Vitamins

Options
Hi! Just got a quick question – is there such a thing as too many vitamins? I take a bunch of them every day because I hear that they will help me lose weight or they will keep me healthy. Here’s a list of the ones I’m taking

Cranberry
Daily Vitamin
Fiber Supplement
Grape seed Extract
Calcium
Vitamin C
B COMplex

I also drink a 20 oz glass of green tea everyday!

If anybody has any suggestions for what I should add or take away, I’m open to suggestions. Thanks!

Replies

• thatgirlLeah
    thatgirlLeah Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It is possible to have too much of some vitamins but it's rare. If you're taking the things you listed as directed on the labels, you shouldn't have any problems. I take vitamins, too, and enter them in my food log. I just started MFP this week so I'm just getting my bearings, but it was kind of fun to scan the labels of my vitamin bottles. I even created a meal called "vitamins" and it's the first thing I enter every day. It makes me feel like I'm taking really good care of my body, PLUS I get in my first two cups of water for the day right off the bat.
  • MistyNoble1987
    Options
    I have NO PROBLEM with the water intake - I easily double or triple it every day - it keeps me from eating a ton!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I'd add Vit E, omega 3's and I hear cinnamon is great for weight loss. Sometimes you can get them combined so you don't have to take so many.
  • Andrea7701
    Andrea7701 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    From what I have heard and read our bodies will only use what is needed and the rest will be flushed out of our systems.
  • mom111997
    mom111997 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that our bodies flush out any extra vitamins they don't need, unless you have some kind of chemical deficiency that prevents it from doing this, but it's rare. He assured me that taking a regular daily multivitamin is really all you need.
  • art4fun69
    art4fun69 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I take a multi, extra c and calcium. A friend told me her doctor recommended the chewable vitamins as our body absorbs them better.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    From what I have heard and read our bodies will only use what is needed and the rest will be flushed out of our systems.

You need to be careful with the fat soluble vitamins like A and E because chronic overuse can cause them to accumulate to toxic levels in the fat stores of the body. The water solubles like C are more likely to just give you expensive urine.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

agree with this.

I take:
    multi vitamin
    joint support
    fish oil
    milk thistle (for liver)
  • MistyNoble1987
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Jill_newimprovedversion Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    YES- vitamins that are fat soluble- such as A, D and E can be toxic if taken in too high doses. Levels ABOVE the Daily Recommended Allowance are stored as fat- and can screw up your liver from what I understand. This seems to only apply to the supplements, NOT ones we get from foods.

Check out this article:
    http://www.healthcentral.com/fitorfat/408/40318.html

BTW, I checked all the labels on the ones I take. Some do have calories/fat ( such as Omega 3 fish oil)- so I log them
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    YES- vitamins that are fat soluble- such as A, D and E can be toxic if taken in too high doses. Levels ABOVE the Daily Recommended Allowance are stored as fat- and can screw up your liver from what I understand.

Not just the liver. Years ago I remember reading about the case of a family that was initially suspected to have a previously unknown genetic disorder that caused the children's cranial sutures to dissolve and separate. Their skulls were literally breaking apart. It turned out to be chronic vitamin A toxicity. The mother, desperate to do something to help her kids, had been unwittingly poisoning them with ever larger doses of vitamins as they got sicker and sicker.