Pedometer on the elliptical?

Options
I swear I posted this before, but I cannot for the life of me figure out if it posted succesfully or not.

I'm in the 100 mile challenge, and I spend a lot of time on the elliptical. I was wondering just how reliable a pedometer is on an elliptical, if at all?

Would it be better if I kept track of the "steps" taken on the elliptical? I have it on the longest stride [26"] because I'm so tall, so should I just take the stride, times it by the steps, then figure out the feet and therefore the miles that way?

I really, really want to complete this challenge. I do a lot of HIIT on the elliptical, as well as working in aerobic so I can get endurance. I also usually get off my horse while training for my endurance rides and jog a mile, I'll bump it up to two or so. [Gives her a break from my big bum, and gets my blood circulating]

I'd really, really appreciate any advice I can get. I might start C25K if I need to, just to get in some miles!

Replies

• pragna07
    pragna07 Posts: 1
    Options
    You can see your number of steps or distance on an elliptical. May be add that number to your "regular" pedometer numbers? Not sure if this helps!
  • sg8800
    sg8800 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use the Nike+ pedometer and it's not reliable when I'm on an eliptical machine (same for bikes). Sometimes it doesn't measure anything.
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You can see your number of steps or distance on an elliptical. May be add that number to your "regular" pedometer numbers? Not sure if this helps!

Yes, I can see the steps which is nice. I wish it could do the math for me and convert it into mileage!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    ehh, I dont buy it on the eliptical. It tells me I go alot farther than I seem to believe.
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    The general rule is every ten minutes= 1 mile.....that's my research for miles on an elliptical.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The general rule is every ten minutes= 1 mile.....that's my research for miles on an elliptical.

Oh... so are you saying that it's not accurate in terms of mileage then? Darn!