camping food??

Options
We are going camping this weekend. I was asking my husband what we should bring to eat. We only have a medium sized cooler and we are going to be there for three days and two nights. The usual suspects came to mind; hot dogs, potatoes, peanut butter, lunch meat, baked beans and canned veggies. There is a possibility of bears so we will have to fit all of our food in a bear safe box at the campground. does anyone have any healthier camping options? I can't seem to wrap my head around healthy camping foods, but I want to...

Replies

• sarapulsifer
    Options
    Maybe turkey or chicken burgers instread of beef. Leaner meat products are a must. Maybe some fruits to snack on or veggies. Pea pods are always a must when I go camping. Canned food options with low sodium and reduced fat are good as well. Maybe some cereal or trail mix?
  • DarkDiva2005
    DarkDiva2005 Posts: 140
    Options
    bump
  • DarkDiva2005
    DarkDiva2005 Posts: 140
    Options
    bump
  • JujiBean
    JujiBean Posts: 187
    Options
    I would opt for lower-fat options: eggs, fruit, chicken .... and I ALWAYS take pea pods with us, too! Pea pods sauteed with zuchini and onion are a camp favourite of ours. I do it like a stir fry and add cut up chicken tenders. It's not traditional "camp food" but it is satisfying.

Have a great getaway!
  • EmilyQC
    EmilyQC Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    We are in the same boat, going camping over the weekend, taking a lot of raw fruits and veggies instead of canned foods. (We aren't in an area that we have to worry about bears though) taking small 100 calorie snack packs instead of bags of chips and chicken to grill instead of hot dogs and hamburgers. Hope you have a great weekend, hope that helps a little.
  • emcando
    emcando Posts: 48
    Options
    What kind of equipment do you have?
    We usually take eggs and turkey bacon (that we buy close to the campground).
    Trail Mix or Glenny's Fruit/nut bars - something clean/natural.

If you have Children, there are fruitables and boxed organic milks (Horizon brand).
    Water
    Instant Coffee or grounds depending on your equipment

Granola cereal.
    Apples, bananas
    Carrots, celery
    Peanut butter

You can buy Boca Burgers to heat up on the grill
    Turkey or Salmon burgers are good too.
    Kosher Hot dogs.
    Pretzels or rice cakes (or both).

It's a tough one, but it can be done.
    Good luck!

Emily
  • Steevo13
    Steevo13 Posts: 2
    Options
    I always fish for a meal or 2. We all know how good fish is for you. And you get to have fun and cook it over a camp fire.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Breakfast
    Oatmeal, eggs, fresh fruit, turkey bacon, cereal with low fat milk

Lunch
    Veggie hotdogs or burgers or sandwich
    Garden salads,

Dinner
    Roasted asparagus, zuchini, onions, mushroom, eggplant, squash, sweet potato.
    Grilled chicken, fish, steak
    Baked potato with greek yogurt

Snacks
    baby carrots, celery sticks, cucumber, grape tomatos & hummus.
    Fresh pineapple, honeydew, canteloupe, grapes, cottage cheese
    Granola bars, trail mix, sunflower seeds
  • momma_roo
    momma_roo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas! I eat a lot of that stuff at home I just hadn't thought about some of it for camping. I will definitely pick up some veggie burgers, pea pods and fish. I bought stuff today to make our own trail mix. Low sodium peanuts, granola, dried blueberries and yogurt raisins. i also got some bananas and grapes. i did buy the kids hot dogs to roast over the fire cause it just ain't camping if you don't. lol!
  • GeekMomma42
    GeekMomma42 Posts: 48
    Options
    We do a lot of foil packets fire side when we are camping. Our favorite desert ... take a banana (skin on), make a slit, stuff in 1/4 C of mini chocolate chips or a mini chocolate bar, wrap it in aluminum foil and put in the fire ring .... so tasty. I usually bring graham crackers for kid's to make smores but they also go good with chocolate bananas. Not too bad on the calories and tasty to boot.
  • brandytia
    brandytia Posts: 2
    Options
    For a snack you could do pretzels with laughing cow light. I have laughing cow light a couple of times a week and love it. The light French Onion is great! It's 35 calories a wedge and 1 wedge is plenty.
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    We just went camping last weekend. For both dinners we had tacos/fajitas made with chicken one night and lean beef the next night. We used corn tortillas and lots of veggies. For a side we had fresh salsa and black bean salad. We took eggs and ham for breakfast and hot dogs for lunch. For snacks I bought a giant bag of fruit and nut mix from Costco, some baked chips, oranges, bananas, and Annies Chocolate Bunnies cookies. We made the "Banana Boats", as we call them, too. We put marshmallows ad graham cracker crumbs in ours along with the chocolate. I ate A LOT over those 3 days and didn't gain an ounce. Don't worry about it, and have fun, it's not like you go camping every day ;)
  • momma_roo
    momma_roo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    We just went camping last weekend. For both dinners we had tacos/fajitas made with chicken one night and lean beef the next night. We used corn tortillas and lots of veggies. For a side we had fresh salsa and black bean salad. We took eggs and ham for breakfast and hot dogs for lunch. For snacks I bought a giant bag of fruit and nut mix from Costco, some baked chips, oranges, bananas, and Annies Chocolate Bunnies cookies. We made the "Banana Boats", as we call them, too. We put marshmallows ad graham cracker crumbs in ours along with the chocolate. I ate A LOT over those 3 days and didn't gain an ounce. Don't worry about it, and have fun, it's not like you go camping every day ;)

thanks! You make a good point. I will be hiking everyday and constantly moving with two kids in the woods. It's not like I'll be sitting on the couch all day or anything. Those Banana boats sound like heaven! ; )