The pain chart...SERIOUSLY???

Options
Ya know what??? I hate those stupid "pain charts." They should be banned for usage against (and yes I mean AGAINST!) anyone older than 10.

I went into the cold little room and the doctor asked me, "Look at the chart and tell me how you feel." So I look...

If I pick 0, then WTF am I doing at the doctor's office? Am I mental? So obviously I can't choose 0.

If I pick 10, then I'm a major wimp and then he'd send me to someone for psychiatric help...Right? And then he ads that 10, means your arm was just severed...Awww crap...10's now out.

I wouldn't come into the doctors if was only a 2 or a 4 because then the doctor would think I was too wimpy, give me Motrin and send me home with an eye-roll. Wouldn't 2 or 4 be like a splinter or stubbing your toe on the edge of the coffee table in the middle of the dark at night?

If I chose 6 or 8 then I feel stupid for waiting so long to come in for the problem, and even if I say 8, I will get in trouble for waiting so long, and at that point, he'd send me to the ER, not his clinic. I'm thinking an 8 would be more like birthing contractions...but what does HE know about that, right?

So I guess I could be a 6 for the most part, but I gave birth and ignored a ruptured appendix for 2 months afterwards...So am I usually a stronger pain tolerant person? Where's that on the chart? The backside?

At this point I have waisted almost 3 full minutes looking at the chart, thinking about why I'm even at the office, and feeling not only annoyed, but my palms started to get sweaty. And about this time I'm starting to mentally feel like a ten...Not in the hottie aspect, but more about to cry (which would be a 10) because I friggin can't pick out my pain on this stupid scale!!!

Anyway... I think from now I'm just going to say I'm a 10 and cut to the middle man. Or maybe I'll just pick 10, and then tell him I'm going to alternate between 1 and 10 each time I visit.

Anyone want to join me in the fight against using the pain chart if you are older than 10???

pain-scale.gif

Replies

• PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Ya know what??? I hate those stupid "pain charts." They should be banned for usage against (and yes I mean AGAINST!) anyone older than 10.

I went into the cold little room and the doctor asked me, "Look at the chart and tell me how you feel." So I look...

If I pick 0, then WTF am I doing at the doctor's office? Am I mental? So obviously I can't choose 0.

If I pick 10, then I'm a major wimp and then he'd send me to someone for psychiatric help...Right? And then he ads that 10, means your arm was just severed...Awww crap...10's now out.

I wouldn't come into the doctors if was only a 2 or a 4 because then the doctor would think I was too wimpy, give me Motrin and send me home with an eye-roll. Wouldn't 2 or 4 be like a splinter or stubbing your toe on the edge of the coffee table in the middle of the dark at night?

If I chose 6 or 8 then I feel stupid for waiting so long to come in for the problem, and even if I say 8, I will get in trouble for waiting so long, and at that point, he'd send me to the ER, not his clinic. I'm thinking an 8 would be more like birthing contractions...but what does HE know about that, right?

So I guess I could be a 6 for the most part, but I gave birth and ignored a ruptured appendix for 2 months afterwards...So am I usually a stronger pain tolerant person? Where's that on the chart? The backside?

At this point I have waisted almost 3 full minutes looking at the chart, thinking about why I'm even at the office, and feeling not only annoyed, but my palms started to get sweaty. And about this time I'm starting to mentally feel like a ten...Not in the hottie aspect, but more about to cry (which would be a 10) because I friggin can't pick out my pain on this stupid scale!!!

Anyway... I think from now I'm just going to say I'm a 10 and cut to the middle man. Or maybe I'll just pick 10, and then tell him I'm going to alternate between 1 and 10 each time I visit.

Anyone want to join me in the fight against using the pain chart if you are older than 10???

pain-scale.gif
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    You're a 10 in my eyes oh princess come and do my laundry! :flowerforyou: :heart: :bigsmile:
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    Or next time I could just say, "So 0 means I shouldn't be here right now, and 10 means I'll need an alibi when I leave here?"
  • MelK8RN
    MelK8RN Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    hey i'm with you!! I am a labor and delivery nurse and you can imagine the looks I get when i ask my labor patients to "rate their pain on a scale of one to ten". Although it is funny sometime when i have a first time mom who says "this is a 7" and then an hour later says "i know i said 7 before but this is really a 7". It's like they know that they need to save 10 for later!!:laugh:
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    hey i'm with you!! I am a labor and delivery nurse and you can imagine the looks I get when i ask my labor patients to "rate their pain on a scale of one to ten". Although it is funny sometime when i have a first time mom who says "this is a 7" and then an hour later says "i know i said 7 before but this is really a 7". It's like they know that they need to save 10 for later!!:laugh:

LOL Save the 10 for later!!! BAHHHHH!!!!

Ya, that's the point there...Do I save the 10 for when I bite your arm off or mine? LOL
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    AGREED! Even in the hospital after surgery, I was only ever a 5 or so....

I did say 10 once. My stomach ruptured. It was a 10 on the scale, but I didn't need the smiley face (or not so smily face) to help me decide that pain level!
  • jamdblake4
    Options
    when I show up at the base I'm at 0 by the end of the day it's a 10 LOL.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    when I show up at the base I'm at 0 by the end of the day it's a 10 LOL.

Which base did you say that was?????? :bigsmile:

(pssstttt....Soupy!!! Time to mapquest!!)
  • jamdblake4
    Options
    It's "nas" in tx.
  • BEFORE
    BEFORE Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I give those hospital gowns a 10 for the pain in the butt they are.
  • Shannon023
    Options
    It's "nas" in tx.

Barracks number??? writing.gif
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    It's "nas" in tx.

Down girl!!! :laugh:
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I've seen this chart before but in my doctor's office, it's much more . . . grown-up? It has detailed explanations of which numbers mean what, and what kinds of pain they represent. This one just looks dumb, there's nothing to measure it against. The point is to have a number because doctors and scientists are obsessed with objective data and numerical data.

If you don't like it, go ahead and say so. You shouldn't ever have to feel like your doctor is putting you on the spot or making you uncomfortable!
  • jamdblake4
    Options
  • Shannon023
    Options
    It's "nas" in tx.

Just trying to be welcoming. :bigsmile:
  • BEFORE
    Options
    It's "nas" in tx.

WITH OPEN ARMS NOT OPEN LEGS. :bigsmile:
  • Shannon023
    Options
    It's "nas" in tx.

You weren't so picky in August, noob! :grumble:
  • BEFORE
    Options
    It's "nas" in tx.

You weren't so picky in August, noob! :grumble:
    Oh thanks for reminding me of when the last time was.. :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • BEFORE
    Options
    I am feeling guilty. We hijacked Princesses thread and there is a picture of her sweet innocent daughter at the top.
  • Shannon023
    Options
    I am feeling guilty. We hijacked Princesses thread and there is a picture of her sweet innocent daughter at the top.

:embarassed:

PL - :flowerforyou: :heart: