Lift like a guy, look like a goddess or the other...

Options
13»

Replies

• ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Start lifting now and don't wait. I started lifting about 8 years ago and I learned by watching trainers at the gym. Take a look at New rules of lifting for women....I got it used for about $10 from Amazon. Also, check out bodybuilding.com. The only problem with this site is they don't give you a lot of variety. I get bored so I like to do various things while I'm at the gym. Lift heavy!!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I just ordered that book from Amazon (New Rules of Lifting for Women), and I can't WAIT! I do weight training 3x/wk, and after 4 mos, my butt sits higher, everything is tighter, I have better muscle tone....and I'm burning more calories all day long, than ever before. But I want to see if I can increase my muscle mass, and finally get a 6 pack (hence the book).

So don't listen to those guys in the gym! You can do it! And if you follow through, in a few months, you'll be SMOKIN'!!!

So true.....that's another benefit of lifting, my butt has lifted like a 20 yr old and several people have noticed among my gym friends and my close friends/family.......I love it! :flowerforyou:

Same here...my butt didn't even look this good in highschool!!! :wink:
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I just ordered that book from Amazon (New Rules of Lifting for Women), and I can't WAIT! I do weight training 3x/wk, and after 4 mos, my butt sits higher, everything is tighter, I have better muscle tone....and I'm burning more calories all day long, than ever before. But I want to see if I can increase my muscle mass, and finally get a 6 pack (hence the book).

So don't listen to those guys in the gym! You can do it! And if you follow through, in a few months, you'll be SMOKIN'!!!

So true.....that's another benefit of lifting, my butt has lifted like a 20 yr old and several people have noticed among my gym friends and my close friends/family.......I love it! :flowerforyou:

Same here...my butt didn't even look this good in highschool!!! :wink:

:laugh: Mine either.
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I am ordering the books now! I am going to lift now and lift heavy and I am so PUMPED to do this! Thank you everyone for inspiring me! My only wish is if some of you were at my gym and could do it with me. But I will just think of all you ladies all over the world with better butts and lifting heavy! It would be cool if I could fast forward 5 months to what the END result will be, (I really want to see my butt look like my high school years or better) but if I have learned anything it's slow and steady wins the race and of course it took me awhile to get unfit so it will take awhile to be fit! I can't wait to flaunt the new smokin" me to the manly gym rats. I think I will wear baggy clothes the whole time then one day be like BOOM and wear a cute little pink girly workout thingy! That will teach 'em! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am ordering the books now! I am going to lift now and lift heavy and I am so PUMPED to do this! Thank you everyone for inspiring me! My only wish is if some of you were at my gym and could do it with me. But I will just think of all you ladies all over the world with better butts and lifting heavy! It would be cool if I could fast forward 5 months to what the END result will be, (I really want to see my butt look like my high school years or better) but if I have learned anything it's slow and steady wins the race and of course it took me awhile to get unfit so it will take awhile to be fit! I can't wait to flaunt the new smokin" me to the manly gym rats. I think I will wear baggy clothes the whole time then one day be like BOOM and wear a cute little pink girly workout thingy! That will teach 'em! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Love it! :flowerforyou:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options

Good for you!!! I will share with you one of my major milestones achieved over the last 8 months...I used to only be able to bicep curl 5lbs, then 10, then 15, now 20 and ready to move on to 25! Same with lunges and step ups! It really helps increase your strength if you stick with it!
  • JudoJones
    JudoJones Posts: 54
    Options
    Machine vs free Weights Pro's & Cons
    =====================================
    Machine Allow for quickly changing weights & machines which is great for interval training and burning calories.

Free Weights are great for secondary muscles. As in, you have to be able to staibalize the weight throughout out its range of motion requiring more muscle cordination and better overall toning.
  • britachu
    britachu Posts: 157
    Options
    I feel totally inspired to start lifting now :)
  • texastae1010
    texastae1010 Posts: 165
    Options
    Due to you ladies and the Amazon kindle I had to get this book and I can't put it down....I have tried weights before but always felt like I bulked up and I believe it was in the first chapter he said something of the nature we as women get inflammation so we think we are bulking lol...I haven't finished reading it...but I have about 80lbs to lose so my question is ...should I just keep going extreme cardio I have already lost a big chunky of weight before joining mfp or go ahead and add it in?? you ladies rock
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else about the lifting, I love it and it's made a big difference for me, unfortunately I've had to take a break for the last month or so but can't wait to get back on it.

Really wouldn't take any notice of MOST of the muscley gym guys, in my experience they know next to nothing about anything other than bulking up - even one of the bulked up personal trainers told me that as a girl I shouldn't be doing free weights unless I wanted "a thick neck" !

Read up online and on forums, and ignore what other people are up to in the gym, your goals are your own! Good luck :)
  • FauxAngel13
    FauxAngel13 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My trainer had me on one of the free weight bicep curl "machines" and one of the bigger guys was waiting for the machine and said to her "Why don't you have her go over to the machine over there?" pointing to one of the cable machines. My trainer ripped him a new one. It was epic and great.

Awesome! I hang around in the guys section at the gym becuase I find the women who use the womens weights area are too *****y, the buys give you a hard time at first, but once they see what you are about and that you are lifting big they can be pretty supprtive :-)
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Lift now, and lift heavy.
  • DontWeightStartNow
    Options

OMG, girl....have you looked down lately? YOU HAVE A SIX PACK!!!! You look awesome, btw.
  • paprikas
    paprikas Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy at the gym has completely changed my body. My fat percentage went down from 39% to 23% and I get to eat around 2000 cals per day.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    You will not bulk up like a man. Period. It's a myth. Do all the lifting you want.

Not totally true. You can bulk up like a man but it's very rare with most women. It's all about how much free flowing testosterone is in your blood stream. With MOST women you have very little BUT some women do have more then others. The ones that have more then others you can usually tell by definition of muscle structure and overall apparent lean fat mass.

I'd like to see a picture of that.