Healthy foods for a party.

Options
serendipity22
serendipity22 Posts: 248 Member
I'm having some people over on Sunday to watch a movie marathon. I'm looking for healthy finger foods to serve. It is all girls and some are vegetarians but most are meat eaters. In the past, I would serve things like cookies and chips. Does anyone have any ideas for things to serve? I really like to cook if that helps. Thanks.

Replies

• sweetscorpio17
    sweetscorpio17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I made buffalo chicken wraps for a super bowl party in the past, they were really good. Just cook some ground turkey with minced celerly, onion and carrots and peanuts. Then add a whole bunch of frank's hot sauce. Put scoops in lettuce leafs and you can add yogurt blue cheese dressing :)
  • KaironAndTaviansMommy
    KaironAndTaviansMommy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Okay, so if you go to my profile I posted a picture of these AMAZING pizzas. They are made with 100 calories English Muffins, pizza sauce, turkey pepperoni minis, turkey sausage crumbles, and fat free cheddar and mozzarella cheese. All you do is take the english muffins, put them into the toaster, once they are done to your like, then spoon on the pizza sauce, add the meat and sprinkle with the cheese. Then microwave for like 45-60 seconds. If you do two muffins with a serving size of everything else, all 4 halves come out to be 490 calories, all together and they are amazing, even my husband liked them and he is very picky...

The other thing you could do is take a serving size of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries and put them into a ziplock bag and squish them together until all mushy, then pour the bag of fruit over a shortcake (the shortcake is 110 calories), which you can normally find in the fruit area at walmart. I hope you enjoy these recipes... They are both very delicious and easy.

Have a great party on sunday!

Bree
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Try this

6 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into thin chips

2 tablespoons olive oil

salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
    Sponsored by:

Preparation method
    1. Preheat the oven to 220 C.

2. In a plastic bag, combine the sweet potatoes, oil, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Close and shake the bag until the chips are evenly coated.

3. Spread the chips out in a single layer on two large baking trays. Do not crowd the chips onto one tray.

4. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until crispy and brown on one side. Turn over and cook for another 20 minutes, or until they are all crispy on the outside and tender inside. Cooking time will vary depending on how thick you cut your chips.

Or this one

Ingredients (serves 4)
    80ml (1/3 cup) water
    100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
    3 small (about 250g each) orange sweet potatoes (kumara), peeled, cut into 2mm-thick slices
    2 tsp cumin seeds
    2 tsp sea salt flakes
    1 tsp dried piri piri seasoning (MasterFoods brand)
    Bought tzatziki, to serve

Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Combine the water and sugar in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly. Add the sweet potato and set aside, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes to soak.

Meanwhile, combine the cumin, sea salt flakes and piri piri seasoning in a bowl.

Drain the sweet potato and discard syrup. Place the sweet potato, in a single layer, on the prepared trays. Sprinkle with half the salt mixture. Bake in preheated oven, swapping trays halfway through cooking, for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and turn over the sweet potato slices. Sprinkle with the remaining salt mixture. Bake in oven for a further 20-30 minutes or until sweet potato chips are light brown around the edges. Remove from the oven and set aside for 25 minutes to cool.

Spoon tzatziki into a serving bowl and serve with sweet potato chips.

I actually made the second one last night, to make it lighter I didn't use any sugar. I put my sweet potato slices in water on a low heat and added chilli and garlic for the potato's a absorb the flavor then I put them in the oven for about 25 at 200 degrees each side. I didn't use salt I used a fries sprinkle instead
  • cm80123
    cm80123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I always try to have lots of veggies cut up and fruit. I put Hummas out as a dip. I found a few "light" cheese spreads. Also some "lite" popcorn
  • KaironAndTaviansMommy
    KaironAndTaviansMommy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If you go with the lite popcorn Idea... you could always use the I cant believe its not butter spray and spray the popcorn then shake on the popcorn seasonings they have out there.. They are really low in calories... I believe the nacho cheese popcorn seasoning I have for a serving is like 2 calories for I believe 1/4 tbsp. Im not quite sure but i know its low...

bree
  • serendipity22
    serendipity22 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your help. I'm going shopping tomorrow for food. I think everyone will enjoy the food.