Slimming down runner's legs

Options
hng2101
hng2101 Posts: 54 Member
I know there is no such thing as spot training... BUT anyone have any good tips on slimming my muscular legs down? I'm probably in the best shape I've ever been in but my legs always put on muscle super easily and running 20+ miles a week (and walking probably another 20 miles a week) has given them some size. I'm just looking to trim them down an inch or two but keep muscle strength. Anyone know anything that would work for a runner?

Replies

• ticktockunderclock
    Options
    stretch!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    yup, stretch. Muscles are sexy. I have Olympian sprinter thighs, and feel like my calves are more like young tree trunks than legs, but stretching & continuing on the path should help get them more cut :).
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    At first I felt exactly the same way you did...
    Now I'm proud of my big ol' muscular thighs.. I look at them and say "damn, you're doing great". Seriously though, I'll never have a skinny model type body and my legs (running aside) are no exception. But I thick, muscular, whatever you call them.. I'm proud of them. Reminds me of how far I've coming and where I'm still going...
  • fh1951
    fh1951 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    This is outside the box, but take up swimming in place of running. It tends to lengthen out muscles.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Yoga? I don't know. It's a guess.
  • econn
    econn Posts: 157
    Options
    i'm a soccer player and runner and i have really muscular legs as well! i noticed that as i got to a smaller weight, the fat disappeared and it looked leaner.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I would imagine that what you are saying is you don't want to lose the nice runner's muscles in your legs, but maybe slim down the non-muscle areas, and all I can say is that I believe that if one keeps running, EVERYTHING that's slimmable, slims down! I think your legs look awesome just as they are, but I know from (painful) experience that it doesn't matter a whit what I or anybody else thinks...it's what YOU think! My friend is a marathoner who is always wanting to lose a pound or two and while I believe she looks fantastic (and tell her so), she will have none of it. :)

Oh, Heather75, the quote in your sig made me laugh out loud! "Be seductive like an ORANGUTAN - Cool, hairy & sensitive. (I have a t-shirt that says this)"

I GOTTA GET ONE OF THOSE T-SHIRTS!!!
  • Heather75
    Options
    I'm wearing it right now. :)
  • hng2101
    hng2101 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    LOL where did you get such an awesome shirt?!

And thanks! I'll definitely try stretching and my fiance wants to start doing yoga so maybe I'll join him on occasion (even though I think it sounds really really boring)!

My fiance does keep telling me that my legs look great and since I'm a hippy girl (which oddly doesn't bug me--but the legs thing does!) I know I'd look odd with skinny skinny legs. I know from experience that lifting bulks up my legs so I'm trying to stick to running--and now that summer is FINALLY here (yay) I'll throw in some swimming too--to get them more tone and maybe just a little smaller. I do want to keep my muscles strong, just more lean ;-)
  • Heather75
    Options
    Yoga isn't boring. It seems like it would be, but it isn't.

The shirt was a gift from someone who knows me very well.
  • krizdole
    krizdole Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I have the same problem!
    But- my calves started to get bigger when I started to run faster! 2 years ago I ran 6min kilometrs, but now I can easily do 10 kilometrs in 52 minutes. I have tried stretching for 10-20 minutes after every workout but it doesn't do anything. Maybe somebody have some other advise?
    Thank you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    stretch!
    Provides flexibility, but doesn't reduce size.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    What's your BF%? Unless you're like, Incredible Hulk, running isn't going to make your legs massive. Coupled with appropriate calories, it will shred fat off your legs, and unless you are doing nothing but hillwork and sprints, it's an aerobic exercise... Are you confusing "thick" with actual "muscle"?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    Slimming down any body part usually means reducing subcutaneous fat. That's done with consistent calorie deficit and not any particular exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • _cdaley
    _cdaley Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Pilates or barre type classes help with long, lean muscles in my experience. I used to be a ballet dancer (18 years) and that was my favorite body- strong but not "bulky". I don't know that stretching really does anything about the way your muscles look, but it does increase flexibility and decrease risk of injury, so definitely add that in anyway :)
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I know there is no such thing as spot training... BUT anyone have any good tips on slimming my muscular legs down? I'm probably in the best shape I've ever been in but my legs always put on muscle super easily and running 20+ miles a week (and walking probably another 20 miles a week) has given them some size. I'm just looking to trim them down an inch or two but keep muscle strength. Anyone know anything that would work for a runner?

Run long distances, really fast. And a lot...

12392407463_187e168b35.jpgPaula
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Run long distances, really fast. And a lot...

12392407463_187e168b35.jpgPaula

But if running makes your legs bulky...
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Stop flexing them muscles!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    This is outside the box, but take up swimming in place of running. It tends to lengthen out muscles.

you do realize the muscles are connected at fixed points and unless you lengthen said fixed points- it's physically impossible to "lengthen" a muscle beyond it's already established size,...

right? like you under stand this concept? please say you do.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    What's your BF%? Unless you're like, Incredible Hulk, running isn't going to make your legs massive. Coupled with appropriate calories, it will shred fat off your legs, and unless you are doing nothing but hillwork and sprints, it's an aerobic exercise... Are you confusing "thick" with actual "muscle"?

^^^ Yup! People often mix fat with muscles... Same thing with fat and skin....

Google "elite female runner". None of them have big legs and I'm pretty sure those legs are strong!