Motivating my kids to exercise

Options
I would like to instill healthy patterns of exercise in my children. I don't however want to be an exerciser enforcer. My daughter is 8 and is a bean pole. My son is 10 and has chunked up a bit over the last couple years. I was a chubby kid and unfortunately for him, he is built just like me. Long story short..my mother made comments...I ended up with major body image issues that I still battle today. I don't want my kids to end up like me. So I want to encourage the healthy eating and exercise habit now.

I talk about eating right and exercising so that my heart stays healthy and that I will love a long time. I never talk about being fat or being on a diet. Words can just be soooooooooooo damaging without even realizing what you are saying.

Any suggestions on how to make them more excited about exercise. Money motivates them more than anything. I thought about making a chart and offering a "reward" for each mile they walk or ride on their bike etc. Just trying to get some thoughts on the issue. Thanks.

Replies

• ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I would like to instill healthy patterns of exercise in my children. I don't however want to be an exerciser enforcer. My daughter is 8 and is a bean pole. My son is 10 and has chunked up a bit over the last couple years. I was a chubby kid and unfortunately for him, he is built just like me. Long story short..my mother made comments...I ended up with major body image issues that I still battle today. I don't want my kids to end up like me. So I want to encourage the healthy eating and exercise habit now.

I talk about eating right and exercising so that my heart stays healthy and that I will love a long time. I never talk about being fat or being on a diet. Words can just be soooooooooooo damaging without even realizing what you are saying.

Any suggestions on how to make them more excited about exercise. Money motivates them more than anything. I thought about making a chart and offering a "reward" for each mile they walk or ride on their bike etc. Just trying to get some thoughts on the issue. Thanks.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    1 no TV except for occational
    2 you could get a wii (or some other video game ) which has some pretty active games
    3 Do things with your kids, play ball (base ball, volleyball, basket ball), family walks or bike rides, jump on the trampoline, go bowling, swimming golfing.
    4 be a role model and be active
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think it's a good idea to offer money....that doesn't instill a positive attitude towards exercise that focuses on intangible rewards like health and improved mental state. I feel that it associates exercise with something you have to do to get money, like housework. When they grow up, they'll be the ones paying to exercise (to buy good shoes, or a bike, or a gym membership), so I think it's important to get them to enjoy it for what it is now so they'll be okay with investing in it later.

If you want them to exercise, just exercise with them. Take them for walks or jogs, play outdoor games with them, make snowmen or play in the leaves or play catch, get them rollerblades...use functional activities rather than a set exercise schedule. They're 10 and 8, they want to play, not pop their Ipod on and speedwalk for 20 minutes. :smile:

My little sister is 11, and she used to eat a TON of junk food and sit around a lot. Once she saw her big sister eating healthy and working out a lot, she started to actually make healthy choices and now likes to run track and wants to do cheerleading. It didn't take any work on my part, I just told her how much I enjoyed it when she asked about it. Her rewards come in the form of beating the boys in races and having a social circle of people who are also active.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Hi!! I'm so glad you asked this question because I am the daughter of a parent who has instilled in me the drive for physical activity. How did she do it? Modeling. Not high fashion of course, but she modeled the need for exercise by taking us to do active things. We used to go to the roller/ice rink on a weekly basis, skating through the forest preserve trails, and rollerblading on the lakefront when she'd make us stay home from school to play hooky. We didn't like playing hooky because we felt school was more important, but that's another lesson learned from watching how hard my mother worked. She loved rollerblading (it became popular when I was a kid in the late 80s/90s) and any other form of skating so that's what we did. Today I love all forms of exercise and I owe it all to my mother and her modeling of the behaviors (including healthy eating) that I have returned to today. Sure, in college I strayed, but I'm back now and it's easy to know what to do, she taught me well. :smooched:
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Kids naturally take after those around them... so see if they have interest in signing up for a physical activity (sports/dance/etc). If they are around those who are active they may be more likely to pick up on it.

I also highly agree about leading my example. You can't deny a certain food to kids and then have it yourself.

Do things WITH your kids. Do things that they enjoy. Now is a great time to make them realize that exercise can be fun, and not horrible. The key to any program is finding something you love to do... so ask them what they enjoy (physical stuff) and then get them involved in it as you can.

Of course, educating them about it is good too. Kids love to learn (even those who deny it)... especially if they know the effects "bad" things will have on them, then they'd be more likely to say no to them.

Don't keep things in the house that are "bad." Make treats TREATS. So, don't have ice cream at home... go out for it... maybe once per week. Don't keep prepackaged cookies or whatnot around the house... if they want baked goods make them bake it from scratch (with your assitance of cource)... then you know exactly what is going in it.
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Options
    Actions speak louder than words. I was a chubby kid, too, and yes, it does mess with your self image. So, just be a great role model and make it fun!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I think for this to become a lifetime habit it needs to be fun.

Find some activity that they enjoy, swimming, biking, hiking, soccer, basketball... and support and encourage that. From that you may teach them that to improve in whatever endeavor they need to practice running or do some other daily practace.

I think if you use money as the motivation the behavior will stop when the reward does.
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I respectfully disagree with one poster about motivation. We all know that there are two types; intrinsic and extrinsic. As adults, many of us are intrinsically motivated since we know about the long-term benefits of an active lifestyle. Young people don't see the long-term consequences of their actions (or inaction, as the case may be) because that part of their brain isn't fully developed.

In fact, there is good research that shows that the part of the brain responsible for action-consequences type thinking isn't completely developed until a person is well into their 20's. That helps to explain risk-taking behavior in young people.

The other type of motivation is extrinsic and that can often be reward based. While it's not ideal, you may have to resort to rewards to get them to exercise. When they get older, they will hopefully transition to intrinsic motivation and they'll be active of their own accord. I would not advise "making" them exercise as that might backfire and turn them off to it.

I'm a teacher and I see this every day. Some students are intrinsically motivated but, at 16, many are not. The way we motivate them is to lead by example, as many have suggested, and provide rewards (good grades, praise, etc.) and punishment (bad grades, verbal reprimands, etc.)

You may also have to nail their allowance to the tree at the top of the hill. The way my father did it was by taking me hiking, biking, hunting, fishing, etc. The way my mother did it was by her own in-action. My sister and I had to do all the shopping, laundry, cleaning, etc. If we wanted a break, we had to go outside and do something.
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I was too lazy to real all the replies, so I'm sorry if I repeat. I don't talk about dieting or being fat with my daughter either. She is 6, super skinny, and very impressionable right now. I encourage any physical activity she wants to do. We both bought new roller blades for the summer. In the winter we go ice skating. We did tons of swimming this year. She comes with me to walk the dog. We also do lots of bike riding. Sometimes I even jump rope or hula-hoop with her (although I can't keep that going around anymore for more than one second).

I think that's the best way....involve them and do things together.

-Katy
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. Lots of great ideas!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I have to agree that being a good role model is the best motivation for your kids. I got into running after I had my 3rd child and my kids got used to seeing me run and race. They've been awesome support for me at my races! And then I found some local kids races and they LOVE doing them. Most of the time they get a medal. I started triathlons this summer and my 2 older girls did a kids tri and got a really awesome trophy. (that's that pic that is my profile) They thought it was sooo fun!

I've never *forced* them to do anything. Most nights that it is nice out, we walk or bike around the block after dinner, play tag, etc. They play outside in the summer, we go to the pool, park, etc. Just keeping active!! I also limit their tv and computer time. They play soccer in the spring and are starting swimming lessons this fall. I let them choose the activity because I want them to do something that they enjoy.

I also talk about healthy choices, and healthy foods. I never use use the word fat and have taught them how to eat healthy. It's just what works for my family!

Jess (mom to 3 girls ages 9, 7, & 5)