SUSHI

Options
So I LOVE sushi! and my school just got a sushi bar!!!!!!!!!!! :) I wanna try it out tomorrow. what are the healthiest types of sushi?

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any sashimi. Some places have brown rice. Otherwise a little of the sushi rice isn't too bad. Go easy on the soy sauce or use the low sodium if available.

If you go for rolls, avoid the ones the have tempura or mayo or cream cheese.

Enjoy!

Here's a handy link for calories in various sushi items: http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm , thanks to Anubis609 for showing it to us.
  • Dancinblind
    Dancinblind Posts: 26
    Options
    the ones without tempura in the name and cream cheese in the center.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Agree with the first comment. Exactly what I was going to say.
  • ldybugg
    ldybugg Posts: 134
    Options
    bump
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    No tempura....
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    ♥Violette♥4Ever♥ Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    For the last month and a half I eat sushi on Friday and Saturday nights and for both lunch and dinner on Sundays. I eat approximately 6 to 8 pieces...salmon, tuna, and red snapper (once in a while a couple pieces of unagi dependent upon whether or not I have worked out prior to the meal) and I also eat approximately 30 to 50 Edamame pods with the sushi.
  • drazil2
    drazil2 Posts: 3
    Options
    I also love sushi! I knew I didn't want to give it up entirely to lose weight so I did some research to see how to make it work with the calorie restriction.
    For one thing, if I know I'm going out for sushi dinner I will try to eat lighter fare for breakfast and lunch so I have more calories to work with for dinner.

Things that are good:

Sashimi (fish without rice). I usually stick with tuna and salmon because they are my favourites. Tuna has less fat then salmon, so that's good to keep in mind.

Miso soup: It has the "good" soy, low in calories, low in fat, and has fibre. Also it helps to fill you up a bit so you don't go overboard and eat too much. It is higher in sodium though.

Avocado and cucumber rolls; Cucumber rolls would be a better choice for less calories but a bit of avocado is good for you (healthy fats and all).

Brown rice if possible: More fibre then white rice. Best to eat as little rice as possible though.

Low sodium soy sauce if possible. It is INSANE how much sodium is in regular soy sauce.

Green tea: Goes great with sushi and much better for you then pop.

Things to avoid or eat sparingly:

Tempura. I never used to eat tempura, then I started to, figured there wasn't much harm in it, then I gained like 20 pounds in 2.5 years, lol. There isn't really anything good (for you) about tempura so avoid it entirely, on it's own, and in rolls.

Eel/Unagi. Delicious but fattening.

Mayo. This includes California rolls with mayo and spicy sauce made with mayo.

Hope this helps!
  • petchonka82
    petchonka82 Posts: 156
    Options
    Pretty much any sashimi. Some places have brown rice. Otherwise a little of the sushi rice isn't too bad. Go easy on the soy sauce or use the low sodium if available.

If you go for rolls, avoid the ones the have tempura or mayo or cream cheese.

Enjoy!

Here's a handy link for calories in various sushi items: http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm , thanks to Anubis609 for showing it to us.

Thanks for the info!
  • waterfallaus
    Options
    Who'd of thunk it!
    I love the California rolls with cucumber and advocado and salmon. YUM!!!
    I live in MN in an area that is not known for their restaraunts... in other words horrible. There is one here now, but have yet to try it.
  • BBaley2720
    BBaley2720 Posts: 13
    Options
    I would say that eating Brown Rice Sushi with Avocado and Salmon would be your healthiest choice
  • whateverdamnit
    Options
    I'd probably go with salmon. :)
  • luvmykid28
    luvmykid28 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    bump