So freakin MAD

2»

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    I agree with checking out the Couch To 5K (C25K) programme. Walk breaks are the way to go. Also, you don't need to run more than three times a week. Your body needs to get used to a new activity.

Check out my blog "20 things I wish I’d known about running when I started" for some beginner-friendly hints and tips.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

The first three points are particularly relevant for you!

You CAN do this, but on your own terms. It might be time to tell your dad that.
  • BBruins12
    BBruins12 Posts: 10 Member
    Believe it or not Wii fit helps out a lot....they have Yoga programs on TV that you can watch that helps with breathing.

I hate running for runnings sake, it's the worst, so I got back on my bike. Pedaling around the city for a couple hours has burned as much as 2000 calories, and a decent inexpensive bike will run you between 250 and 300, and there's always Craig's list.

My family has a treadmill, and they put a TV in front of it...it works to take your mind off of what you're doing, but if you hate running...you hate running.

Drive yourself...find some good pump up music, and take it on. Just think of it as getting you where you want to be!
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Maybe running isn't your thing - try something else and above all YOU need to have faith in YOU and it doesn't matter if anyone else does. Try a bike, try tennis - try ANYTHING - find you're niche. It's out there and don't blame your dad - it is probably hard for him too. He believe in you or he wouldn't have tried in the first place. :)

I don't agree with this post. Everybody (apart from individuals with medical issues preventing them) can run! We are however all individuals and this will affect how well we jog. For your first week, I think you have done amazingly. You're not supposed to be unable to breathe or see spots in your vision when you jog...you are doing more harm than good. Sure, you shouldn't be able to hold a perfect conversation but pushing your heart too far will not result in weight loss...weight loss can be achieved simply by increasing your heart rate by 50% - 60%. I feel he has been highly insensitive to your progress and is pushing too hard.

Don't give up on jogging...it's an amazing exercise to do! I started only being able to walk at a fast pace and can now run 5 miles in approx 60mins at a speed of 4.5 - 5 m.p.h. Find someone else to go jogging with you and who is new to it and fancys improving their health.

Do not give up on yourself you are doing incredibly well and should be proud.

Let your fathers comment affect you like water off a ducks back....don't worry about it. This is your journey and you should let no one stand in your way!

Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    You should continue because you want to get healthier and slimmer. And maybe to prove all those that put you down that you don't need them to do it. Because you don't. I had the same problem about breathing when running and found that counting in my head helped. I would just mentally count to one hundred (or any random number) breathing in and out with each count. After a while I didn't need to count anymore. You might also try listening to music with a good sold beat and running to the beat. Hope that helps!
  • ghanke
    ghanke Posts: 1
    As a father myself, I apologize for your dad's behavior, but use it as motivation. Someone mentioned Couch25K program and I do believe it would be perfect for you. www.c25k.com is the site...........start on your own and after the 9 weeks invite dad out for a run and kick his butt!

You can do this. I had back surgery last year and have never run a race in my life. After surgery I started walking everyday until I was up to 6 miles, then I started adding some running, sometimes only a few houses before I was sucking wind, but eventually I built up to being able to run my first 5K last September. It is well worth the thrill..........even though I still hate running! Good luck, you can do this.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    I agree with checking out the Couch To 5K (C25K) programme. Walk breaks are the way to go. Also, you don't need to run more than three times a week. Your body needs to get used to a new activity.

Check out my blog "20 things I wish I’d known about running when I started" for some beginner-friendly hints and tips.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

The first three points are particularly relevant for you!

You CAN do this, but on your own terms. It might be time to tell your dad that.
    Loved reading your blog. I am on W4D2 tomorrow and I am struggling because it is torture. I am glad to hear after 10 minute of running it gets better. I can't wait to experience that. Thanks for the blog!
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    I know I'm generalising but MEN! :wink: My hubby is like this! And over the years I have learnt that this is his way of showing he loves me!!

Your Dad is reflecting his inability to help you. He is frustrated more at himself than at you - because he doesn't know how to tell you to do it any differently. I can see my hubby doing the same thing!

Men "typically" respond better to the "tough love" approach than women. So their answer is to shout at you, "drill sargent" you. We women "typically" need encouragement and coaching. (And I say typically as with everything in life there are exceptions to the rule and thats what makes life fun!)

Take a deep breath. Thank your Dad for all his help and tell him you love him (he will need that re-assurance!!) Then do C25K! At your pace, in your time, and the breathing and stride length will come over time.

Let us know how you get on.

(and just in case you men think I am picking on you - not true - I do not know where I would be without the men in my life! The world would be a very boring place with out you and I thank you for being a part of it.)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Don't give up!! Stop relying on other people's praise and encouragement and find the strength from within. You're not doing this for your Dad or anyone else, but for your own health, right?!

I'm a bit self conscious about running so I seem to do a lot better when I'm all by myself. I realized one day that the reason I couldn't catch my breath was not just because I was running but becuase I was stressed about competing with the people around me. You have to learn to stay in your own head and block everythiing else out.

I find counting is really helpful for breathing and keeping a steady pace too. Definitely try the Couch to 5k program and keep in mind that since your'e a beginner, you might need to do each week 2 or 3 times. And definitely take a day break in between running to let your body recover.

Good luck hon. A friend request is coming your way.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    If you aren't getting enough sleep you shouldn't be running at 5:30 in the morning. You really aren't doing yourself any justice by doing that. It may turn out to be counter productive. Also exercising with our parents sometimes can be just like when they thought they could teach us how to drive....ummmmm not a good idea most times lol

Your father isn't a personal trainer so he probably doesn't have the tools to deal with the different levels of athleticism that people have. And because he is your father he probably has seen you give up on yourself before...he may have it already planted in his mind that you are going to give up again. That doesn't make the situation any better.

Couch to 5K is a excellent program. I am a witness. When learning how to run you have to go at your own tempo. You can't adjust to someone else thats in better shape because their endurance is better. But every two to three weeks you should try to step it up a little so that your body endurance can grow. That way you can run longer distances.

When breathing...its in your nose and out your mouth. Not that hard to do when walking but running it can be sort of difficult if you are not use to it. You just have to keep that in your mind until it becomes habit forming. When I started running I actually would just hear it in my mind on a constant loop...in my nose out my mouth in my nose out my mouth lol

Good Luck.
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    You decide who you are going to be - not your dad's expectations, not other people's ignorance or a friend's discouragement. It doesn't matter what weight you are, how old you are, none of that - you can be a runner. But your Dad's approach is wrong. You will not instantly be ready to handle heavy running. Put on some music and go for a power walk... when you feel like jogging, start jogging... if you feel like slowing down, slow. Follow what your body desires, keep at it every day you can manage it (i.e. don't run if something hurts), have fun with it... and you WILL be successful. None of this "breath this way, run this way" stuff is necessary when you're just starting. The question is - how important is it to you? ... Not anybody else. If you want it, this is something you can absolutely acheive. As others have said, couch-to-5k (C25K) is recommended and Hal Higdon's free training programs are good. If you can manage, try to get more sleep and don't push so hard. As I know you know, seeing stars is not fun.
  • Peanutmanda
    Peanutmanda Posts: 103
    Try the Couch25K program. It really helped me and prior to it, I'd never run a day in my life...and was always the fat kid in gym that couldn't do anything. I can now run 30 minutes straight. It is a 9 week program that gradually teaches you to run. Give that a shot...and leave your Dad at home. You can do this!

Yeah, I second this!

^^ This.
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Awww!!! *hugs* Believe me, I know how it feels to have your dad give up on you! When I was younger my dad would take me golfing; I thought it was fun, until he started yelling at me for going too slow and doing it "wrong" :frown: It's hard when they don't know how to be patient with you.

My advice; find a new support group. MFP is wonderful for that, but reaching to someone in your own community would help too. Find a fitness class doing something you enjoy :smile:
  • legmotor
    legmotor Posts: 197 Member
    Family is often the most impatient people we can turn to unfortunately. They have known us our whole lives and have a certain bias towards us now as a result. If you want to make a change and have the kind of encouragement you deserve then you can find friends here, or if budget allows a personal trainer. It is a long and hard journey and I'd venture to say that almost everyone here is for the same reason and we all fall short and need others to pick us back up sometimes. Good Luck. Brush off those tears and be determined to succeed. And if in the end it will be your success and not your father's! HUGS
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    You have to believe in you and not base your self worth on other people's opinions.
  • jeninne
    jeninne Posts: 412 Member
    Wow- just look at all the support you are getting here!! Try to focus on all the wonderful encouragement here. You will find your voice to express yourself to your dad some day. Do this for YOU.
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    First of all, good for you for exercising. Especially something that you haven't done very much of.
    Second, ignore your dad. He obviously is not a good teacher and doesn't have the patience to teach something that he is really good at. People like that can't seem to understand why certain things are difficult for others and why it takes them longer.
    Third, contines exercising and eating healthy. It may be hard at times but keep your eye on your ultimate goal and believe in yourself.
    Most important, stay as active as possible on MFP for affrimation and motivation. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.