Victories: Scale and Otherwise

Options
ladyhawk00
ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
I wanted to give a bit of an update:

A bit of background is here:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/175241-a-personal-view-on-exercise-cals-and-underfeeding

It has been a little over 5 months since I began to change my eating and exercise habits. I know I lost a little bit of weight before joining MFP, but I had a fear of the scale and wasn’t weighing myself at the time.

Since beginning to weigh, I’ve lost 19 lbs in 21 weeks (I was essentially bedridden for 2 weeks). I’ve lost 4 inches from my waist, 2.5 in from my hips, 2 in from each thigh, 1 in from each arm and 2 in from my bust; for a total of 14.5 inches. My back pain is dramatically improved, and my energy level is much higher. Despite a recent setback after getting a horrible flu, I have felt better than I have in years, mentally and physically.

But far more importantly, I’ve addressed some of my issues with food. I will not say I am “cured” or even at a completely healthy mindset yet. I still have difficult times. But that is part of the process. Those difficult times help me continue to learn how to deal with stress and emotions.

I’ve made tremendous strides in my weight, overall health and lifestyle. How did I do this?

By following MFP’s guidelines and finding habits that I can live with:

-- I chose an appropriate loss per week goal and update it when I should.
-- I make a sincere effort to MEET my cal and macro goals each day. No, I do not succeed every single day. But I try, and I am usually pretty close.
-- I eat at least most of my exercise cals, as MFP is designed for.
-- I include snacks and try to balance my macros for each meal.
-- I make an effort to plan. I think ahead about what my exercise will be for the day, I plan my meals accordingly.
-- I eat frequently, on schedule, whether I am hungry or not.
-- I include “treats” almost daily
-- I exercise a moderate amount, allowing at least one rest day per week

Finally, and probably most important, I do not allow my weight, my clothing size, my food choices, or any person, to determine my worth or who I am. I do not compare myself with others who lose faster or slower, or who eat better or worse. I do not have “good” or “bad” foods. I do not let food have power over me. And I do not see a bad meal, bad day or a poor choice as a failure; it is an opportunity to learn more about myself and how I can improve my choices and my life.

I still have room for improvement, and always will. I still learn something new every day. And I feel incredibly fortunate to have found MFP and the people here, as every part of MFP has contributed a great deal to my progress and my life.

Stay tuned for halfway progress pics in the next couple of weeks. Still working up the courage for that.

Replies

• callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Finally, and probably most important, I do not allow my weight, my clothing size, my food choices, or any person, to determine my worth or who I am. I do not compare myself with others who lose faster or slower, or who eat better or worse. I do not have “good” or “bad” foods. I do not let food have power over me. And I do not see a bad meal, bad day or a poor choice as a failure; it is an opportunity to learn more about myself and how I can improve my choices and my life.

That is so, so, so, so huge. What a victorious post. Can't wait to see the progress pictures.
  • Nemlein
    Nemlein Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You are just awesome an I'm so glad that you shared your personal achievements here. You have done so much for this community and its about time you got to enjoy some of your successes. Keep up the fantastic work!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! It feels a little strange posting on the success board. :laugh: But I'm feeling pretty proud about getting this far. :bigsmile:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    very well said :)
  • iwlizz
    iwlizz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    can't wait to see the pictures!
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I reckon; A bit part of the process in weight loss for some of us is to finally love and accept ourselves, remembering to being patient and kind with ourselves, and gracious and forgiving. To treat ourselves the way we have (or should have) been treating everyone else.

Dunkirk
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    You have the most amazing out look and have done a wonderful job in your journey thus far... great Job on your avhievements..Your illness was rough but you bounced back! Your opinions and knowledge have been key in my journey as well.. It is helping me to keep things in perspective.... more than once... :)
  • Sammyk50
    Sammyk50 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Lady, I am so happy for u and proud for u. Wonderful job well done! Keep moving forward and enjoy the journey :)
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this -- you speak many truths! :) You are a true encourager and motivator and I am thankful for you!
  • kimphillips36
    kimphillips36 Posts: 125
    Options
    You're doing great girl!! I would encourage you to post before & now pictures...they are motivating for you and others!! :smile:
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Awesome - great summary or what we all should be doing. I have a really similar attitude.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!