shopping when you are hungry. Make a HEALTHY list of things you would like to see yourself eating and stick to ONLY what is on that list.
  • mvln
    mvln Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Focus on cardio, weight lifting, nutrition, lots of water, no soda, little sodium, and relaxation. Track blood sugar level and blood pressure rather than weight loss. Weight loss will be the natural by-product and reward of your healthy lifestyle.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My top tips: Pretty drastic, but works without question.

- No ****ty carbs. No bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, anything starchy infact, and eliminate ALL added sugars.
    That one tip alone will shred lots of flab.
    get all carbs from vege's and legumes. you need nothing else.

- Drink lots of water...
    - EXERCISE!!!
    - forget long slow cardio crap. High intensity intervals is where its at. Tabata etc.
    - put some muscle on...increased muscle mass leads to an increase in you're BMR...no brainer really.
  • srb1990
    srb1990 Posts: 37
    Options
    EAT!! EAT!!! EAT!!!!

Most people's diaries I actually look at are set very, very low for their desired actual weight loss!

I disagree about not eating after 7pm...just make sure if you do, it's not sugary and full of carbs. Fiber, or protien based food is perfectly acceptable =D.

What does that leave then lol?
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i go for the 80% rule.

80% of the time you need to eat right and exercise right... that means i exercise hard 4-5 days a week, and on the weekends i just go for a nice walk or something if i feel like doing something. i also go for a walk if i can't make it to the gym, or do some situps and floor exercises, so i'm not doing "nothing".

and i eat well during the week, and allow myself a treat at the weekends. that way i'm not forever hanging out for that chocolate... i know it's only a few days away and i can have some.
  • Iusethistogetsmaller
    Options
    My Tip:

Watch 'Fat head' on instant Netflix, good to make sure blood sugar and insulin is not out of whack.