Does anyone get tired of logging calories

Options
Lately I haven't been logging my calories. I have been a MFP'er since July and I was so super strict with logging calories and work outs ..... but for some reason the last couple of weeks I haven't been logging, I simply visit the site....

What should I do to get remotivated as not logging has not caused me to gain but I also haven't lost in nearly a month.

Help I need some motivation ladies!!!!!!!!!

Feeling like I could fall off the wagon for good.

Replies

• ShellyBee
    Options
    Lately I haven't been logging my calories. I have been a MFP'er since July and I was so super strict with logging calories and work outs ..... but for some reason the last couple of weeks I haven't been logging, I simply visit the site....

What should I do to get remotivated as not logging has not caused me to gain but I also haven't lost in nearly a month.

Help I need some motivation ladies!!!!!!!!!

Feeling like I could fall off the wagon for good.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    ladies, LADIES? Sheesh. No respect! :tongue:

Seriously though, for the first 3 months I logged religiously. Then I got to the point where I basically KNEW what calories a food type/size had. Now I don't log, but I will bet you a week's pay that I CAN tell you how many calories I ate today (or any given day) within 75 calories. Once you get to that point, you don't NEED to log calories anymore, although it helps with the other nutritional info.

Now I know not only how many calories I eat, but how much was unsaturated fat, how much sodium I took in, how much complex carbs I've eaten, how much fiber...etc. It's second nature to me now. It's a big help. I can go out to eat, look at a meal, ask the waiter what type of oil they cook with, and know pretty much, how much of something I can/should be eating.

I think though, after only a month and a half, you probably should still be logging, unless you're much smarter then me (entirely possible, even probable) that's not long enough to know down pat how many calories something has in the real world.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it's so much easier here than keeping a hand written diary and having to look up calories. But I admit, I am really discouraged and can't seem to get back on the wagon. After losing 21, I'm back up six. Ugh
  • CPBC
    CPBC Posts: 12
    Options
    Its all about routine. Breaking the routine of logging could lead to breaking your overall health/fitness routine.

Keep going girl!!
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I tell ya, I have stopped and it is better for ME!!!!!
    Now that I am on Atkins, (3 days cheat free), I pretty much know what is too much and not enough.

Here's how I do it.

IF I have fruit and veggies, I tank up!!!! I usually don't buy canned, because if you compare the ingredients, well, thay are different. I buy organic frozen when I can or hit the farmers markets and freeze it myself.

Fruit too, I try to stay away from melons, it bloats me... but the deep dark frozen sugar free berries, the bomb.

I try to stay away from red meats, I can't digest it.

I eat more fisha nd chicken.

It got to the point that I was so obsessed with counting, I started counting others foods. That's a no no....

So I understand, it get old.....
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    i honestly use my logging to fill my day at work when there is a lull...keeps me busy.....LOOKING busy that is :ohwell:
  • msblondy16
    Options
    I bought myself a cute little journal to log my calories in by hand. It is so cute and pretty that it makes me want to put it to use! I then go back and log calories on the site because I find it helpful to see how many calories I have left at the end of the day. And remember that studies have shown that just writing down what you eat, not necessarily logging all the cals, helps you stay on a healthy eating track. Any little bit helps! Good luck! :happy:
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    There are some days, usually a weekend day I don't log just because I'm too busy. But for me, I like seeing in front of me what I have eaten. If I go over, then I can look and say "You know, you really could have done without that TENTH cookie". Also, if I'm under, I can see if I need to make my last snack for the day something with cheese for the protein, or maybe a good piece of fruit for the fiber. The visualization keeps me motivated.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I have had limited access to a computer (actually having to work at work, pshhh!)
    And I have been losing. As Banks stated if you are at the point where it is kind of second nature to know what to eat and how many calories are in something, it might not be a horrible thing.
    But I have already told myself if I feel those pounds creeping back on or my judgement skewing. I will FIND a way to log again.
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    And remember that studies have shown that just writing down what you eat, not necessarily logging all the cals, helps you stay on a healthy eating track.

Sometimes (not often enough, hehe :angry: ), I find myself thinking: "oh, no, if I'll eat this, I'll have to log it" and I just hate the thought of having to extend that looong list of things I had for the day :laugh:
  • ranhound
    ranhound Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I imagine that all the vigorous logging also serves to educate. Eventually, I will remember what foods and how much will be appropriate for my weight and weight goals.

A life coach once had me make a collage of goals: cutting out pictures and words of inspiration from magazines and pasting them on a poster board and hanging somewhere I could see it every day. It actulally worked by providing a "picture" in my head reminding myself of my desires. In my work out area in my home I have pictures of people that I want to look like. In one case, I "photoshopped" my head on someone else's body to inspire myself. I too get bored easily and have to find new games for myself.
  • jamdblake4
    Options
    I do log everything but after oct 25th I will not be, it can be a real pain looking the food but I eat a lot of the samething everyday, if it's not boneless, skinless chicken or tuna.
    Anyway good luck once you have reached you goal you'll be glad you listed everything and you'll know what to eat and how much. Happy listing
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    Even though I've only been at it for a little over two weeks, I'm already getting tired of logging, but I am more tired of shopping in the Plus Sized clothing section. When I stop and think about that, taking a few extra minutes to log my foods suddenly isn't such a big deal!:smile:

I've no doubt that some day, I'll be able to "wing it" without logging, but until I get a definite handle on portion sizes, I need it!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with lovelylady. I find that I do all right not tracking for a little while then eventually the weight creeps back on.

If you are tired of logging food here then I would just keep a little notepad with you and just jot down what you ate, don't worry about the calories etc. If you maintain or start to gain you can look at what you have been eating and make changes accordingly.

The goal is to create a routine that gets you healthier. Not everyone has to log food or weigh in every week (or hour...you know who you are) or even exercise everyday. Each person is a little different and we all have access to this basic formula for weight loss but we have to tweak it for our individual results. Find what works for you and stick to it, keeping in mind that what works may need some tweaking from time to time as well.

:smile:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, well, not tracking what I was eating is what got me here in the first place!

So, I log and don't mind it--I like being able to see what I'm eating.
  • ShellyBee
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advise. I think to be honest I was just finding I was getting obsessed with it. Logging in so many times a day with everything I ate was getting time consuming since I would log my food and browse recent posts...LOL. I run a day care and was finding it was getting to consuming. As the one lady wrote I too find myself counting how many calories are in others foods, not always the best thing to do.
    so I am setting some new goals and I think I will try the writing it down and maybe take a few minutes at the end of each day to log in for the day.
    I have also set some new goals for my excersise.
    Hopefully all will work out and I will kick this plateau in the buttox....

Thanks again Ladies & GENTS too!!!!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I'm still learning a lot from logging. My pattern has been to log the good stuff and either ignore the bad stuff or just stop logging for the day and start fresh the next. lately I've been forcing myself to log the bad stuff and I'm learning much more, about how to include a variety of food into my diet and compensate for it, about my relationship with food & why I eat when I'm not hungry. etc.

Just like most things in life you learn a great deal from your mistakes, but only if you acknoledge them.
  • ranhound
    ranhound Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, well, not tracking what I was eating is what got me here in the first place!

So, I log and don't mind it--I like being able to see what I'm eating.

Amen! I know I am undoing an entire life of NOT tracking. I gotta make new habits.

89050.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    This is a tool that is very useful at many levels.
    It can be used to educate a person about his/her eating and exercise habits.
    It can be used to record and track over time, to look for patterns that can be modified.
    It can be used to train a person of what healthy eating really is day in and day out.
    It can be used as a refresher course in a healthy lifestyle.
    It can be used to verify whether you are on track or not.

It is very flexible, which is what makes it so powerful.

I logged for a month and a half too to get some numbers to look at.
    I nailed the calories and each of the categories virtually every day. Only one day was more than a few digits off, and even then was really acceptable. I served myself the correct sizes without measuring, as I verified by measuring. It reassured me that I do know how to eat.

This is the way I normally eat. And is the way I've eaten for years.
    I don't bing, eat lots of fruits, vegs, and complex carbs. I go fairly light on meat, getting most of my protein and fat from nuts/legumes etc. But I had gained a little recently and wanted to get a handle on it before it became a problem. I wanted to understand why the gain.

Tracking food and exercise showed me that my eating is fine - that my huge decrease in exercise from two or even a year ago, and possibly the great increase in stress is/was the issue of the slow crawl up the scale. I've been hitting the gym again like I used to do. I am more energetic and relaxed. As I'm at a healthy weight and am very petite, I don't expect to see anything worthwhile on the scale for several months. But I know I'm doing what I need to do to stay healthy. These tools gave me the numbers and tracking reports to look at objectively over time.

Mike did a fantastic job of designing this site and the tools. They give the flexibility to serve a number of roles and a person can fine tune the use of the tools to reach individual goals.

Use the tools that you need to in order to meet your goals. If it requires logging every day for three years there is nothing wrong with that. If you log foods for a while and then take a day or two or a week off to see how you do that's fine too. I think one goal is to eventually automatically be able to eat what your body needs, so recording is a great training in a healthy lifestyle.

edit to add: The support here is another tool. You wonderful people helped me get through my stubborn head that it is ok and not selfish for me to take time to exercise. I can spare the time and will be all the better for it. Thanks:flowerforyou:
  • pecksun8
    Options
    When I first joined, it was haphazard, but once I changed a few things in my life and got on track I have only missed a few days here and there. But I think it's a great idea because it's helping me to see what I am eating and how much, and if I need to add a little extra exersauce to my schedule.