Scales!

Options
So at work there is a older scale that just tells you the weight. We are doing the biggest loser here from the end of January to the end of July. On the weekend I picked up a Taylor Body Fat Scale which I love that tells you your muscle mass, body fat, and weight. LOVE IT! The scale at work is 10lbs heavier than the scale at home! So I have decided that the scale at home I will be using from now on. LOL! I wonder why scales can be so off. I doubt that the age of the scale would have anything to do with it but maybe it does.

Replies

• frankie_xox
    frankie_xox Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    How does this work?! I don't understand how standing on the scale would tell you muscle mass and body fat? That would be great to know! (although, I'm already fairly sure that the majority of my weight is fat... haha)
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    It sends electrical signals through the body measuring the resistance in your body. Sorry, but those things are inaccurate. It's fine to measure with it, meaning if the numbers are going down, doesn't matter what it says. Keep in mind it probably isn't giving you your true bodyfat %.
  • pammyedmunds
    pammyedmunds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    well I haven't actually figured out how the scale can determine the muscle mass. LOL. But apparently I have been using the scale on the carpet when I should be using it on the bathroom floor. Will try this tomorrow to see the difference.
  • PodgyPixie
    PodgyPixie Posts: 3
    Options
    So at work there is a older scale that just tells you the weight. We are doing the biggest loser here from the end of January to the end of July. On the weekend I picked up a Taylor Body Fat Scale which I love that tells you your muscle mass, body fat, and weight. LOVE IT! The scale at work is 10lbs heavier than the scale at home! So I have decided that the scale at home I will be using from now on. LOL! I wonder why scales can be so off. I doubt that the age of the scale would have anything to do with it but maybe it does.

Scales need calibrating, especially as they get older, so if your work scale is old & hasn't been calibrated for a while that will account for it being off :)