Am I losing weight to fast.

Options
I started a little over a week ago. I weighed my self at 9:00pm and came up with 213. Yesterday, I weighed myself at the same time wearing the exact same clothes and I weigh 209. The circumstances were the same. I weighed myself after I had exercised and eaten. I weighed myself again today and came up with the same weight. Could I have lost 4 pounds in a little over a week. I have gone running every day for a least a half an hour. I also do arm exercises with hand weights. I have also been under my calorie limit almost everyday. I'm doing the pound a week calorie limit. I have been eating well and I don't feel hungry.

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Easily. You lose weight faster to start with, just don't expect the huge losses to continue month after month. A friend of mine just lost over 10lbs in her first week of low carbing (sorry to use you as an example if you are reading this, you are amazing!).
  • KChristie976
    KChristie976 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I weighed the same as you a week ago. And today I stepped on the scale and was 5 lbs lighter!!! I have been watching calories and working out for 40 minutes a day. I also cut out all soda from my diet. It feels great to see some results!!!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I lost "10 pounds" my first week. I was thrilled... but it was just water weight and my body's reaction to the healthier foods and increased water intake.
    It lasted a few months, not 10 pounds a week, but I was losing more than my goal of 1.5 a week.
    Don't get too used to it, it will slow down greatly. :(( Esp once your get closer to your recommend BMI.
    Great work!!! Keep it up!
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is totally possible, your scale doesn't lie! I once had a loss of 7lbs my first week of doing Weight Watchers...But no, the weight loss is sadly not that easy from here on! You will slow down now, have good weeks, not-so-good weeks, but you're on the right track. What a great way to start! GFY!
  • jessicajoy87
    jessicajoy87 Posts: 905
    Options
    Most people lose a good amount the first couple weeks and then it will start to slow down. The problem with most people is that they think they will be losing this high amount week after week and they get discouraged easily. A lot of the weight this week is water weight. Keep up the good work!
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    When you first start you're body tends to let go of some of the extra water it was hanging on to, that's perfectly normal. After a couple of weeks the weight loss will slow down.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Like the other posts, the first couple of weeks will be huge losses but after that..the real weight loss begins. I lost 9lbs in 9 days when I first started.
  • jamiefire7
    jamiefire7 Posts: 50
    Options
    Totally possible! Contrats!! They are right that the weight loss will slow down with time. I would also recommend weighing first thing in the morning. Only because your weight can fluctuate so much through the day. I find that in the morning is the most accurate. before I get my day going
  • McDougal416
    McDougal416 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    No..just don't expect to lose that every week...but normally the first week of doing stuff you have the tendency to lose faster and the most....Also..weighing at night and weighing in the morning you are going to get different results. You weigh more at night than you do in the morning. Weigh first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom and before eating and drinking and excersise...and you will get the weight that is true. Good Luck and Keep it up! Sounds like you are doing great!!!
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 pounds my first week but have been losing 1-2 lbs since except for this week.....3.5 lbs.
  • Choltor
    Choltor Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My first week, I lost ten pounds. My diet and exercise have been aggressive, and my routine has not changed. But since that first week, I've lost between one and two pounds each week.

The reason I have seen most often for this is water weight loss at the start. I really have no idea what the cause really is, but this initial weight loss seems very common.

So try not to worry about it, unless continue to lose so much over the next several weeks.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I dropped 4 lbs my first week and my fiancée dropped 8lbs. That was last week, I have been checking the scale every morning and i think i might be dropping 1/2 a lb a day so far.. I dont know if that will stick or if it healthy. But i am following all the rules so i am not complaining.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Weigh once a week. Give your Body time to metabolize your food and liquids, and take in your exercise. You are new and you will settle down relative to wt fluctuations. Give yourself a break, one week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 4 weeks...does NOT make a habit. If you continue to weigh everyday you will become discouraged when your Body begin to "Assert" itself, and we will see you posting again about being "Frustrated." Good Health and Wt Loss is a Marathon, NOT a race; if you are on a "Diet" rather than having a diet then it is a race>crash>and burn.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I started a little over a week ago. I weighed my self at 9:00pm and came up with 213. Yesterday, I weighed myself at the same time wearing the exact same clothes and I weigh 209. The circumstances were the same. I weighed myself after I had exercised and eaten. I weighed myself again today and came up with the same weight. Could I have lost 4 pounds in a little over a week. I have gone running every day for a least a half an hour. I also do arm exercises with hand weights. I have also been under my calorie limit almost everyday. I'm doing the pound a week calorie limit. I have been eating well and I don't feel hungry.
    Well, you DID lose that weight in a week, assuming your scale isn't broken. :-)

Are you losing weight "too fast"?

If you're 125 pound, 5' 3", female that could indicate a problem but if you're male, 294.5 pounds, 6' 1" that could indicate a "slow start".

It would help if folks knew your height, wait, gender, and could view your diary.

I've found it very beneficial to weigh myself everyday and chart my weight. In addition to showing when I'm losing weight and when I'm not, it has given me the understanding that I am in control of my weight and my body. Very helpful.

Best of luck in your journey!
  • serendipity22
    serendipity22 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Great. Thanks for your help. I don't expect to lose weight fast. My goal is two to four pounds a month. I will just enjoy this weight lose. The pounds are gone and they are not coming back if I keep doing what I'm doing. I'm also tracking my measurements. If I don't lose pounds but inches instead then I'll be happy.
  • serendipity22
    serendipity22 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself every day. I weighed myself once last week, once yesterday and once today to see if it was a fluke yesterday. I started at 213, I'm 5'5 and a girl.