sweating?

Options
alexa137
alexa137 Posts: 68 Member
just wondering if sweating ALOT burns calories?

Replies

• nichole325
    nichole325 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    BUMP..I'm wondering the same thing,
  • ZannahDia
    ZannahDia Posts: 65
    Options
    Hm, I'm not totally sure...but I heard that sweating releases toxins from your body, so by releasing toxins, it probably helps your body to be able to burn more calories...
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor but to me it means that I am kicking *kitten* in my workout and it gives me motivation to keep going!
    I do know that it means you are burning energy, which does burn calories. Just remember to rehydrate with lots of water throughout the day.
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    Working burns calories. Sweating alone wouldn't burn any significant calories. I'm no scientist though, so I may be wrong. But, I assume sitting in the sauna would burn as much calories as sitting in room temperature. You just lose water weight and probably some other stuff minor stuff.
  • KBDaukas
    KBDaukas Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Depends on what's causing the sweating. If it's exercise than yes! If it's just heat, than no. Some think yes because they weigh themselves and see a weight loos but that's only loss of water not fat.
  • jeninne
    jeninne Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily. I sweat like the proverbial pig...water helps to regulate temperature and I think I sweat so much to help with this. Also when we sweat we eliminate salts, and minerals. We are always suppose to replenish water. Because I sweat sooo much- I also consider the electrolytes too. Just my take :wink:
  • jeninne
    Options
    I guess I meant to say that while I work out I drink tons of water because I sweat so much- oops.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    If you're just sitting in a sauna and sweating you will lose weight because of the water lost from your body. Of course, the moment you step out and drink a bottle of water to rehydrate you gain it all back instantly. Sauna's are for weightloss, they're to help you relax and the sweating releases toxins from your body and even helps clear your pores.
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Read an interesting post on this topic from a doctor a while back and he said that sweating isn't any indication that your workout is actually effective or burning a substantial amount of calories (someone was worried that the fact that they weren't sweating during their workout meant they weren't getting a proper workout).

I think it's better to judge it on your intensity and exertion than by how soggy your clothes are :)
  • FitproLola
    FitproLola Posts: 10
    Options
    Sweating is your body's way of regulating it's temperature to prevent overheating. It does not effect your weight loss in the long run. The more you sweat, the more water weight you may lose but without proper hydration, you put yourself at risk of dehydration, electrolyte loss which can damage your kidneys, heat stroke, or heat exhaustion. All the water that's lost will be regained through the food and beverages you drink after you workout. Hope that helps...
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't think sweat production has any correlation to calories burned. I hardly sweat at all, even when running fast in hot weather. I am just not a sweater.
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    No, it does not burn any calories. Sweat is only the release of water and salts onto your skin to cool you with evaporation.
  • alexa137
    alexa137 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I mean a sweat alot just doing nothing! like if im sitting outside in the sun for hrs chilling at the pool! i kno probably a few cups of sweat fell off me!
  • jeninne
    Options
    Read FitproLola's post. That is right on!
  • FitproLola
    FitproLola Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm the same way. Producing sweat doesn't increase your calorie burn. You could be sitting by the pool or running a marathon. Just make sure you replenish. Symptoms of dehydration are not pleasant! :noway: