Emotional Binging

Options
BarnDogBob
BarnDogBob Posts: 104 Member
Starting this program and watching the calories made me really think about what my motivational factors were for over-indulging. When I am level-headed and determined, I do well. This made me come to the realization that I am an emotional binger. How about you? Are you one of these? Feel free to add your category.

The Sad Binger: I am feeling blue so I go to the comfort foods that will make me feel better but cause intense guilt seconds after I finish stuffing my face.

The Celebration Binger: I am on top of the world! Nothing can stop me, not even the entire desert table until the party is over and I have to roll myself home.

The Dealmaker Binger: I know I should not have this decadent meal but I promise myself I will make it up with intense cardio later but later becomes tomorrow

Whats your emotional binging foe?

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Bored binger: Nothing to do? Eating is a thing. Omnomnom

Shame binger: I know this is bad for me so I will stash it away and shove it down my gullet when no one is watching so no one can comment and make me feel fat.

Emo binger: Nothing matters anyway. I'm stupid and weak and ugly. Even if I lost all my weight no one will even love me except my cats and they don't care if I'm fat.
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Emotion in general is my foe. I am an emotionall eater, and it has been quite the battle for me. I tend to do better if I can busy my hands, mind, body with something besides eating. Changing this habit is not going to be easy, but I intend to win this one! :drinker:

I have found that lately I am really getting hard on myself when I catch my self starting to do this, or failing to control it.
  • SweetPrettyBrown
    SweetPrettyBrown Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Emotional Binger: I was dealing with depression and every day I would binge eat and sleep. I never got out of bed, I never went anywhere but work and to bed. Once I started taking my meds, I became better at handling my binge eating. I cheat every now and then but I have learned to control it.
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    Lonely Binger - My husband went out of town and I miss him......
  • marchegt
    marchegt Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Sad binger right here. Or would it be jealous? Every thursday night my wonderful boyfriend works till 2am with a gorgeous, inappropriately flirty, "fun, interesting, easy to talk to" (his words) blonde girl. I am going out to buy chips, peanut butter M&M's, and a bottle of wine to get me through this thursday night. Sad binger allllll the way!
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    The indecisive binger - I'm not even sure if I'm hungry or not but maybe I'll eat since I'm thinking about it anyways.

The I-Just-grocery-shopped-binger - OMG I just got all this great stuff that I want to try a bit of NOW.

The pre-binge - I'm going to be out for a long time today so instead of taking a healthy snack with me, I'll just eat my face off before I leave the house!
  • KatieBunnell
    Options
    I am pathetic; I am every single one that was mentioned. If I'm stressed, lonely, bored, upset. I hide it from my husband because I don't want to disappoint him. I can't say no to desserts or food at a wedding.
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    CAN I SAY THAT I AM A BIT OF EACH???
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    The tired binger- Im so tired I dont care what kind of food I eat and how much
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I think binging is almost a taught action.
    If you think about how if you fell down Mom/Dad would say "You're okay, here have a lolly pop, it makes it all better." Even the "If you're good in the store I'll buy you a candy bar" bribe is adding into this. Instead of dealing with a problem it's redirecting it to a very bad habit. I know not all parents are this way but I know a huge majority that are.
    Then you move on to celebrations.
    Birthdays, Showers...just because it's Friday....and even when a person passes on.
    I am an admitted binger Sad/Mad/Celebatory...but I'm working on finding other means to deal with those emotions besides chips and chocolate. :)
  • McHeather
    McHeather Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Stress Binge! Avoidance Binge! When there's something I need to do but don't want to I feel stressed and eat to avoid it. I've also binged because I'm bored, sad, tired, angry, relieved, need a smoke (quit 10 years ago) - you name it I can medicate with food. I'm getting much better at controlling the binges. I haven't had a full 2000+ calorie binge for a long while. Now that I know what I'm putting into body, I can talk myself out of it. I sure hate the way my body feels when I've binged. I'm battling depression as well so the binges can easily put me into a downward spiral.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    RN-after-a-long-stressful-shift-binger: need I say more??
  • kshaw09
    kshaw09 Posts: 48
    Options
    I fall under every catagorie of binge eating, working on getting it under control tho. Good luck to everyone :)
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options

No clue who she is but I think what she is saying about stress eating is pretty dead on.

I certainly stress eat but if I am too stressed I just stop eating entirely and then when the stress level comes down some I am famished and then make up for lost time.
  • _Aimée_
    _Aimée_ Posts: 190
    Options
    My toddler reeeeeeally makes me want chocolate! Look I'm walking, now I'm crying, now I'm eating and spreading it everywhere, now I'm crying, now I'm trying to kill myself on the stairs, now I'm crying, my teeth hurt, I'm crying, I don't want to go in my buggy, I'm crying. Aaaarrrgh!!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Im definately a

CELEBRATORY BINGER- Any excuse to celebrate, and I buy brownies icecream, chips pop, candy etc, and eat until my body just cant handle any more. If my friend comes and visits, if people come over for dinner, if there is a game on tv and people come over. If we just won a soccer game. Etc

I am also

LIFE-OUT-OF-CONTROL Binger- meaining, I eat when ever I don't feel like I have control over something, be it, a job, a committment, my weight loss isn't moving, Im not getting better at something etc. Then its all a cause to binge

HOWEVER- I only binge maybe once or twice a month and it isn't full on binging anymore. I am so much better and I am so greatful!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I am pathetic; I am every single one that was mentioned. If I'm stressed, lonely, bored, upset. I hide it from my husband because I don't want to disappoint him. I can't say no to desserts or food at a wedding.

You're not pathetic! Don't say that! We just have some bad habits to work on. I'm sure your husband loves you and would never be disappointed because you're human and actually have a weakness *hug*
  • 000angie000
    000angie000 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    ME!! --- Avoidance Binge! When there's something I need to do but don't want to I feel stressed and eat to avoid it.

I also binge when I feel out of control of a situation...

I have not binged in about 4 months but I battle it daily....

We have overcome!!
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I'm a clock eater/binger.... every day at 3:45 I swear my body say's "FEED ME" - so I scramble to find something to eat. I'm good all day, until the clock hit's 3:45. Started stashing some better snacks at my desk to overcome this time frame.