What made you decide to change?

Options
Hi All! I have lost 30 lbs and I feel so wonderful. Looking back at old photos and my "FAT clothes" I wondered why and I how I let myself go and gain as much weight as I did. I probably would have never thought about my weight gain being a problem because I'm newly married, my husband loves me just the way I was, and was living a great life. However, some rude and snoty girls at work started my comments about how much weight I gained and how I have let myself go. At first it really pissed me off but then I looked in the mirror and realized they were right. I didn't have the cute 120 lbs figure anymore or fit into my size 5 or 7 pants. Also, I guess I really didn't have the confidence like I used too. So what made you guys decide to make a life style change, lose weight, and get healthy?

Replies

• SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hello! I keep telling folks for years I was on a diet and nothing ever changed, so one day it did!! Congrats on the new you!
    Shelia
  • sixxx
    sixxx Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I got fat.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I was already over-weight (although fit), then had a knee operation that meant no weight bearing for 6 weeks, and limited movement for 12! As I was eating what I used to whilst cycling to work, I ballooned.

So now, change of diet and 250+ miles a week cycling I feel full of energy again. Just a couple of lbs short of my 4 stone target, have decided to lose another stone to get to ideal weight.
  • Emi_chan
    Emi_chan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Back when I was close to 180 lbs, I had a stressful job and my eating habits were not the best. My typical day consisted of no breakfast, 2 foot-long meatball hero's with cheese for lunch and a whole large pepperoni pizza for dinner. lol When I look back on that now, it makes me sick to my stomach!! So I quickly gained more and more weight and I just knew that I had to change. But it was always, "my diet will start tomorrow!!". So the "tomorrow" came 3 years ago when my mom was taken to the hospital. She all of a sudden had a seizure and it scared me enough to the point where I knew I had to be around a lot longer for my family. And that's what made me decide to change. :) Now, I'm just doing it for myself and trying to lose my last bit of weight for aesthetic reasons. :) I do love how I look in clothes now, and I actually enjoy shopping!!
  • lbkrillin
    lbkrillin Posts: 19
    Options
    My father was kind of a big man and had some complications due to this. He had his knees replaced and multiple hernias and was out of shape. Last July after he had surgery on his hernia he had a heart attack while cutting the grass. He pulled through and had a couple stints put in i believe. I guess this was enough to scare him into starting to take care of himself. He was writing down what he ate and about five or six days after getting home from the hospital he was walking around our neighborhood. A couple of days after that i guess he had another heart attack or a blood clot and passed away. He was 62. So I promised myself that i would start taking better care of myself. I never wanted to live until i was 90, but i sure as hell dont want to die before i even get a chance to retire or see my kids get married or have grandbabies.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    My size 14 pants became tight. No way on earth was I about to buy plus sized clothing so I got serious about losing weight.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    getting engaged! I knew that being over 200lbs and wedding dress shopping would destroy me so I decided that I wanted to lose the weight I put on in college. I'm hoping to be in the 160s or 150s by the time I start dress shopping in September. I am probably really shallow when it comes to the wedding dress but I don't want to look even the slightest bit fat..I want to look skinny and wear an amazing dress. I'll be getting photographed all day and I don't want to have to worry about what the pictures will look like!

also, I bought for the first time in my life, a 1 piece bathing suit last summer and though it covered my body and made me look thinner, I HATED IT. I felt old and gross. Thinking about pulling that baby out again makes me sick to my stomach. I don't have to look like Megan Fox but THIS SUMMER I WILL WEAR A BIKINI.. :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Pictures...somehow I was in serious denial about how much weight I had gained in 2009 and didn't face it until I saw pictures of myself from a weekend away with my besties. Hell, I'd even stopped weighing myself and that right there should've been a clue about my denial since I've been a daily weigher for most of my life! I'd been heavy since high school but this was the biggest I'd ever been and it was not pretty at all.

Thank goodness for the support of my wonderful hubby, my besties, my family (not to mention Weight Watchers initially) and of course all my MFPals!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    No great change for me. I was very fit before having children, but completely stopped all exercise apart from walking after having them, as I never had any time to myself for 5 years, so simply didn't have the time to work out. I started running when my youngest went to nursery last year, though it was only one morning a week at first.

