Birthdays

Options
Breckgirl
Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
Today is my birthday. I love birthdays, even mine! In my family the birthday person gets to choose the dinner served that night. We always made a big deal out of birthdays with picnics, parties, friends and relatives, and phone calls with "Happy Birthday" sung instead of saying hello. My first phone call came at 7:00 AM from my Ex. LOL

About 20 years ago I started my own new birthday tradition. I honor my parents by doing something for others. I've done Alzheimer’s and March of Dimes walks, given blood, planted flowers for elderly neighbors, and volunteered at the local soup kitchens. This year I'm spending the morning building a home with Habitat for Humanity, one of my favorite charities. I've never told my parents that I'm doing this in their honor but I tell the people that I do the volunteering for why I'm there and how lucky I am to have wonderful parents.

My, parents know that I volunteer, and they love to hear what I've done on my birthday. I lost my dad 3 years ago to a brain tumor. This year my mom is in the hospital with a partial knee replacement on both knees so I will be having my birthday dinner with her in the hospital. I'm bringing our favorite pizza and birthday cake and my sisters and their families are welcome to come and probably will...

Does your family make a big deal out of birthdays or have a birthday tradition? For my birthday I would like to hear your best birthday stories.

Replies

• LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I usually go away someone with a friend who has the same birthday. I want to wish you a very Happy Birthday. I think you're a very wonderful person for everything that you have done and continue to do. Have a great birthday at the hospital and may God bless you greatly.

Lynn
  • jpooley1988
    jpooley1988 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This sounds totally amazing!!!! If I had even thought of this before it would have been an amazing idea. I might do something along these lines though in my town in the coming months! I went to Ghana to volunteer recently, teaching the kids in the schools! It was the best experience ever, and it makes you so happy to be helping!!! I'm hopefully planning on going travelling for a year and doing the same thing!

We have never really made a big thing about birthdays! Obviously when I was younger I had parties etc etc.

It's my birthday on Sunday and I have nothing planned, although my parents are away so I think I'm going to my brothers and I'm sure my little neices will make a big deal out of me!

Not even going out for a drink this year.
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday love!

What you do on your birthday sounds SO admirable and I'll keep your story with me a long time, you are a true gem for doing what you do and you have true integrity, your parents have someone very special to be proud of and I hope you have a wonderful day today.

Birthdays are chaos in my family, we encourage fun and love and laughter, mornings are spent with the family calling to sing happy birthday, now we're older we all have a birthday celebration the weekend closest to your birthday and on that day you can't be reprimanded for anything - that's the rule! We have bespoke cakes made up for us and a big family meanl, generally everyone gets tanked up and half of us end up singing karaoke at the top of our lungs and scaring the bejebus out of the kiddie winks....
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    This sounds totally amazing!!!! If I had even thought of this before it would have been an amazing idea. I might do something along these lines though in my town in the coming months! I went to Ghana to volunteer recently, teaching the kids in the schools! It was the best experience ever, and it makes you so happy to be helping!!! I'm hopefully planning on going travelling for a year and doing the same thing!

We have never really made a big thing about birthdays! Obviously when I was younger I had parties etc etc.

It's my birthday on Sunday and I have nothing planned, although my parents are away so I think I'm going to my brothers and I'm sure my little neices will make a big deal out of me!

Not even going out for a drink this year.

Happy Birthday early! Go out, do something crazy! Wear your shirt in-side-out and backwards and see how long it takes someone to tell you! LOL
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    Happy Birthday love!

What you do on your birthday sounds SO admirable and I'll keep your story with me a long time, you are a true gem for doing what you do and you have true integrity, your parents have someone very special to be proud of and I hope you have a wonderful day today.

Birthdays are chaos in my family, we encourage fun and love and laughter, mornings are spent with the family calling to sing happy birthday, now we're older we all have a birthday celebration the weekend closest to your birthday and on that day you can't be reprimanded for anything - that's the rule! We have bespoke cakes made up for us and a big family meanl, generally everyone gets tanked up and half of us end up singing karaoke at the top of our lungs and scaring the bejebus out of the kiddie winks....

This sound awesome! Family karaoke, what a hoot!
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    We hung vinyl siding this morning but got rained out toward the end. I love hanging siding because you get to see a big change quickly.

Since I had some time I went to have my hair cut and then went to the DMV for a new mug shot on my license, yikes! Why I wait until the day they expire I’ll never know!

No more birthday stories? How sad.:cry: