How your body burns fat

Options
K1Teacher
K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
Interesting article...

http://www.active.com/fitness/Articles/How-Does-Your-Body-Burn-Fat.htm?cmp=17-7-692

Up to 85% of your calorie burn has nothing to do with your exercise routine! Food choices are KEY to weight loss.
Have a great day everyone...make good choices :wink:

Replies

• msbrownbeauty87
    msbrownbeauty87 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Interesting article...

http://www.active.com/fitness/Articles/How-Does-Your-Body-Burn-Fat.htm?cmp=17-7-692

Up to 85% of your calorie burn has nothing to do with your exercise routine! Food choices are KEY to weight loss.
    Have a great day everyone...make good choices :wink:

BUMP
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thank you for sharing!
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I especially love this ayalysis:

"Fat doesn't just show up at your door one day, rent a room, and live alone quietly. Fat loves company. Fat's organizing a cocktail party where nobody ever goes home and everyone hangs out around your midsection. The more fat you open the door to, the harder it will be to stop even more fat from inviting itself in."

Thanks for posting the link.
  • jocelynlewis
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    This article explains metabolism and how it works very well. Great article. Thanks for sharing.
  • time2runnn
    time2runnn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for sharing this Shanna!!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jerjan
    jerjan Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great Article!! Makes things more clear for me. Thanx :happy:
  • lennykat
    lennykat Posts: 89
    Options
    Awesome article on how metabolism works. Explains stuff quite simply!

On the other end I emailed the last paragraph to my mom who: a former athlete at 63 yearsold, has the bones of an 85 year old and now weighs 118lbs and doesn't understand why she is so thin. Well the info on muscle loss as we age is the answer! Hopefully it will get her back to looking for a gym.

Sometimes its important to realize that some people need to eat right and exercise for more than just losing weight.

On a side note, she told me the other day she went to her local Curves (because that's where the older ladies in her small town go) and they turned her away saying "it was counterproductive to have her in there because she is what everybody there is working toward."

She left in tears, because she is on the other end of the spectrum. Not trying to lose weight- but trying to build back bone and muscle utilizing medicine as well as her meds. If I had live there....I woulda....
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Awesome article on how metabolism works. Explains stuff quite simply!

On the other end I emailed the last paragraph to my mom who: a former athlete at 63 yearsold, has the bones of an 85 year old and now weighs 118lbs and doesn't understand why she is so thin. Well the info on muscle loss as we age is the answer! Hopefully it will get her back to looking for a gym.

Sometimes its important to realize that some people need to eat right and exercise for more than just losing weight.

On a side note, she told me the other day she went to her local Curves (because that's where the older ladies in her small town go) and they turned her away saying "it was counterproductive to have her in there because she is what everybody there is working toward."

She left in tears, because she is on the other end of the spectrum. Not trying to lose weight- but trying to build back bone and muscle utilizing medicine as well as her meds. If I had live there....I woulda....

That is HORRIBLE! They should be ashamed of themselves. I'm sure the administration would not be happy to hear that - it should be a SAFE place for ALL women. So sad...

You're welcome everyone! It just firmed up what I was already kinda thinking - you can't just "burn" cookies away...lol!
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    this is awesome! i like this:

"the term "fat and lazy" is pretty accurate from a scientific standpoint. Fat is lazy, on a metabolic level. It barely burns any calories at all. For your body to support a pound of fat, it needs to burn a mere 2 calories a day. Muscle, on the other hand, is very metabolically active.

This is key (and why muscle is your BFF): At rest, 1 pound of muscle burns three times as many calories every day just to sustain itself—and a lot of those calories that muscle burns off come from fat's storage units. That's why fat hates muscle (and why you should love muscle), because muscle is constantly burning fat off. "
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    this is awesome! i like this:

"the term "fat and lazy" is pretty accurate from a scientific standpoint. Fat is lazy, on a metabolic level. It barely burns any calories at all. For your body to support a pound of fat, it needs to burn a mere 2 calories a day. Muscle, on the other hand, is very metabolically active.

This is key (and why muscle is your BFF): At rest, 1 pound of muscle burns three times as many calories every day just to sustain itself—and a lot of those calories that muscle burns off come from fat's storage units. That's why fat hates muscle (and why you should love muscle), because muscle is constantly burning fat off. "

But still muscle does not burn much. I could have 20lbs more muscle than someone the same weight as me and I would burn 80 more calories than him a day....thats nothing. Muscle burns 6 calories per lb.
  • gtm124
    gtm124 Posts: 179
    Options
    Great article and thanks for sharing. I know it came from the Women's Health magazine, but it definitely applies to men as well as most men's 'pot bellies' are nothing more than a mass of visceral fat and leads to high blood pressure, etc. I am going to do some more research on that because my build lends itself to a 'pot belly' or apple shaped body. And at my age I need to work on muscle retention. Thanks again for posting that link. :wink:
  • Altiv
    Altiv Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bump, thanks for sharing!