I continued just doing one or 2 runs and an aerobics class a week until this Jan, when a close friend of mine was diagnosed with terminal cancer, and I really threw myself into exercising as a way to deal with the pain, and feel more pro-active. After he died I started running more seriously, as I decided I would do a 10k and a half marathon in his memory to raise money for cancer research.

The eating thing is more of a side issue/control freak thing when nothing else in my life feels under control.
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    A New Years 2011 Picture - WOOFF! Now I've lost 23 pounds and counting :)
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Pictures of myself! I used to LOVE getting pictures taken with friends, i was proud of how i looked. i got comfortable in a relationship and gained a LOT of weight!!! and i mean, a LOT!! Nearly 70lbs in 4 years.... no longer my 125-130lb self.... i stopped being in pictures as much. I actually ended up taking up photography, and my reason for not taking my picture, was because i was the woman behind the camera! I love photography in it's entirety! Well, now I'm getting married this October, and one day it hit me.... if I don't loose some weight, or at least know i'm getting healthy, I'm going to open up my wedding photos, and bawl because i can't even enjoy them because of how i know i looked and how fat i felt!! Now every time i want something bad, i think of my future wedding photos and how I want to look in them!
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am just finally in the right frame of mind to do it.

I put all the weight on while pregnant, some was natural pregnancy weight, but after eating right and exercising my butt off for the first 6 months of pregnancy I got really sick and had to spend 2 weeks in the hospital, 8 of them in an ICU isolation room 18 hours from home. I had a central line put in my neck, ivs everwhere and gained 20lbs in water weight from all the fluids (though it did com back off a week later) Nothing like a medivac flight at 2 am. I was feeling pretty jaded after that and asked myself why I was bothering to take such good care of myself if it didn't make a difference and I gave up and ate what I wanted. I also told myself that it was my last pregnancy (3rd baby) and I could work it off later. Um...now is later?

18 months and one bad year of PPD later, and I am feeling better with life and ready to take back control of my body. I'm not in a hurry, my goal is to be back to where I was pre-baby by my birthday next year. (Feb)
  • bragz
    bragz Posts: 22
    Options
    3 things.

1. I'm 39 and still very active in sports. I want to be able to play baseball, surf, skimboard ect... for myself and also do these things with my son well into my later years.

2. Want to have a better love life performance wise. Extra weight makes things more difficult and the I've already noticed that losing weight and getting flexible makes things more enjoyable. Able to do things I haven't in a long time.

3. Looks. I'm happily married and faithful but who doesn't want to be checked out from time to time.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    when ny mother in law gave me some size 15 jeans, and they fit well!:grumble:
    Now im down to a 3 sometimes a 1!
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    BOOB SWEAT! (yes, bigger guys get it too!)
  • chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options
    my husband started to pick fun at my belly... lol
  • LaurieEReid
    LaurieEReid Posts: 273
    Options
    I got an iPhone and there's an App for that. :wink: From that I really got in to MFP and it has synthesized a lot of weight loss reading that I've been doing in preparation for 20 years.
  • ladybug2020
    ladybug2020 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My "fat" clothes were getting too small and I just hate myself when I look in the mirror. Can't wait to comfortably get back into the clothes I was wearing less than 2 years ago.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I was having an "I look so hot today moment" when a coworker told me in the breakroom that he didnt recognize me at the watercooler from behind and said to me "I am telling you this a friend, but you have gained weight". I was mortified. But, I am so glad he told me that... I had gained around 15 lbs... I have lost 12 of those lbs since then.
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    BOOB SWEAT! (yes, bigger guys get it too!)

This made me laugh a little sorry... I'm SOOOO glad that a guy 'gets' it!! I've been dealing with the dreaded "w" of sweat under my boobs since highschool! It SUCKS BAD!!! Sorry that you have to deal with it, but I can tell you, those "w" sweat marks look much sexier on a guy than a girl..