my new HRM

Options
I just purchased the Sportline S7 7-function ecg heart rate watch from WalMart and I am not sure if was a good buy or not? It didn't ask me for my weight or height so how can t accurately calculate how many calories I burn? All you enter is age and sex. I did a 30 minute cardio video, MFP said I would have burned 298 calories and the HRM said 441!!! I think that is WAY too much?

Replies

• kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Options
    BUMP

I'd also like suggestions on the best ones... going to get one this summer...
  • grlygrl123
    grlygrl123 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I bought this one recently and I love it!

http://www.suunto.com/en-US/Products/Training-Hr-Monitors/suunto-m2/Suunto-M2-Fuchsia/

I paid around $130 dollars for it. The chest strap is super comfortable too.
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Does it have a chest strap also? If it doesn't, it won't be very accurate. Most people will chime in and recommend a Polar.... I have the FT4 model, paid around $75 for it, and it was worth every penny. I was hesitant about the awkward chest strap, but I barely notice it!
  • DropsOJupiter
    DropsOJupiter Posts: 131
    Options
    IMHO your instincts are correct. The calorie (energy) expenditures of any mass depends on the weight of the mass moving. While I've found MFP to have escalated exercise calorie rates compared to my own HRM (my preference is the Polar F7), I believe my HRM is more accurate as it does request more physical information. I started with the Sportline and used it until I got the Polar. On the up side, you did 30 minutes of cardio so you did burn calories!!!
  • lifeisadancefloor
    lifeisadancefloor Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't have a chest strap, on the box it says "No Chest Strap Needed"
  • jenniefromtherock
    jenniefromtherock Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have a polar ft7 and it does ask for age, height, weight, and sex. I used the hrm on my treadmill and decided to compare and there wasonly a 30 cal difference in calories burned. Got mine on ebay, less than 120 with shipping!
  • grlygrl123
    Options
    For it to be accurate, you will need a chest strap :(
  • rngreen
    rngreen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I bought a Sportline SX which comes with a chest strap a couple of months ago. When setting it up it asks for height and weight as well as age and sex. Press and hold the mode button until it starts to blink. You should be able to enter all of your info.

If your particular HRM doesn't allow for weight and height, it is just going by the average for age and sex. Not very accurate. I would take it back and get a different model if you can't enter your weight and height info. Also, since its doesn't include a chest strap, I would return it.
  • lifeisadancefloor
    lifeisadancefloor Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your posts :) It looks like I am going to take this back and get a better one :( I was so excited too, oh well I want it to be accurate. I should have known when it was only $50 guess I got what I paid for ughh
  • laloushka
    laloushka Posts: 5
    Options
    @lifeisadancefloor, thank you for starting this thread as am on your same quest of finding an accurate HRM. i bought a Timex T5G971, i liked the chest strap but the calorie counter must be wrong 'cause it said i burned 500 cals in 30 min on elliptical. well, based on the calorie expenditure formula it could be true, but my watch didn't ask for age, height or sex, i onlt had to set my weight!! so, here i am again on the quest. heared alot about Polar FT4 and FT7 and i wanted to know which one lets you set all parameters (age, sex, weight and height)??
    @grlygrl123 does your Sunnto let you set all parameters??
    @rngreen what about yours? can you please tell me what model is yours??
  • grlygrl123
    Options
    Yes, you have to put in all you settings/measurements.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 all the way! I got mine for about 79 dollars off drugstore.com and it is the best investment I ever made... So easy to use and it is accurate.