Anyone make their own yogurt?

Options
pauljsolie
pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
Do you use a machine or make it manually? What kind of machine do you use? Do you like the single batch jars or one large batch type machine? I'm thinking about making my own yogurt and I'm just looking for some feedback. Thanks.

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I make it in the crock pot: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html

It's really good. I strain it to make it thicker, as described near the end of the post. Then for a snack, I thaw out some frozen fruit in a bowl (cherries are my fave) and then when it's thawed, I add my plain yogurt and mix it up. So good. :)

I did learn with my last batch that you have to follow the directions EXACTLY. I decided that it didn't feel like the crock pot was warm enough before I added the yogurt starter, so I turned the heat on for 10 minutes just to give it some more heat. Ruined my whole batch.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    bump for later...I keep saying I want to do this but don't get it done :)
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    you know, you totally dont need a MACHINE. you just need a live yogurt bacteria.
    and some milk.

have been doing this for years.
  • marber
    marber Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I make Easiyo yoghurt very easy to make, lots of flavours and very nice.

I think you can get it in America.
  • pauljsolie
    Options
    you know, you totally dont need a MACHINE. you just need a live yogurt bacteria.
    and some milk.

have been doing this for years.

I see that now. I was looking online and apparently you can use a crock pot or even your stove if you have a good thermometer. I have both so I'm gonna give it a try and will report back. Do use store bought yogurt for a starter or the commercial starter packs?
  • dreamwellali
    Options
    I've done pretty much every method of yogurt making - from crockpot to heating pad to various machines. Right now I've got the single-serve machine (makes 8 at a time) and I like it well enough, but I prefer having one large batch instead. I like the crockpot method the best. I use store-bought (Horizon brand, usually) as my starter and then use a bit of my previous batch as my next starter. It's yummy and creamy and I think tastes better than any store-bought brand, no matter which method you use. I use a little bit of fruit or honey as sweetener, but sometimes will just eat it plain. Also works well for making smoothies if you're into that.

If you want to go with a machine, I'd recommend the Donvier brand, but they're all pretty much the same in the end. I like having the machine more for the thermometer it comes with that marks very clearly "Add starter now".

Just a note if you're using skim milk to make it, be sure to add a little bit of powdered milk as well. Skim milk by itself will result in 0% fat yogurt, which is great, but the lack of fat makes it very runny. Adding the powdered milk counteracts this.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I use an insulated stainless steel wide-mouth thermos (20 oz) to make it--preheat thermos while you're making this.

Heat 2 cups (16 oz) milk** to 170F using a thermometer--you want to scald but not boil it

Let cool to 110F and no less.

Add 1 tablespoon dry powdered milk and 1 tablespoon plain fresh yogurt at room temperature and stir well--make sure the yogurt does not contain anything but milk and culture (no gelatin, sweetener etc); the powdered milk isn't essential but adds extra protein and makes a firmer yogurt.

Empty the preheat water from the thermos and pour your milk mixture into the thermos.

Close lid tightly and put somewhere where it won't be disturbed for at least 8 hours; you can vary the tartness of the yogurt by letting it sit longer (tarter) or shorter periods of time. You'll find what appeals to you by trial & error.

I make it at night and in the morning dump it into a jar and put in the fridge to cool--it'll thicken a bit more as it chills.

Add honey or fruit if that suits your taste. If you're adding vanilla do so immediately before eating rather than stirring into the whole batch.

**Milk: I use 3% goat milk because I like it; use whatever you like. I've found using skim or 1% makes for a softer yogurt whereas I prefer it firmer.

Enoy!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Don't know why, but yogurt that comes in a nice pretty container seems less "yucky" to me that the idea of DIY. Somehoe commercially prepared cultures sound better than home prepared cultures. :sick: Don't know why--I know there is no real reason to feel this way. Just me being weird, I guess. Anyway, hope it goes well for you! :wink:
  • tthomas73
    tthomas73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    my partner belongs to a yogurt co-op and they make the yogurt...and it is really good. I will pass on your questions to her...good luck!
  • pauljsolie
    Options
    I've done pretty much every method of yogurt making - from crockpot to heating pad to various machines. Right now I've got the single-serve machine (makes 8 at a time) and I like it well enough, but I prefer having one large batch instead. I like the crockpot method the best. I use store-bought (Horizon brand, usually) as my starter and then use a bit of my previous batch as my next starter. It's yummy and creamy and I think tastes better than any store-bought brand, no matter which method you use. I use a little bit of fruit or honey as sweetener, but sometimes will just eat it plain. Also works well for making smoothies if you're into that.

If you want to go with a machine, I'd recommend the Donvier brand, but they're all pretty much the same in the end. I like having the machine more for the thermometer it comes with that marks very clearly "Add starter now".

Just a note if you're using skim milk to make it, be sure to add a little bit of powdered milk as well. Skim milk by itself will result in 0% fat yogurt, which is great, but the lack of fat makes it very runny. Adding the powdered milk counteracts this.

None of the crock pot methods I looked at mention anything about checking the temperature of the milk. Just set on low for 3 hours. Do you need to monitor the milk temperature in a crock pot? Thanks for the info everyone. I love MFP, we have the most friendly and knowlegeable members.
  • ajbeans
    Options
    I don't have a thermometer, so I just follow the directions for the crock pot in the link I posted earlier. It's never been a problem, except when I didn't follow the instructions.
  • pauljsolie
    Options
    Ok, thanks ajbeans. Yeah when I think I know better than the rest, I usually screw things up.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    I made yogurt several years ago in the stove with varying degrees of success. Your question has inspired me to try it again - in a crockpot!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to make my own for a while now, but have been nervous about it.
    Is there any way to screw it up, meaning getting sick because of the cultures or somehow spoiling the dairy in the process?
  • Pea4jjab
    Pea4jjab Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I make my own for our family in my crock pot and then strain the whey out for a thicker consistency. It's fabulous!
  • pauljsolie
    Options
    THE MILK JUST GOT POURED INTO THE CROCKPOT. I will give you step by step updates. I'll check back with you all in 2.5 hours.
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    In my experience, starter from commercial yogurt doesn't tend to have very good consistency (ie pretty runny) and has a fairly bland flavor. I much prefer a good powder starter. I also like single cup batches rather than a whole pot batch, but that's just because it makes portions simpler and easy to grab.
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    marking to read later!
  • ajbeans
    Options
    THE MILK JUST GOT POURED INTO THE CROCKPOT. I will give you step by step updates. I'll check back with you all in 2.5 hours.

Don't open the lid until you're ready to do the next step! Good luck! :)