Eating too much protein.....

Options
acchickpea
acchickpea Posts: 43 Member
So confused... I think that protein is good for you ... MFP gives me 45 counts for protein and I ALWAYS go over that! Can't help it... Love my meat! Is it ok to go over on the protein count? Would that mess up my weight loss?

Replies

• ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    MFP has carbs too high and protein too low. I changed my goals to 30% carbs, 35% protein and 35% fat. Its what a trainer told me once before and it works for me. Rule of thumb is to eat 1 gram of protein for every pound you weigh in order to gain lean muscle.
  • ♥♥YoungMrs♥♥
    Options
    im always over on protein..its nothing to worry about ..Your muscles like it :)
  • skfj5
    skfj5 Posts: 70
    Options
    A lot of people swear by protein heavy diets...and I used to eat like that. But I plateaued once for a really long time, and I finally broke down and talked to my doctor and a fitness professional, and they said that sometimes woman can have TOO MUCH protein...and it works against them.

So I cut back a bit on my protein (for example, I may have a protein shake after a workout...but not a shake AND bar, or a bar as a meal replacement, not a snack)...and I came of my plateau and started losing again.

I think you just have to figure out what's right for you, be willing to change it up as necessary...but most importantly...be healthy and well-rounded. Just like an all-carb diet wouldn't be good for you, an all-protein wouldn't be good fore you either. We need to eat BALANCED, WELL-ROUNDED meals with reasonable portions.

Good Luck!! :)
  • rngreen
    rngreen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Honestly, your body only absorbs the amount of protein that it needs. The rest is broken down and excreted via the urine. However, eating way too much protein can sabotage a diet. If you eat a consistently high level, then the body will start to turn them into triglycerides and store them in your adipose tissue. I believe that as long as you are only going over by a bit, then it should be fine. Also, you have to determine the ratio of macronutrients that work for your body. Not everyone is the same. Some people require additional protein, especially if they are strength training.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your workouts.

If you are cardio-oriented, you will not need nearly as much protein per lb of body weight. (General rule is ~.6 grams per lb of body weight)

If you are trying to build muscle and lifting heavy weights 3+ times a week, you will need more protein (between 1-1.5 grams per lb of body weight)

And as others poster, MFP is structured around cardio based training, therefore they give you more carbs and less protein. I changed mine to 25% Carbs, 25% Fat, 50% Protein, and it's doing pretty good for me. I'm not always exactly on, but I am within a small margin of my goals.
  • KaulGirl
    KaulGirl Posts: 7
    Options
    It's all about balance. There are days where I O.D. on protein and it doesn't hurt me. I just try to be conscience of balancing some green veggies, salads with the protein. If you take fiber and greens completely out, you will hit a plateau. Protein is definately good. I am reminded of the Cave Man days when they didn't have pasta and rice and all those carbs. They survived just fine.

Stress less and be kind to yourself. Your body reacts to that, too. Enjoy!

I'm sooo looking forward to my one huge slice of Birthday Cake this summer ... after I make my goal!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    if your carbs are always under and your protein is always over you can lower your carbs in your settings and it will up your protein. I did it and it works for me.