knees and shin bones

Options
I have been exercising for 3 months now so I am out of the soreness stages,,but for the past week after I do my aerobics and walking my knees and shin bones have throbbing pains shooting through them...and they are sore to the touch if I press them ...
I usually do 20-30 mins of aerobics and 2-3 miles of walking daily...
Am I over doing it or do I need to go to the doctor to make sure I have'nt damanged anything???

Replies

• coolcatcan
    coolcatcan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I would go to the doctor and have that checked out. You could have something like Bursitis

Symptoms (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bursitis/DS00032)
    You may notice:
    * Joint pain and tenderness when you press around the joint
    * Stiffness and achiness when you move the affected joint
    * Swelling, warmth or redness over the joint

I have had this in the past and it is painful, so it's best to get it checked out and be safe.

Good luck!
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    That could be due to shin splints or stress fractures - you may want to have a doctor check it out.
  • michelellawrence
    Options
    @coolcat.... just wondering what the treatment was for it??
  • specvthis
    specvthis Posts: 1
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints to me...Need to take it easy and ice your shins after any sort of activity. Usually takes a few weeks to start getting better. Need to look into new shoes or different technique when running/walking.
  • tammyr76
    tammyr76 Posts: 174
    Options
    I have new running shoes,,thick soled New Balance...Is there a better shoe brand for walking and aerobics,,I do alot of lunges,jumping jacks,side lunges and butt kicks....So there is alot of jarring around....
  • coolcatcan
    coolcatcan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    @michelellawrence ...... treatment can be as simple as an anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen, ice, and rest. Some people have to have physical therapy/exercises that help strengthen the muscle. If it's really bad, some people get corticosteroids injected straight into the bursa to relieve inflammation and pain.

For me, advil helped and a heating pad as well as rest. It took a few weeks for me to be back to normal.
  • Debbie98074
    Debbie98074 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Could be shin Splints. I would get it checked out before working out again. Best thing is ice and rest. Sorry. I too am still recovering from an injury to my knee, after ignoring pain in my knee, 3 years ago!
  • michelellawrence
    Options
    @coolcat.... thanks for the info... i have been popping ibuprofen like its candy lol.... hopefully it gets better each day. :)